2nd Fistula Surgery over 6 wks ago,still itching(pleaseHelp)

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

2nd Fistula Surgery over 6 wks ago,still itching(pleaseHelp)

Postby fissurepaingy » 09 Dec 2011, 17:40

I'm getting so nervous. I had my 2nd fistula surgery on October 25th. The first one the CRS said wasn't healing properly it was healing closed rather than staying layed open healing. Well, I have my appointment with him again on 12-12. At this point I'm still getting a bit of itching and a very small amount of yellowish discharge. But it seems like I'm making progress. I'm not getting the insane itch that seemed more internal after making a BM, I seem to now not have an itch after a BM. However, the itch is occuring right sort of below my tailbone it seems. I'm guessing that's where he had to "pull back and flatten out" my fistula site a bit more on the 2nd surgery. I'm debating on postponing my appointment on Monday in hopes that it will continue to heal further. I just don't want him poking around back there at this point, and I absolutely dread the idea of him saying that I will need a third surgery! Anyone else ever deal with a long-healing-time for a fistula? Or go through more than 1 surgery? I'm just so tired of this. At this point I have no time-off left at work. And I'm sure if I do need a third surgery that he won't be able to get me in there until after the new year, at which point my deductible won't be paid off anymore and I'll have to pay the large amount again. Please help, any advice/insight at this point would be great.
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: 2nd Fistula Surgery over 6 wks ago,still itching(pleaseHelp)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 10 Dec 2011, 10:20

Hey Fissurepaingy - I had a fistulotomy in July and I still bleed a bit with BMs. I've seen my surgeon about the bleeding, and he says not to worry about that - the tissue has been traumatized and it can take a good long while for the tissue to settle down and get stronger. These things can take a real long time to heal! I really don't think you should postpone your appointment. If you're already done it, then no big deal. But why not go? The poking around shouldn't cause any harm if you've got a good surgeon, and why not get things checked out? I understand why you would dread the thought of a third surgery (trust me - I COMPLETELY understand!). But if there is something developing, it's better to catch it early. During my first follow up, my surgeon said my wound wasn't quite healing properly, and he pulled it open (darn, that hurt!). But, that saved me from a second surgery. If he had caught that too late, I would have been under the knife again.
It's also possible that you are healing normally. Summergal, Adam and I got fistulotomies at about the same time, and we are all getting better, but much more slowly than we want to. Maybe patience is the key here. Image
Please let us know how you are doing, and what your doc says, if you decide to go on Monday.
Deleted User 579

Postby fissurepaingy » 10 Dec 2011, 11:12

See what you're saying makes more sense. My CRS seems adamant that it should be fully healed by 6-8 weeks. I feel like it IS getting better though. I can now have a BM without the intense itching and I feel that even the itching is getting a LOT less worse. I just thought it would be over by now. In a way I want to wait another week before seeing the CRS. I just feel like it's coming along, but much more slowly than I'd like. In your case, and many others I've read online, the healing can take much much longer. Thanks for the reply hopetoheal, you have been so helpful on here :)
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 10 Dec 2011, 12:52

I had a similar experience with my surgeon too. I was initially told that I would definitely heal in one month. So, of course, when I didn't, I started to panic. Then I was told that it could take quite a bit longer. :roll: I suppose it's just really hard for doctors to know how we will heal. If you feel better waiting, then that's what you should do. I really sympathesize with you - these things do take such a long time to heal, and the waiting can really wear ya down! Thanks for your kind words. I really hope you enjoy rapid improvements very soon! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby fissurepaingy » 13 Dec 2011, 08:58

Had my appointment yesterday. It went well. The CRS said that I still have a small raw spot about the size of a pencil eraser head, and that is what is causing the itching/discharge. He said that he is not seeing any of the "bridging" that happened last time which caused it to heal improperly before. He applied a little more silver nitrate (stung like hell again!), he said that it would help it continue to heal properly. So, I'm a bit relieved now. I see him again in 3 weeks, hopefully by then things will be much better.
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Dec 2011, 09:05

Phew! I'm so glad that you are on track. I am sorry you had to get that nasty silver nitrate. I haven't had the "pleasure", but I worry that I will when I see my doc tomorrow. Image The raw spot makes sense. I think I might have something like that too, but it is really, really mild.
I'm so happy for you! It's great that you see your doc in 3 weeks too - that way you can really be assured that things are going as they should be.
I hope you have a wonderful day! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby fissurepaingy » 13 Dec 2011, 10:57

Thanks a lot! Yes, I'm very relieved now that it's just taking a tad longer to heal. That's what he told me, that people heal at different rates. I had SO much anxiety yesterday thinking he was going to tell me I needed a 3rd surgery! I can't wait to be done with all of this. I haven't been able to take my therapeutic walks at work anymore! There's this track next to where I work that's beautiful, it goes all around the woods, it's so peaceful. I haven't walked it in months in fear of flaring things up back there as it seems the more activity I engage in, the more it can make things itch back there. Just the thought of going back to normal and doing normal things is like heaven at this point. I hope it comes soon! It's been a long hard road. Going through this experience really opens your eyes about life and health and things like that. I shouldn't complain too much at this point, I remember back in the summer time when I had my fissure and couldn't even sit without being in pain, or make a BM. Whew! That was one of the hardest things I've ever gone through! Anyway, I'm going to try and stay positive and hope I make a full recovery in the near future.
PS-I apologize to anyone on this forum who is still going through early-fissure stages and in massive pain everyday! You might be reading this thinking "itching, he's complaining about itching?" I've been dealing with this for a very long time, and just want it to end, just posting my status up to this point. To all those at the height of their fissure suffering right now: IT GETS BETTER. Hang in there people.
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Postby fissurepaingy » 21 Dec 2011, 14:03

Saw the Doc a little over a week ago now. And he said things looked good and I still had a raw spot the size of a pencil eraser head, and that is what is causing my itching and the sudden pinches here and there. He applied the silver nitrate and I see him Jan. 4 for a checkup.
It's still frustrating, I still have the itching often and that pinch here and there. I guess I just want to see progress sooner! Not to get too graphic here, but yesterday I had one of those messy BM's, the kind where it leaves a consistency like icing or something... I just had to keep wiping and wiping and wiping! I think it really irritated things! Anyway, I think I remember someone on here saying to not count the days, but to count the weeks when you track your progress, am I correct? It's just sometimes I feel like this darn fistula repair will NEVER heal! It's so incredibly frustrating. Maybe I am thinking about it too much? Maybe I need to stop thinking so much and that will help?? I make sure to really rinse it with real hot water in the shower every night and as I've been doing for months now, I dry with the blow-dryer set to "cool" setting. It helps to promote healing I believe. Anyway, any advice or anything would help. I'm just mentally drained from this whole thing, I never imagined this problem would go on THIS long.
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 22 Dec 2011, 08:24

Man I HATE those BMs! Image The ones like peanut butter are the worst for me (how's that for graphic? :) ). What a job it is cleaning up! That can irritate the poor butt. I forget who originally advised us to count weeks, not days, but I think I got that from Dawn. It's great advice. It really does feel like the fistulotomy wound will never completely heal, but it does, just so slowly. It is possible that we think too much about our butts. It does take some time to get over the psychological aftermath of all this, though, so don't be too hard on yourself. I wonder if maybe really hot water could be contributing to some irritation? Image The butt tissue is so delicate - maybe it would prefer just warm/hot water?
I understand how you feel - butt issues really take it out of us. Try to be patient. It will get better! Meanwhile, try doing things that make you laugh and smile as much as possible, like watching some funny movies while you are resting. I found that really helps me deal with the long recovery.
I hope you're having a great day! :)
Deleted User 579

Postby owieher » 27 Sep 2012, 23:52

hi
im on my 8th week and still notice some pus and yellow discharge. no blood though. a few weeks ago my crs said i should be good. do u folks know how long it should be before it stops?
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3