2 weeks post fussurectomy and LIS with internal tag removal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2 weeks post fussurectomy and LIS with internal tag removal

Postby Anya324 » 24 Oct 2012, 02:54

I have another post in here but I really need more eyes so I can get help with my miriad of issues. If you'd like to know more of my history look for my post op post from oct 10.
Here goes---5 days post op I began premptive AB for a not-yet-cultured UTI...5 days later doc switched me to something they said would be more effective for the strain of bactiera found in the urine. And 4 days later I still have UTI symptoms plus the skin down there from my lady bits back to my bum is on fire. GP says I have a terrible case of yeast (thrush I assume cuz it's on the skin). She perscribed 5 more days of AB, 3 days of peridium, 7 days diflucan and lotromin as needed for topical relief. She thinks its a possibility that the yeast is so bad that it actually is causing some of my UTI symptoms but gave me more AB jic.
Backtrack a bit... Saturday I had 4-6 super soft BMs that lit my anus/fissure(suture site) on fire and I was desperate for relief but didnt know what was safe for that area. I remember that lots of folks on here like coconut oil so I used that and it was instant relief. But now I'm wondering if this could contribute to the thrush? Or was it a coincidence? If the latter can I still use it for topical relief? The biggest reason I am here is that it is currently 4:30am and I am wide awake because I woke an hour ago to the worst itching at the fissurectomy site! It's like the worst mosquito bite in the world! I was so desperate I tried scratching but that made my the area not only sore but then it just itched more. I wonder if the lotromin is not good to get into the stitches? I am currently on the sitz bath but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. And speaking about sitz baths.... I feel like this is a breeding ground for more fungal growth so I put epsom salt in the h2o this time-is that enough? Any other ideas?
Lots of questions!!! And run-on sentences! Any help is greatly appreciated! I expected excruciating bum pain and instead have pain everywhere else and an itchy butt! It's messing with my head!!! Image
Anya324
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: 2 weeks post fussurectomy and LIS with internal tag removal

Postby suzyljank » 24 Oct 2012, 05:52

You might want to try taking a probiotic. It helps to restore the natural bacteria in your gut and colon that the antibiotic wiped out. Maybe a antihistamine would also help with the itching. I know how bad the itching can get. Hope you get some relief soon Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Anya324 » 24 Oct 2012, 10:15

I am using the coconut oil again. It helps my bum sooooo much! I actually am able to get some inside which reeeeeeeally helps the itching and the post-BM pain. I'm using the lotromin everywhere as needed and putting eps one salt in my sitz baths. I began taking a probiotic last night... The twins get it every single day. I mix it in applesauce for them but never think to take it myself until last night.
Anya324
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 25 Oct 2012, 10:19

Hi Anya,
I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble right now with so many different issues. I agree about the probiotic. You've got a lot of imbalance with bacteria and yeast rightnow and a probiotic will help.
Coconut oil should be fine. In fact, it has mild antifungal and antibacterial properties, so it shouldn't hurt, and could likely help.
You might want to ask your doctor to switch you or add topical Nystatin. Lotrimin is more for strains of fungus that cause jock itch and athlete's foot, and while that could be the strain of fungus you are dealing with, Nystatin will help it better if it is a Candida strain. The Diflucan is a good measure to take from the inside.
Keeping the area as free from moisture as possible is critical. As is resisting the urge to scratch. Whatever you have to do, even tie up your hands if necessary :). You will only make it worse if you scratch. Also, go without underwear and wear a loose dress or big t-shirt to allow air flow if at all possible.
I so hope you start to feel some relief soon.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Anya324 » 26 Oct 2012, 07:40

You know, I have nystatin here! Use it on my kids bums quite often. I'll have to snag one of their tubes for myself.
I've still been using the coconut oil because its the only thing that makes my actual anus feel better. Getting it in there is trick tho cuz jar got overheated so the oil is completely liquified. If my hubby is home he can actually use an eye dropper and get it right it there. Goodness I love that man!
I have a wedding to go to tonight(an outdoor wedding in a tropical storm...) so I am hoping that my BM today is firm cuz those soft ones set me back the whole day Image
Anya324
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 26 Oct 2012, 08:36

Anya,
Try sitting in the tub with only enough water on your butt as necessary. The but works better for me than the sitz baths. Also, you might have irritated your "other" areas (including urethra) by so many sitz baths (and dried them out). Hope you feel better soon. Itching is for the birds. I hate it!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby jr2 » 27 Oct 2012, 13:21

Anya,
What an awesome husband!
I hope you are starting to feel more relief?
You can try putting the coconut oil in the fridge to solidify it again, then just have the warmth of your skin to melt it in to where you need it.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Anya324 » 27 Oct 2012, 23:38

It's 1:30am here and my husband is sound asleep next to me. I just saw your newest pic, Cheryl and nearly bursted out laughing. Hilarious!
Thanks for the tip jr2! I was just looking into that tonight. I actually thought my oil was no good so I ordered new and it is liquidy too. I will put some in the fridge and see if that helps to get it up inside more effectively.
I think my UTI and itching issues are due to a fungal infection. I have been taking the diflucan and levaquin but if I don't use the lotromin I have lots of itching and burning from front to back. Gonna make an appt with my gyn this week and see what he has to say.
One of the best tips I've been given was from Cheryl, not sure what board it's on (could be above...?). Anyway, Vaseline before a BM is where it's at! Couldn't have done it right after surgery but I recommend it be incorporated into the BM regimen ASAP. It makes clean up so much easier and lessens the post-BM burn.
Thanks everyone! I feel so blessed to have found this forum!
Anya324
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 28 Oct 2012, 07:08

Anya,
Glad you liked the vaseline tip! Image Also, I'm glad someone likes my new picture. Are Floridians worried about the upcoming bad storm??
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Anya324 » 28 Oct 2012, 23:40

No, Sandy has come and gone and she wasn't bad for us-but people up north should be concerned. I understand its gonna be a doosie!
Anya324
Salt Bather