Any suggestions for pain relief?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Any suggestions for pain relief?

Postby Jessjess » 30 Jan 2013, 13:51

(Entry REVISION about acetominophen) Hello CrackinUp- great user name! This problem that we can can absolutely drive one crazy!
Just a heads up on my current situation. I have a chronic fissure and surgery scheduled for Monday. I thought I was getting better yesterday but with this morning's trip to the bathroom came the major pain again. Since it will not heal on it's own, I am confined to bed pretty much for the next 5 days. I can't imagine not being able to get surgery. I would call around and ask more people if you have other options. There HAS to be way.
I get a lot of relief from painkillers but it's not 100%. I have been taking 1 hydrocodone and 1 Motrin (not acetominophen due to it being it the hydrocodone already) every 4 hours. The painkillers combined with a heating pad are working. I set the heating pad on low and then high for minute then back to low. The heating pad may inhibit healing unfortunately but it dulls the pain and can be used till the painkillers kick in.
Hope this helps!
Last edited by Jessjess on 31 Jan 2013, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

trying to survive on soup

Postby GGky1959 » 30 Jan 2013, 15:16

CrackinUp wrote:Do you think we could survive a month on soup?
I'm not sure this would help me, as I'm often very loose as it is and then when a big one finally comes I get the issue...

I'm trying it more for diet sake than anything....I am overwieght and my doctors seem to think it may help. One thing I'm doing that is really helping me, after a bm, I'm soaking a wash cloth in steamy hot water and giving myself a sweet angel bath for lack of a better word...that water squashed between my bum helps sooooo much. That and a 800mg of IBuf....the combo is heavan sent. I'm also doing the fiber pills and prune juice. I just want to stop hurting, thats all.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby CrackinUp » 30 Jan 2013, 16:21

@Jessjess thanks for the advice, I've just ordered a heat pad but had no idea it would hinder the healing process :(
@GGky1959 I have a good diet, drink 3-4 litres of water per day and before the fissure was also exercising for an hour 4 days a week. In terms of weight, I'm perfect for my size.
Yesterday I had an unexpected, hard / large movement (I have IBS) and 12 hours severe pain followed this. I was in tears with the pain. I now have GTN for the spasms, although this only reduced my pain slightly today... hoping for a better day tomorrow.
Anyway, I was trying to recover mine through diet alone and feel I may have made matters worse. I'm 4 weeks in now I think.... starting to lose track!!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby ring of fire » 30 Jan 2013, 17:08

Posting this again in case someone might get a little help: I saw a CRS today and she said I have a 50% chance of healing with the nifed oitment. She said to apply it just inside to about the first pinky nuckle 3x day for the nxt 8 weeks.
She also said to stop the Miralax and switch to 2 Colace tablets over the next few days.
She recommended probiotics - good ones with multiple strains.
And to add 10 grams of fiber like Metamucil to my diet each day. She was happy with my cutting out the coffee and gave me a list of foods to avoid. Like coffee, alcohol, tomatoes, nuts.
Also said to use Calmoseptine ointment on the outside.
Other tips she gave: hot baths after bms or 3x day, Balneol cleansing lotion or alcohol free wet wipes, Advil as needed, and 5% Lidocaine for pain. I also added cod liver oil to my diet (great source of vitamin D and A), cut way back on sugar, no sodas, no coffee, very little dairy, no red meat. Also trying slippery elm bark tea or capsules. And, I stopped straining and holding my breath during a poop. I wanted to get it all out so I wouldn't have to go again, but have found it's better to just go as you have to.
Praying for healing and hope that posting this helps someone else.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby tommyohio » 30 Jan 2013, 17:50

Thanks for your post ring of fire. I am new to this sight and still hoping in an odd way that my problem is a fissure. Will see the doctor on Friday evening at 8pm of all times! But I can relate to wanting to get it all out. The longer between poops the better it feels. But today it happened 3 times and like you said - it's better to just go. I could really use some moral support - today I just wanted to check in to an emergency room and have everything examined. I have had very little blood but the classic burning and itching as if I had a spicy meal about an hour afterwards. Sitz baths are the best but not practical at work. Thanks all.
tommyohio

Topics: 1

Motrin/hydrocodon (not acetominophen)/laying on belly!/FAN

Postby Jessjess » 31 Jan 2013, 08:10

Still waiting on surgery- 1 day to go (this post intially started 4 days ago) For the past couple of days I have been wondering if I should use the "heal at home" methods or just focus on pain management till my surgery. I am voting on pain management. What has helped me the most is painkillers, sitz baths, and laying on my belly (NOT SITTING).
Below is my pain management system (revised!).
6 AM- water, Kashi bar, 8oz coffee
6:30 AM- bathroom- ouch! Take 2 Hydrocodone 5-325 and 1 Motrin (no acetominophen or Tylenol- already 650 mg in hydrocodone). Drink a couple of glasses of water.
6:45 AM- Sitz bath in tub for 20 minutes to help with swelling and get clean. Use Rectiv and use fan for blowing butt with cool air- alleviates burning sensation. Apply Nifidepine cream. Lay on belly- no sitting.
7:00 AM- Eat Activia yogurt and some saltine crackers or a bowl of Mini Wheats. Take Gas X and 100 mg Colace.
8 AM- feeling better- keep up water intake
11 AM Eat apple and chicken noodle soup- take 1 hydrocodone 5-325/2 Aleve with full glass of water
3 PM Eat salad with Olive oil dressing- 1 hydrocodone/1 Motrin with full glass of water and take another 100 mg Colace- Use Proctofoam if needed- move around and maybe try to do some laundry or go to the grocery store to make sure I am stocked up on good food. Sitz bath and lay on belly- no sitting.
7 PM Eat Chinese food- vegetable dish with white rice- easy and good food with brocolli- an awesome choice for fiber or simply another salad. Take 1 hydrocodone/1 Motrin. Drink a couple of glasses of water. Take Gas X.
11 PM Apple pie with a couple of prunes or cut up prunes and put on raisin cinnamon bread toasted with butter and cup of skim milk. Take 1 hydrocodone 5-325/1 Aleve with full glass of water and take 100 mg of Colace. Sitz bath. Insert RECTIV. Apply Nifidepine cream. Sleep on belly.
Yes, taking care of my butt pain is a JOB! Sorry for any confusion. This entry has been edited due to trial and error.
I am also trying to talk to people and stay in touch with the "outside" world! :D Right now I'm laying on my belly to relieve pressure with heating pad on my butt. Nurse also recommended Milk of Magnesia for constipation, of which I have not had but just in case. I have start to eat a couple of prunes at night to ensure my morning trip to the toilet.
Last edited by Jessjess on 03 Feb 2013, 09:25, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Motrin, sitz bath, fan, RECTIV, laying on belly (NOT SITTING)
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby 3 years now » 31 Jan 2013, 09:00

Hi - PROCTOFOAM?? I have never heard of it, please explain, thank you.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Add fan for pain relief

Postby Jessjess » 31 Jan 2013, 11:23

Hello all- just a few revisions to my earlier post that I went ahead and edited but I am adding this to make sure. I spoke with the nurse this morning and she said to stop taking the acetominophen (Tylenol- max dose- 3000mg/day) with the hydrocodone(already contains 500 mg acetominophen) because it might be too much acetominophen which overworks the liver. She said to take Motrin (same as 800 mg ibuprofen) or Aleve with the hydrocodone instead. She also said that the ibuprofen will reduce swelling, and I guess the pain associated with it. Anyhow, I will follow the nurses instruction.
She also recommended putting a damp cloth on the heating pad as wet heat works better, hence the sitz baths. I thought I would be okay without a sitz bath this morning, but I was wrong. I started hurting again and the sitz bath with HOT water helped. The heating pad helped at first, but with the skin tag, it was too much pressure and pain due to sitting. I am now laying on my belly for the most part without the heating pad and it has helped a lot! And in the morning, until the meds kick in, I back my butt into my fan after the sitz bath. The cool air feels good and alleviates the burning sensation! Image
Last edited by Jessjess on 03 Feb 2013, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: max dose if acetiminophen (Tylenol) 3000 mg/day- NOT SITTING anymore
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jessjess » 31 Jan 2013, 11:35

Proctofoam is a prescription med. It is inserted into the anus and it is very easy to apply. It helps for a little while but not for hours. I think it is a hemorroid medication to reduce swelling and inflamation, but it seems to help with the fissure as well.
I edited my entry above to re-include RECTIV. I stopped using it because I didn't think it was helping but I was wrong. I think the RECTIV helps more than the Proctofoam.
Last edited by Jessjess on 31 Jan 2013, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding RECTIV back to pain mgmt
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby tommyohio » 02 Feb 2013, 16:51

My doctor just confirmed that I have an anal fissure. Relieved that it wasn't something worse but now concerned how long until I can start exercising again. The anxiety of not knowing what was wrong combined with not being able to work out was unbearable. I have found that after a 20 minute sitz bath a warm rice bag feels really good back there. Doctor was very nice and knowledgeable but only recommended metamucil. We'll see what happens. So glad to know we are not alone in this.
tommyohio

Topics: 1