Fresh Papaya!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Fresh Papaya!

Postby muzgut22 » 02 Dec 2012, 11:21

Hello everyone, although I am still a newbie to this, I have had minor fissures and hemorrhoids before so I think I have a little experience. I have found something that really helps and thought I would share it with everyone. I did a quick search and I don't think it has been discussed before (except for papaya enzymes which are different). If I had to pick one food item that has significantly helped my bowel movements it has been papaya. I wasn't a big fan of the fruit, however when I told my grandma a few years back that I was constipated, she insisted on papaya. So I gave it a shot. And I have to say that it has really helped preventing constipation and keeping my stools soft. I eat about a cup of eat first thing in the morning and a cup before I go to bed. I would eat more of it but it is difficult to find in the US and a little expensive. I tend to find it at Whole Foods (they even have it cubed and ready to eat) or Hispanic Markets.
One other tidbit that I must mention that my CRS told me is that water is important (yes we all know this), however, he said that I need to drink water while I am eating my meal not just throughout the day. I thought this was obvious but during my next meal I noticed that I tend to drink water before and after, not during. He said I should take a few bites and then a few gulps of water and so on. He said otherwise, water throughout the day helps mostly my kidneys.
That's it, just thought this might help someone as Papaya isn't usually a fruit people tend to think of for our problem. Also if you have other foods that have helped that aren't the obvious high fiber foods feel free to share them here :)
muzgut22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Fresh Papaya!

Postby Lauren12 » 02 Dec 2012, 16:59

Thanks for that. I'll give papaya a go - probably in my fruit salad that I make up and eat every day. Being an exotic fruit though (in the UK), I wonder if it's expensive.
I do drink water whilst I'm eating; I'm always amazed at people that can eat a whole meal and not feel thirsty in the middle of it! I always have to have a large glass of water in front of me when I sit down to dinner or lunch - but no one else I know seems bothered.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 03 Dec 2012, 04:35

Thanks for sharing muzgut22
Good tip about the water!
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby muzgut22 » 03 Dec 2012, 08:46

Lauren12, make sure you are getting ripe papaya, it should be an orange color. I know certain cuisines use green papaya for salads but I cannot vouch for it. I wonder if dried papaya has the same effect, you might be able to order that online.
I am going on a trip to Europe mid dec and instead of being excited about my trip I am terrified that I won't be able to follow my routine and eat everything that has been helping. Hence, I thought of getting some dried papaya so I can keep eating it. Anyone have any other food suggestions of items I can travel with?
muzgut22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5