Lower left abdomen/back pain after fistulotomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Lower left abdomen/back pain after fistulotomy

Postby Whatever » 15 Nov 2012, 17:22

Hi everyone! I am so excited to find this site. Thank you!
I am post 10 days after a partial fistulotomy. Incision painful after bm,
2-3 hot baths/day, etc. - going thru exactly many of same things you have all posted here. My new issue - started day 6 as a slight twinge, dull pain in my lower left abdomen and radiates also into my lower back. It is now sharper. I've been thru 1 day of bad constipation few days ago and now back to just soup, water, liquids for a few days. Hard to know what to eat? Anyone experience this - could it be diverticulitis or something else? I have to go back to a stressful job 3 wks post surgery and this feels like I am going backwards in my recovery- I do have a cat scan scheduled.
I have learned after raising 4 kids to just say/think "whatever" (thus my username) but after my flare up, perirectal abscess/fistula diagnosis and now the surgery and complications- this is hard to share with family/friends. Thanks for all the great info and sharing your experiences!
Thanks for all the great info!
Whatever
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Lower left abdomen/back pain after fistulotomy

Postby Savaici » 16 Nov 2012, 20:27

Hi there and welcome to our merry band! Image
I can't really give much advice on anything to do with Fistulas, just the suggestion to use the search facility, top right, and read up on what others have posted. There are also a few hints on the link for websites, which might be of help. Hope someone who has had a fisulotomy comes along too, and would also suggest giving your surgeon a ring and let him/her know.
All the very best to you!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Diamond » 17 Nov 2012, 01:59

Hi "Whatever"! I recently had two fistulotomies but haven't experienced the abdominal/back pains you're referring to. I did have the worst abdominal cramps/pain due to constipation on day 3 post-surgery. I don't easily get constipated, typically go like clockwork every morning - I think that was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. It didn't radiate to my back or anything. I wonder if your pain is related to constipation? Is it one-sided or overall?
Are you taking any narcotic meds? If so, I would definitely take both stool softeners and laxatives - also drinks lots of water. After my day from hell on day 3, I was drinking 10+ glasses of water a day, eating lots of veggies, brown rice, at least 1 apple a day, yoghurt, fish/chicken and taking the softeners and laxative. Prior to that I was barely eating - I think that was part of the issue.
I was working from home 10 days post-surgery, and back in the office in just under 3 weeks. If the pain doesn't go away, and isn't attributable to constipation I would definitely contact your surgeon.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Whatever » 01 Dec 2012, 10:59

Thanks for thoughts all! I went to my chiropractor instead of the emergency room b/c I was having these other issues after my partial fistulotomy. My spine was out in 11 places , especially my L11-15 that was causing intestinal, hip and leg pain. I have the best chiropractor! My point here is.....any kind of procedure may cause you to need an adjustment. If I didn't go to him I would have been put on more prescription meds for diverticulitis, shingles, etc. I'm now 3.5 weeks post op and pretty much healed. Tablespoon of Mineral oil daily has helped me considerably -no further constipation!
Whatever
Fibre Addict

Postby Whatever » 01 Dec 2012, 11:13

Thanks for thoughts all! I went to my chiropractor instead of the emergency room b/c I was having these other issues after my partial fistulotomy. My spine was out in 11 places , especially my L11-15 that was causing intestinal, hip and leg pain. I have the best chiropractor! My point here is.....any kind of procedure may cause you to need an adjustment. If I didn't go to him I would have been put on more prescription meds for diverticulitis, shingles, etc. I'm now 3.5 weeks post op and pretty much healed. Tablespoon of Mineral oil daily has helped me considerably -no further constipation!
Whatever
Fibre Addict

Postby Diamond » 02 Dec 2012, 22:36

Glad to hear you've figured out exactly what it was. 3.5 weeks and almost healed is very impressive!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3