Are botox injections painful?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Are botox injections painful?

Postby palash » 22 Sep 2012, 20:22

Ok, so all my previous posts have said that I was going for LIS soon... But here's the snatch, my parents decided to take a second opinion from another CRS working in a public hospital ( first one was with a private hospital ). And, she said that she would advise against LIS at my age, considering the 5-20% chance of incontinence. That made me pretty depressed, because I thought that surgery was my only hope out of this pain. She told me she got give me 2 Botox shots to put my sphincter to sleep for a while. I was reading a lot about Botox lately, and all that ever came up was the kind of Botox for cosmetics...not for treating an AF. I couldn't really rely on the pain scale for a cosmetic Botox treatment, so I thought anyone who has had botox could chime in:) thanks=).
1) does it hurt? During the procedure and after
2) how long does it help?
3) can it be done under general anesthetic?
palash
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Are botox injections painful?

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2012, 03:59

Hi palash,
I had Botox 8 wks ago so far it's been great no pain at all. I have a few more wks before it wears off & if I'm not fully healed I will be having a 2nd round if Botox. They say it last for 3mths. I had my check up 2 wks ago & haven't fully healed yet.
You won't feel a thing it is done under general anaesthetic I had some pain after for a few days but reckon that's was the piles I had injected at the same time.
Good luck 😊

Postby palash » 23 Sep 2012, 04:39

Hi Bailey2009,
Thanks so much for your input! I'm pretty glad to know that it can be done under GA:-) also, glad at the fact that it lasts a whooping 3 months!!! Awesome, I think I'll go for that as soon as possible!!! Can't wait for the pain to go away. Thanks again!!!
palash
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Danish_AF » 23 Sep 2012, 09:04

palash wrote:Hi Bailey2009,
Thanks so much for your input! I'm pretty glad to know that it can be done under GA:-) also, glad at the fact that it lasts a whooping 3 months!!! Awesome, I think I'll go for that as soon as possible!!! Can't wait for the pain to go away. Thanks again!!!

Hi,
For me was the effect of botox was not more effective than NTG cream.
They say that it lasts for 3 months, but in my case it has only lasted 6-7 weeks, and then my sphincter started having spasms again, so I think that is very different from person to person how long it lasts.
I will say that I would not be ready to move on to the LIS, if I had not tried botox several times and found out that it is not enough to cure my AF.
The injections were not painful, and I was up again after 3-4 days the first two times when it was only botox.
I hope you make the right decision, so you can be pain free, and get on with your life Image
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2012, 09:28

Hi,
Yes definitely it does differ from person to person. My father also had Botox 5mths ago & he is still pain free he only had one round. The nitro cream did nothing for me at all so tg for Botox 😊 I feel the same about LIS it will be last resort.
Danish how many times did you try Botox before you had LIS?

Postby Danish_AF » 23 Sep 2012, 09:49

bailey2009 wrote:Hi,
Yes definitely it does differ from person to person. My father also had Botox 5mths ago & he is still pain free he only had one round. The nitro cream did nothing for me at all so tg for Botox 😊 I feel the same about LIS it will be last resort.
Danish how many times did you try Botox before you had LIS?

Hi bailey2009,
I had only botox 2 times, and then i had botox and fissurectomy 9-10 weeks ago.
I have not had my LIS op yet, but I will go to a pre op meeting on Wednesday, and if i like the CRS, I will have my LIS op on that private hospital.
I have a schedule in NHS for LIS op the 16/11.2012 but I dont think that I can wait that long, and thats why I consider the private hospital.
Kind regards
Danish_AF
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2012, 10:04

Hi,
I hope things work out for you on Wednesday 😊. I too had to go to a private hospital I was in so much pain & couldn't wait for public app.
Are you still in pain at the moment?
Good luck Danish 😊

Postby Lauren12 » 23 Sep 2012, 10:55

I had botox twice, six months apart. It was done under general anaesthetic and wasn't painful (although on the first occasion, the surgeon decided to band my piles and remove skin tags as well, and that was painful!). However I was one of those that Botox didn't work for, so after two applications of it, I went on to have the LIS, which has worked, and I'm pain free.
My surgeon does have patients for whom botox works however.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Lauren12 » 23 Sep 2012, 10:56

Oh, and I think it takes a few days to a week for the botox to start working after the injection.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Lauren12 » 23 Sep 2012, 10:59

As a side issue, for those who are worried about possible incontinence after the LIS operation, it might be a good idea to find out the rates for your particular surgeon. The overall rates shown by research may include some complex cases or less than effective surgeons. I've had no trouble with bowel control at all now that I've had the op.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist