Botox Results

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox Results

Postby cherylk » 17 Nov 2012, 06:51

Guys and gals,
I just did a search for "Botox" and found 81 threads. Let's start a new one here where everyone can post their results in a summary for anyone who may be considering the Botox option. Also, going forward it might be helpful b/4 starting a new topic to first do a search for that specific topic in order to simply add to what others may have already posted previously about it. That should result in a thread with even more history. We're all in this together to help one another as we push towards healing with our various modalities for our similar conditions. Kim might even be able to make this one a sticky thread.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Re: Botox Results

Postby Bajan » 17 Nov 2012, 11:41

Hi...I am new to the forum and hope I am replying properly here.
I went throught he botox injections about 3 weeks ago. 3 injections in the anus, which were no where near as uncomfortable as the finger probe prior to...
At first and after about 3 or 4 days, I thought that things were slowly improving. However as time went on, and as the botox seemed to slowly wear off...the pain returned and am now 'back to normal' with respect to anal fissure pain.
The surgeon did advise that it had around a 75% success rate, so I'm obviously in the 25% that it does not work for.
If I could have a month or so without a bowl movement...perhaps it would work!!
Going in for a colonoscopy next week and hopefully surgery after that.
Really would like to get my life back asap.
Bajan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Wiltsman » 25 Nov 2012, 14:27

Like you Bajan I had Botox and I came out in much more pain than I went in with. Really wish I had not had it done.
So disappointed ...
Wiltsman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Lauren12 » 25 Nov 2012, 15:48

I had two lots of Botox at six monthly intervals. The first time I had it, the surgeon decided to band my haemorrhoids and remove my skin tags as well, so I couldn't really make comment about the first occasion because I had other, more painful, procedures to recover from at the same time. However the second time I had it, I had Botox alone. I had it done under general anaesthetic and the injections themselves were no problem.
It didn't cure my fissure pain completely (I was rather unusual in that I'd had a major fissure that had healed spontaneously but was still getting pain from muscle spasm, and because I had a tight anus, I kept getting minor fissures with bowel movements). It did alleviate the pain somewhat, but when it wore off after four months or so, the pain came back.
So eventually I had the LIS operation, which cured me. The CRS who performed the LIS operation said that there are some people for whom botox doesn't work, and I was one. However he certainly had patients for whom it did work.
You may get a rather unrepresentative sample of people who've had botox on this thread, as I suspect the people for whom it has worked have just got on with their lives and may not be seeking out anal fissure forums.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 25 Nov 2012, 18:35

Lauren,
Thank you for posting your experience here! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby shouldi » 26 Nov 2012, 01:54

Totally agree there Lauren that most people botox has worked for do not post back on here as they dont have a problem...
we need to hear the success stories, come on there must be some...
shouldi
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Newmommy » 14 Dec 2012, 21:58

Hi! I'm a Botox success story. I am pasting my entire post from Feb of this year for anyone who hasn't seen it. Also, would like to report that I am now more than a year since my first injection and 10 months since my second and all is good with me. I have minor setbacks here and there is I'm careless with my diet but it always fixes itself within a few days and no spasm issues anymore. I also do not take any sort of stool softener or anything anymore. I stopped all of that within a month of my second injection.
Here's the old post:
Hi All,
I found this forum when I was at my most depressed and feeling the worst and it educated me on treatment options. I haven't felt comfortable posting my story until now as I didn't want to jinx anything, but I keep reading posts from people who want to bypass Botox altogether because they haven't heard many success stories...so, here's mine:
I gave birth to a gorgeous little boy on June 23, 2011. Everything was fine with the delivery. Had some tearing and some swelling post but took colace for a couple of days and had my first bowel movement and everything was seemingly fine. I was exclusively breastfeeding and at about 3 weeks post-delivery, I was so exhausted, I must not have been taking very good care of myself, so I got a case of MAJOR consitpation due to being dehydrated from breastfeeding. I wasn't able to have a BM for 3 days and when I did, the pain was excruciating! After that, I was in SO much pain. I kept thinking I just had hemmroids (sp?) so I kept using my ointment for that. Doctor prescribed me some Elocom steroid cream but it didn't help the pain at all.
At 12 weeks post-delivery, I went back to he doctor to make sure nothing else was going on other than hemmroids and when I was examined, he determined I had a really bad infection/abscess from delivery from where I tore. I was placed on antibiotics which helped relieve the pain during the bowel movement for a couple of weeks but the pain came back with a vengeance. Long story short, it wasn't until 4 months post-delivery that my doctor realized I had fissures and my sphincter tone was through the roof according to him. I was given nitro-glycerin ointment 0.1% and that only helped slightly. A month later, I was having so much pain still and mostly from spasms, not so much the actual BM. I finally saw a CRS on Nov 30 and he scheduled me in for Botox the next day.
The injections stung pretty bad for a few seconds but then it was fine. (25 units on each side). Things then got MUCH worse before they got better. We were leaving for Mexico on Christmas Day and I was so not looking forward to the trip. I had myself on a routine where I would have a BM at night and then would generally be having my spasms while I slept so I was usually ok by morning. That was amazing, because before I had been going first thing in the morning and then was unable to even take care of my baby because of all the pain.
Things did not start getting better until a full MONTH after the Botox. All of a sudden, I stopped feeling any pressure pain after a BM. I could still feel discomfort from the fissures themselves so I knew I wasn't healed but it took a full month. Occasionally, I would still feel slight pressure pain for about 30 seconds during my day but then it would go away.
Today, I can report, that as of Feb 1st, 2 full months post-Botox, I haven. Felt any pressure pain at all. My CRS wants me to get another course of Botox just to insure full healing as I still feel that the area is tender there.
My daily routine is 2 colace per day.
2 prunes at night before bed. (I was at 5/day until a couple of weeks ago and I slowly decreased)
I am still breastfeeding so drinking as much water as I can.
Hope this helps someone or gives someone hope. I was in the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and I am feeling so much better now.
Newmommy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1