new to forum. head full of questions.!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new to forum. head full of questions.!!

Postby ng51guy » 23 Nov 2012, 14:30

Hi folks my names Andy from Nottingham uk. Im new to the forum. Found my way here because of pain and looking for answers, Im sure you know the score. I have been suffering on and off with an anal fissure for around 2 years now. Whenever Ive had a bad flair up, mainly from not watching my diet and getting constipated, I have turned to ansol suppositorys to sort me out and they have done the trick.
That was until recently when i joined the gym and started eating to much protein which blocked me up, and pop ,its back again.
First I tried the suppositorys , which up until now have worked, but they seemed to just make me more constipated.?? To deal with that i started eating tons of fruit and veg and prune juice and water and psyllium husks and cut out the meats and up,ed the exercise and yoga and cut out the alcohol and yes i tried EVERYTHING to try to get a loose bm but NOTHING worked. Every morning it came out hard and just ripped me in 2 over and over. In the end i went to the doc,s and he prescribed lactolose.
At last, after about 3 weeks of constant pain this has worked, My morning bm have stated to come out totally loose and pain free !!!! ;o)
But, my question is what happens when i stop taking the lactolose.Is it back to square one ?
Has anybody stopped taking lactolose and lived a normal life after. ?
ng51guy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: new to forum. head full of questions.!!

Postby Lauren12 » 24 Nov 2012, 13:58

Hi, yes I stopped taking Lactulose (and Movicol which I was taking at the same time) and live a normal life - BUT this was after having the Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy operation, so my anal muscle tone is more relaxed than it was, making it less likely that damage will be caused when passing stools. I still use prune juice and eat a very healthy diet, with lots of water btw.
As you haven't had the op however, and want to keep your stools regular, soft and not too wide or bulky, it's a case of constant experimentation in my experience to find what works for you. I found that Lactulose and Movicol, whilst making the stools soft and regular, also made them much larger, so when I was using them, I cut down on the fibre in my diet a bit, to reduce the size of the stools. I concentrated more on soluble fibre than insoluble, if I remember. I try to eat lot of fruits and vegetables that contain or retain a high water content, such as spinach and also pour a good quality olive oil over my vegetables as I think this helps with passage of stools.
I think Lactulose can be taken long term if it works for you (unless you're diabetic or have another medical condition which prevents it) but obviously consult your doctor on that. When I withdrew from it, I did so very slowly, decreasing the dose by a little, then letting my bowel get used to that level, before decreasing it a little more - in order to avoid becoming constipated.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ng51guy » 24 Nov 2012, 16:53

Hi Lauren thanks for your reply. I'v been very lucky up until now but now I'm learning for the first time in my life that my diet and lifestyle will turn around and bite me in the butt if I continue to abuse it. This has been happening slowly over a number of years until the big meltdown that I had about 5 weeks ago now when my fissure was unbearable for 3 weeks no matter what I did. Ok so the lactolose is now working for me and I will start to reduce the dose and fingers crossed I,ll once again return to being a normal person, albeit minus the kabas with chilly sauce at 11.30pm after 10 pints.Them days are gone..!! I,ll will let you know how I get on in the next few weeks or so. Bye for now
ng51guy
Fibre Addict

Postby Lauren12 » 24 Nov 2012, 17:45

Hi again ng51guy
As Lactulose was prescribed for you by your doctor, it might be an idea to check with him/her that he's happy for you to start reducing it and eventually to eliminate it. It sounds as though it's the Lactulose which may have made your stools loose enough that your fissure could heal, so you don't want them to get hard again and risk damage.
If your doctor's happy, then all well and good! It's a bit of a process of trial and error I found, to get your stools a good consistency with diet and anything else that aids it (prune juice in my case). Even when you get the right balance, it can be thrown out by things like dehydration on a hot day, or going on holiday and having a change of diet. All the best to you, and look forward to hearing how you get on.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ng51guy » 01 Dec 2012, 04:22

Hi lauren
Well things are going well, im down to 10ml a day now and bm are great ! ;o) its all looking good.
ng51guy
Fibre Addict

Postby Lauren12 » 01 Dec 2012, 06:21

Really pleased to hear things are going well for you. :)
I'm tempted to say, though, careful how you go about eliminating the Lactulose because you don't want a hard stool which may set you back. However, you know your body best, and if on 10 ml Lactulose plus good diet you're getting optimal stools, then great. :) 10 ml is quite a low dose, if I remember (I gave it up about a year ago now) so it's looking good. Personally, I find I need something in addition to diet to keep things soft and regular. For me, as mentioned, that's 200 ml prune juice a day. However if your diet alone is going to be OK, then all well and good. My CRS always did say that I was over cautious about eliminating the Lactulose. However he was the one to recommend reducing the dose very gradually. But I had been taking it (together with Movicol) for well over a year!
If you find things hardening up however, it is something you can re-introduce for occasional use, or even take long term, providing you check it out with your GP (there are some medical conditions where you can't do that).
All the best.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby 3 years now » 03 Dec 2012, 09:44

I stopped the Lactolose and changed to coconut oil. Take it internally, a tbsp morning and night, works wonders and its good for you! Google it.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby marg6043 » 03 Dec 2012, 10:50

I am taking coconut oil too, is better for your health as my doctor told me to take mineral oil. But my problem is not constipation is the terrible diarrhea problem left over after gallbladder removal last year that got me the fissure, I never taken Lactolose but I can tell that coconut oil works just wonderful and you can even cook with it and like others said is great for your health.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8