Dietitians

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Dietitians

Postby TheWife » 05 Nov 2012, 14:49

Hello,
A little background first: My husband suffers from anal fissures. He got his first one about seven years ago and was anal fissure free up until a year ago. He recovered from the anal fissure he had last November, but now he has another one. These two were triggered by hemorrhoid treatments. Over the years, he has kept a very high fiber diet mostly using peas to make sure his stools kept moving and were soft. My concern is that with an extremely limited diet, he is missing out on a lot of protein and other nutrients. He is currently eating kiwi, pears, peas, blueberries, squash, and Progresso Vegetable soup (he throws away the potatoes and noodles). Usually he will eat other things like sweet potatoes, oranges, and small servings of chicken but he is avoiding those things at this time.
My question is has anyone used a registered dietitian for a high fiber eating plan? I would like to ask the doctor to send him to a dietitian so we can make sure he is getting everything he needs while avoiding foods that aggravate his condition. Has anyone had experience with this? Was it successful? I don't want to push for this if it will be of no help to my husband.
TheWife

Topics: 1

Re: Dietitians

Postby jr2 » 05 Nov 2012, 15:15

You bring up very important points about nutrition. Often, anal fissure sufferers end up with disordered, imbalanced eating patterns due to the understandable fear about the effect of certain foods on the fissure. Too much fiber can actually be counterproductive for many people as it creates large stools that cause more stretching of the anus. Usually, a point of balance needs to be reached. Furthermore, when the body incurs a wound, it needs protein to heal, and it also needs essential nutrients available to promote successful healing. Your husband's diet sounds like it could be a bit unbalanced even though he is making some good choices with good nutrients. A consult with a dietician could be really helpful, as could adding some sort of stool softener to his regimen so that he can broaden his diet a bit more without incurring more damage to his fissure.
Good luck to you and your husband!
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Dietitians

Postby ng51guy » 01 Dec 2012, 05:10

I'v switched from eating meat to eating Quorn to get my protein, per 100 grms you get 14.5 grms protein and 5.5 grms fibre.
ng51guy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements