Stool softener - what helped me!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Stool softener - what helped me!

Postby Sarah J » 08 Aug 2012, 07:40

I just wanted to share with you that my dr. told me after my LIS surgery that I needed to keep my bowels soft and was he right!! I was in pain whenever they were not soft. Image I tried Ducalax (sp?), Metamucil, mineral oil, and probably some other things. I was even taking Metamucil twice daily. Nothing was consistently softening the stools, only helping in the frequency of them. My sister-in-law told me to try vinegar mixed with molasses so I have been taking it mixed with water to help in the taste once/day for a week and they have CONSISTENTLY been soft! Image I am so glad I had tried that since I have now felt like I have completely healed from the surgeries I had done. I use about a Tablespoon of each, maybe a tad more of the molasses and mix it with about 1/2 c. of water. It isn't the most pleasant taste but it sure helps!!!
Sarah J
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Stool softener - what helped me!

Postby Fernie1 » 08 Aug 2012, 22:17

Hi Sarah J, I've been looking for a natural stool softener so thanks for the input. How long ago did you have that LIS?
I had mine seven weeks ago, and I can still feel my fissure and my incision site. It still feels like its not completely healed.
I have no terrible pain, but it stings sometimes and it still feels uncomfortable :(
Do you mind sharing your experience after LIS?
Thanks!! Image
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Sarah J » 09 Aug 2012, 18:42

Hi Fernie,
I had mine exactly 7 weeks ago today! Similar times. I was feeling that stinging feeling just like you about a week ago, just after a bowel movement. It wasn't until I had soft stools that it has gone away completely. I had my second post op appt. today and he said everything looked good.
I had LIS, fissurectomy, hemmoroidectomy and a tag removed so there was much done to my bottom. I was in so much pain that all I could do was lay around for the first few weeks. I kept expecting to get better and had many up and down times..... feeling like I was getting better then having more pain. I think the biggest problem I experienced was having stools that were too hard (and big). It seemed everything I tried just made me have more bowel movements, not softer ones. It was so painful knowing I was going to have a 2nd or even 3rd BM because of the pain. It wasn't until I tried the vinegar, molasses and water mixture that they got softer, thus taking the pain away, once and for all (I hope) or at least for a week now. I did talk to my dr. about it today and he said how fair skinned I was that would take me longer to heal. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's what he said. I still think if I had softer stools to begin with, I wouldn't have been in as much pain for so long. I hope and pray that this will help you get over your discomfort once and for all!! Image Keep me updated as I'd like to know if it helps you as well. I know there are things that help one person that may not help another. Wishing you the best! Hang in there, you'll be better in no time!! Image
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Postby SteveR » 18 Aug 2012, 16:13

Hey Sarah J - I wish I knew about this earlier! I have been taking a chemical stool softener, which also has a stimulant effect. As a result I am now finding it very hard to come off the softeners. I a, wondering if I can reduce my stool softeners and use some of this to at least keep me soft, whilst my system kicks back in. Then reduce so I am used to one less stool softener - then repeat the whole process over again.
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Sarah J » 18 Aug 2012, 17:12

That sounds like a good plan to me. I was just upset that nothing was working very well. I know that Smooth Move tea works great too but sometimes can give me cramping before the BM. I think if you don't let it steep so long it may work better. They suggest 10 min. but I would think 5 would work better and then reuse the bag the next time for 10 min. Fernie, if you're reading this.... how are you doing? Is it any better?
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Postby free_me » 10 Sep 2012, 07:01

Sarah J,
Mind sharing your recipe for the vinegar, molasses, water drink? I think I'll try it since the magnesium is giving me stomach aches.
free_me

Postby Sarah J » 10 Sep 2012, 13:24

I really didn't have a recipe but I would guess about 1-2 tsp. of each vinegar and molasses and then add water to where I could stand the taste. Image Let me know if it works for you. :)
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Postby free_me » 11 Sep 2012, 06:06

Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying it as soon as I can get some molasses.
free_me

Postby free_me » 16 Sep 2012, 05:14

Update: I've been trying the molasses-vinegar drink a few days now but unfortunately I haven't noticed much of a difference in stool softness.
free_me

STOOL SOFTENER THAT WORKS WONDERS

Postby lmj1022 » 23 Sep 2012, 17:37

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum but I have some GREAT tips that I have learned in the past few weeks that has made my life 100% better. I have had fissures for about a year and could not get rid of them. The big problem was I could not make my stools soft. I tried fiber pills, eating healthier and nothing worked. My mother gave me a drink called Natural Calm. (You can buy it online for about $25). The key ingredient in it is Magnesium which softens your stools. The reason most people have hard stools is because they are lacking magnesium. So you can either go out and get Magnesium pills, or take Natural Calm. Both work great. I particularity like the drink because it actually makes you relax also! My boyfriends mother had a constipation/hard stool problem as well and I told her about the Magnesium and she hasn't had a problem since!!
Hope this helps!
lmj1022