3 months after surgery and getting worse

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 months after surgery and getting worse

Postby rpup » 06 Dec 2012, 14:27

Hi,
I had LIS surgery for an anal fissure about 3 months ago. I was extremely concerned about incontinence, but afterwards it seemed to be ok. It was not too bad the few weeks afterwards, however there was always, and still is everyday marks on underwear. About 2 weeks ago I had a proper incontience moment where i couldnt tell the difference between wind and no.2.
Also over the past few weeks I have bascially been getting a lot of bright red blood in the bowl and on the paper everytime, however it doesnt hurt like it did before surgery.
I saw the surgeon about a week after surgery and havnt been back since. He said it would take a few weeks to heal, but its been 3 months and if anything im getting more blood then i was. Can a fissure reopen or something.
I do not have a very good diet because I am at university and so I eat a lot of junk food. Also would using the cream help even after surgery?
Any advice is very welcome,
Thanks
rpup

Topics: 1

Re: 3 months after surgery and getting worse

Postby RedRose80 » 07 Dec 2012, 09:48

If you don't change your diet, you will never heal.
RedRose80
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby rpup » 07 Dec 2012, 17:36

I didnt realise the diet was so important?
rpup

Postby SteveR » 08 Dec 2012, 04:09

Diet is essential
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby owmybum » 08 Dec 2012, 04:18

Yes, eating a good diet with a good balance of fibre to get a good stool consistency is very advisable rpup.
Have a good look through the diet tips board and see if you can get some ideas of how to tweak your own diet.
Being at uni doesn't mean you have to eat junk all the time. A good cereal at breakfast, fruit as snacks, lots of fluid throughout the day can all help with better bms.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Lauren12 » 08 Dec 2012, 17:10

Hi rpup
It took me 8 or 9 months to get back to normal after the LIS op, so some of us take longer. However I didn't have blood as you describe (we all differ and I never had much blood, even pre-op) and maybe you should see your CRS for another check up and to set your mind at rest?
I'd reiterate what the others said about the importance of diet, even afer the LIS. When I went away on holiday in the summer, I tried to stick to a high fibre diet, but think I was eating even more fibre than usual, and getting dehydrated in the hot weather. It was difficult to check fibre content on foods when I wasn't at home, cooking for myself. I suffered one day where I thought I was back in pre-fissure hell, where I had to lay down in bed because pain had started up. But the very next day I was normal again! Nevertheless, I rushed back to the CRS at the earliest opportunity to check out what had happened. He said either, that I might get something like this once a year, or that when further time had passed after the operation, this sort of thing wouldn't happen any more (can't recall what exactly) - but that in any event, any damage from larger or harder stools due to change of diet would now heal because I'd had the LIS. But he told me to continue with the healthy diet I'd eaten pre-LIS!
Why not go back to your CRS for a check-up and some reassurance?
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rpup » 09 Dec 2012, 19:48

Thanks for the response. I think I will check back with the surgeon just incase.
I'm also gonna be eating a lot more fruit and veg, and aim to get as much fibre as possible.
rpup