Hi from giviti

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi from giviti

Postby giviti » 03 Dec 2012, 07:03

Hi folks - I need another forum like a hole in the head as I spend long enough sitting on my sore ass as it is so I'll try to make it short Image
No worries - 'bout my affliction and how it came about.
After 70 years of fairly good health this fistula thing came out of the blue. First diagnosis was internal piles which I'm sure were caused by constipation. They quickly disappeared and I went off to the Outer Hebrides (Scotland) for a week touring on my motorcycle. My tour in August coincided with them receiving their annual rainfall in a week and that's a lot of rain! Yes - I spent a lot of time sitting around in wet gear waiting for ferries that were late or didn't run at-all due to breakdowns.
On returning home I was again treated for piles (without any examination) for several weeks till one day my buttocks swelled up and I was 'rushed' to hospital for an emergency operation to drain an abcess in my butt.
During surgery they found that the abcess problem was quite extensive and I was left to drain with daily changes of dressing. At that time there was no sign of infection.
After five days I was sent home and tried to set up the daily change of change of dressing procedure with my local Practice Nurse. A series of daily visits to health surgeries in the area were set up which meant I was having to drive most days for treatment. I got the feeling that the nurses placed this treatment very low on their priority list - indeed one nurse suggested that this change of dressing procedure should be carried out by my partner.
I had my dressing changed by ten different nurses in all over a 12-15 day period. So I don't have a partner and with the benefit of hindsight it's no surprise to find that the outer end of the wound healed up early.
All went reasonably well for several days after this then I noticed signs of a clear fluid discharge in the area of the scar tissue. Eventually I was examined back at the hospital and was told I would need further examination under an anaesthetic. I received a phone call a few minutes ago telling me I was booked in for the 18th Dec.
There appears to be no hurry yet the clear fluid leakage has now turned green and there is obviously something rotten in my anus area although no one is in a hurry to fix it.
I'm certainly not impressed with our National Health Service over their treatment of my Fistula problem and their lack of advice regarding diet.
I have yet to meet the consultant named on the letter heading as the person who is responsible for my treatment and it would appear that he will be off work for another 3 to 4 months. Apparently they intend to bring in a locum for my visit on 18th Dec. Am I happy about this? Not a lot! Image
As for Fistula's and abcesses around the butt - I have never heard of this problem before and I'm surprised to note just how common it is. I suppose people would rather not admit to having BUTT problems.
Great to find this website - I've enjoyed reading some of the posts and finding that I am not alone. I didn't intend going on at such length but it has been such a pleasure to find fellow sufferers and I now realise that this may not be a minor 3 or 4 week problem but could go on for some time yet and will need carefull handling if I am to be able to sit on a motorcycle again in the Spring. :D
giviti

Topics: 1

Re: Hi from giviti

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Dec 2012, 11:51

Hi giviti, welcome to the forum. :) Sorry to hear of all you've been through. Our NHS can be frustrating!
I haven't suffered a fistula thankfully (I had a fissure) but as you've probably found through reading, there are lots of people here who have, who I'm sure can give good input.
You're right about people not admitting to having butt problems! How come we can talk openly about a medical condition affecting any other part of our anatomy,but not there?!
All the best with your treatment.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Re: Hi from giviti

Postby giviti » 03 Dec 2012, 15:11

Thanks for the greetings Lauren - fistula or fissure - I really don't know the difference. This is a whole new ballgame for me. I'm sure if I stick around on this forum I will find out all I want to know and some that I don't. lol
bye for now - giviti
giviti

Topics: 1

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here