Herbal tes...

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Herbal tes...

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2007, 12:03

Hello,
I read some where there are some herbal teas or any teas like Lipton that can help you along with a BM? Not sure which ones. I would like to try something different instead of taking Colace everynight. Maybe I could drink some hot tea before bed. What do you think? What kind of teas can help in this department to help things run smoothily in the morning?
Gareth this one is for you maybe you can help me out. I will take anyones input gladly!!!
Thanks,
Patty
:snn:

Re: Herbal tes...

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2007, 12:10

Well, I will be the first to tell you if something is working for you don't change it! But I understand you might want to try out something natural and see how that goes.

There is a tea out there called "Smooth Move." I know, the name is so tacky but it is supposed to be a very mild laxative/stool softener. My guess is that it has senna which is a stimulant though so it would not be something you would want to use every day.

I take Aloe Vera capsules (3 a day) to help keep things soft. I also take extra vitamin C which can loosen things up but if you take too much it will sting coming out because it is acidic. Took me a few times to figure that out!! Duh!

Postby Guest » 12 Nov 2007, 13:04

oops the topic should be Herbal Teas... Sorry......

Postby Fissulyna » 12 Nov 2007, 14:46

Patty, I would be the first to tell you to use herbal remedies since it is part of my culture, BUT if Colace is working and your fissure is healing - DON'T change a thing !!!!!! I messed up my healing 3 times trying "something different" - DON'T !
Yes, it is boring, but stick with the routine if it works -peeeeeeeeeaseeeeee @: )
One thing that you can do is STAY on Colace but add teas too ... How about that ?!? : )
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 12 Nov 2007, 15:09

I always have a pure fruit juice mixed with boiling water-sounds yukky, but works a treat!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby buttgirl » 13 Nov 2007, 13:12

a lot of the herb teas that are suposed to help have stimulant laxatives in them, like senna or cascada sagrada (sp?). I think you're better off with a non-stimulant--it's harder to get addicted to those.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby buttgirl » 13 Nov 2007, 13:14

oh, and coffee and black tea can get things moving in the morning, I think mainly because of the caffine and the warmth.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 18 Nov 2007, 17:31

Buttgirl,
I think you are right about the teas, I like decaf coffee and that seems to help just because it is nice and warm. I will be careful about what Teas I choose. Maybe I will stick to good ole Lipton.
Thanks,
Patty

Postby motherluch » 18 Nov 2007, 17:58

You can always try what I use which is Natural Calm. It is a magnesium powder that you drink as a tea. It helps relax you and also is the only thing I can use at this point to help me go in the morning. You can find it on-line, just google it.
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 20 Nov 2007, 10:44

Somebody recommended peppermint tea to me, it has gentle muscle relaxant properties too which are helpful.
You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint_tea
I find that you should only infuse for a couple of minutes, any more and it starts to taste bitter.
Not great if you have reflux either :shock: