Fistulotomy & pilonidal at the same time. Good idea?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fistulotomy & pilonidal at the same time. Good idea?

Postby igotonequestion » 20 Sep 2012, 14:22

I have 4 small pilonidal sinuses and an (unrelated) anal fistula. The doctor said to get operated for both at the same time "while she's at it." Is this a good idea or is it better to do the each operation separately?
My concern is that the healing/caring for the fistula will impede the healing and caring for the pilonidal operation and vice versa.
Edit:
The problem with the pilonidal operation is that apparently it's gonna make sitz baths very difficult... Can't get that area or the packing wet and apparently reduces movement too, so I can't really bend much and take care of properly cleaning the fistulotomy wound. That was my main concern...
Last edited by igotonequestion on 21 Sep 2012, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
igotonequestion

Topics: 1

Re: Fistulotomy & pilonidal at the same time. Good idea?

Postby Badd825 » 20 Sep 2012, 16:22

I would do everything at once. There is always a risk with anesthesia and while your under you might as well get it all done. Also why go through a difficult recovery twice. You'll be on painkillers and uncomfortable and get it over with. I'm not sure what the post op instructions are with pilonidal cysts but unless it's opposite what you need to do for post op fistula repair why not do it all at once. I went through hemorrhoidectomy 7 weeks ago. It turns out I may need LIS and I'm petrified. I'm afraid of a second surgery and now I know what to expect from recovery which makes it worse. I wish I could've suffered all at once. Good luck I'm so sorry you're going through all this. I delivered 2 children naturally and that was a day at the beach compared to rectal problems.
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Guest » 20 Sep 2012, 18:27

I say do it at the same time. I agree with the previous post. I just had a fistulotomy 2 days ago and I feel awesome! Im just taking it easy, but honestly, I could have worked today. I feel great!

Postby igotonequestion » 21 Sep 2012, 14:17

Badd825 wrote:I would do everything at once. There is always a risk with anesthesia and while your under you might as well get it all done. Also why go through a difficult recovery twice. You'll be on painkillers and uncomfortable and get it over with. I'm not sure what the post op instructions are with pilonidal cysts but unless it's opposite what you need to do for post op fistula repair why not do it all at once. I went through hemorrhoidectomy 7 weeks ago. It turns out I may need LIS and I'm petrified. I'm afraid of a second surgery and now I know what to expect from recovery which makes it worse. I wish I could've suffered all at once. Good luck I'm so sorry you're going through all this. I delivered 2 children naturally and that was a day at the beach compared to rectal problems.

That comparison with having kids... You're scaring me... hehe
Good luck with the second operation! And a speedy recovery!
igotonequestion

Postby igotonequestion » 21 Sep 2012, 14:20

The problem with the pilonidal operation is that apparently it's gonna make sitz baths very difficult... Can't get that area or the packing wet and apparently reduces movement too, so I can't really bend much and take care of properly cleaning the fistulotomy wound. That was my main concern...
igotonequestion

Postby Badd825 » 21 Sep 2012, 18:47

I bought this little bottle called cleanse and carry. It directs a stream of water directly into the anus without getting everything else wet. It may help you keep clean. Frankly though I think you'll need to soak with Fissurectomy so unfortunately you may have to do it separately. I also find warm water is soothing so even though I don't just use for cleansing I use it for pain relief. How long before you can get the pilonidal post surgical site wet? Maybe you can put off sitz bath off for a couple of days since you probably won't have a bowel movement right away anyway. Check out the cleanse and carry. It has been a lifesaver for me. God luck!!!!!!!
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12