Worst Doctor or Most Honest?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Worst Doctor or Most Honest?

Postby reynier » 13 Sep 2012, 22:50

Hey everyone! New here :) Glad to find that there is a place for people to be able to discuss this. There is so little reliable information on this publicly. As you can assume, I have an anal fissure.
It would seem I got mine due to having bad sushi. Said sushi caused 6 days of horrible diarrhea. On the 7th day I had a solid stool that was the biggest monstrosity ever. I supposed the week of diarrhea left me more dehydrated than I thought and that stool ripped right through me. There was a lot of pain and a lot of blood and thus my fissure was born.
This was back in February.
About a month later the pain that came during bowel movement went away. I had done normal things that were suggested such as high fiber, lots of water, baths, etc... Eventually the bleeding even stopped when I would have a bowel movement. I don't know if the bleeding would still occur after a hard stool since I am still on a high fiber diet and plan on keeping it. The problem I am having is that, as a gay man, my anus is very important for intercourse. I -cannot- bottom without there being a lot of blood. No pain ever, just a lot of blood.
I have been to three doctors already. One was my general doctor, the second was a GI, and the third was a rectal surgeon. All of them said the same thing: it is almost healed and we don't recommend surgery since there is no pain at all. They all want me to wait it out basically which I have been doing since February!! The second doctor prescribed me the Nitro cream but that didn't cause it to heal 100%.
Naturally I don't go around having anal sex while this is happening. On two different occasions after 7-8 weeks of no bleeding I decided to use a toy with a lot of lube that was small. Always caused the bleeding. I can only imagine an actual penis. Sorry for the "TMI" but it is what it is.
This last doctor I went to told me that there's really nothing that can be done. He doesn't recommend surgery so just to wait it out and maybe I'll "grow out of it". He even suggested that having more frequent anal sex would get my anus used to it and would allow for the fissure to not get bothered by it after a while. This doesn't strike me as right...
Sorry for the wall of text ._. I am just at a loss and really frustrated and typing it out actually made me feel better.
Any ideas?
reynier

Topics: 1

Re: Worst Doctor or Most Honest?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Sep 2012, 09:50

Hiya,
Sorry to hear your bottom brings you here and I'm not sure I'll be a huge help being female and heterosexual! but I can certainly understand that it must all be affecting you in a huge way. I did actually think once "Gosh how would I cope with all this if I were a gay man?"......
I think you need to seek another opinion on this because it it having a major impact on your life and obviously sex, plays an important part in most people's lives! It's been 7 months right with all this going on?? and you come to a point where enough is enough and you need to take some action. Sounds to me like the people you've seen so far have not been particularly helpful. There are other creams/ alternatives they could be suggesting for you. I also find it interesting that you have no pain at all and I'd say bleeding the way you describe is as concerning as having pain all the time! I think you definately need it examined again properly. I was the other way round, lots of pain but no bleeding....
Like you, I thought that last Doctor's opinion was unbelievable!! It's obvious isn't it ? - that inserting anything into the anal canal is going to irritate an open wound in there and I can't possibly see how that can help with any healing! People on this site struggle to insert some of prescribed creams with fingers because it's just too tight or sore or painful!...........
So sorry to hear of your frustration over this. It must be horrible for you! I couldn't even manage vaginal intercourse for weeks because of the pain radiating from my bottom, so this must be really impacting on your life. Pls go back, start afresh and find someone else who can help you deal with this more thoroughly.
All the best to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Savaici » 15 Sep 2012, 10:00

Hi there,
Sorry about what brings you here, but you found us and that is good!! My opinion follows, and I am not a doctor.
It does sound as if your AF is healing, but having had it since February, it has/had gone from the acute (first month) to the chronic (the stage that most of us are in Image ).
Actually, it is not necessary that something inserted into the anal canal is going to make the fissure worse. The whole idea of cutting the sphincter is to make the area a little looser in order to heal, and when this is done the fissure is quite often in the active stage. But, if you do want to make the area a little more loose, the idea is to start off GENTLY, using a small dilator, not a large size toy, as now you more than likely have scar tissue there, and that is making things more painful. That is why the last doctor recommended having anal sex, as the scar tissue and the spasms can make things even more tight for you. Our behinds seemingly have to be taught to work properly again.
http://anal-fissure.org/t4261-self-dilation?highlight=self+dilation
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Sep 2012, 10:57

Hi Savaici,
Do you know much about scar tissue or have you experienced this yourself?
Reason I ask is because I suspect I may be suffering my current discomfort and sometimes, discomfort in BM's, due to scar tissue although it's a fistula recovery I'm going through not a fissure now.....
In your opinion, is this something that heals over time or does it require any further surgical intervention?
Your advice would be most appreciated! Thanks :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby remrout » 28 Sep 2012, 02:05

I had 4 tear in my anus. Didn't have much pain except during potty and no bleeding. I used organic coconut oil, extra virgin kind to heal my fissure. I'm gay too. You can read my post on AF on the link below
http://anal-fissure.org/t5449-anal-fissure-healed-with-organic-virgin-coconut-oil
remrout
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1