Help guys! How do I transition from Colace to Miralax?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help guys! How do I transition from Colace to Miralax?

Postby Fernie1 » 19 Sep 2012, 10:23

Hi everyone does anybody have some helpful tips on how to transition from Colace to Miralax?
I've been using Colace for five months, but lately Colace has not been consistent. Some days I take 3 one hundred milligrams and have a soft BM, but other days I have to take Four Colace pills and the BM will still be hard. I've heard great things about Miralax on this forum and that it is way more reliable. The only problem with Miralax is that on the bottle it says it would take 1-3 days to work. I'm afraid that when I take Miralax tomorrow I will have a hard BM, because it's effectiveness has not kicked in yet.
Any tips anyone?
I'd greatly appreciate it. :D
thanks you guys!
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Help guys! How do I transition from Colace to Miralax?

Postby Neen » 19 Sep 2012, 10:36

I still take 3 colace and miralax each day, but if you want to end colace, I would still take it until miralax kicks in...then just adjust your miralax as you need to. Good luck...!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Fernie1 » 20 Sep 2012, 00:10

Thanks for the tip Neen. These things can be so scarry .. not knowing what your bm will be like the next day..like going into a dark dungeon not knowing what kinda dragon you have to battle. Image
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby Neen » 20 Sep 2012, 08:57

I know Fernie1....I dread waking up as that first bm dictates what kind of day I will have. Good luck with miralax, it works well! :D
Neen
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 20 Sep 2012, 09:05

Hi Fernie,
I agree with Neen. You can slowly transition by taking both at first and finding how much Miralax you need, or you can keep up taking the Colace and the Miralax together.
So many factors influence stool consistency day to day. Diet, stress, hydration, hormones. I hear you about the anxiety over the uncertainty of what you're going to be facing every day. Let us know how it goes ifyou try out the Miralax!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Fernie1 » 25 Sep 2012, 07:42

Hey Neen and Jr2,
Thanks so much for the tips. So its been 4 days taking miralax and its working great..way better than colace alone (I found colace very inconsistent at times). I think my body was getting use to the colace and its effectiveness was wearing off. Currently as suggested I'm still taking colace plus a full 17 grams of miralax now..but I've been cuttinng down on the colace. 4 days ago when I first
started miralax and colace I was taking 6 colace.!..last night I cut back to 4 and a half colace along with miralax..hope to ween off colace soon. Thanks too both your helpfull tips; now the bm's are more consistent and not as scarry or painful! Thanks guys! So happy this forum exists..who else can we turn too we these issues? Again thanks so Image much! Image
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 25 Sep 2012, 07:55

Hi, the nice thing about miralax is that it's adjustable. If you find your bms are getting a little too firm you can take a little more. What you eat and your emotions kind of dictate the consistency of your bms and they never stay the same all the time. I just don't like pouring the stuff into the cap, wish miralax came in a small canister with a scoop instead.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Neen » 25 Sep 2012, 08:58

Fernie1, glad it's working! When I had my first surgery in April, I didnt know about miralax until about 2 weeks after...was only taking colace and when I started the miralax I could have kicked myself for not having used it sooner! Stay well!
Neen
Salt Bather

Postby Fernie1 » 25 Sep 2012, 09:52

I agree with you there Susy...wish miralax had a scoop too with precise grams indicator..and your right about our emtions, hormones, etc. they affect the bm's! To bad we cant adjust those things lol.
And Neen it happened to me too..I had Lis surgery June 18th (unsuccesful surgery according to CRS) and only took colace...was afraid of miralax because I thought it was a stimulant laxative. So glad we take it now though..if I need a second surgery at least I'll have a heads up! Again thanks every one.
Fernie1
Salt Bather