Lateral Sphincterotomy 7 days ago (PAIN)!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Lateral Sphincterotomy 7 days ago (PAIN)!

Postby toomuchpain » 31 Jan 2013, 07:56

Hello, I had my surgery 7 days ago. I regret it more & more every day. The pain right after a BM is so severe. I have NEVER felt pain like this in my life. The other morning i was screaming and crying in pain. I have birthed 3 children and feel like I have a high tolerance for pain. giving birth is nothing compared to the pain I am in after a BM. I cant even wipe....I have to get right into the shower and clean myself with the shower head. I wish i had left it alone i could have lived the rest of my life with my fissure and itchy butt. Im sorry this is so neggative I need encouragement that it will get better. One thing i dont understand is why my 1st few BM's had almost no pain but after about day 3 pain is threw the roof. wondering if its infected? my doc said it looks good. PLEASE help Image
toomuchpain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Lateral Sphincterotomy 7 days ago (PAIN)!

Postby toomuchpain » 31 Jan 2013, 07:58

PS ...my mother had same surgery and had NO pain after.
toomuchpain
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 31 Jan 2013, 09:30

toomuchpain...
I'm so sorry you are having so much pain after your surgery. Everyone reacts differently to surgery and heals in different ways. I'm wondering what kind of pain medication your doctor has prescribed for you. While it's true that narcotic pain relievers are constipating, that can usually be overcome with something like Miralax. Having this level of pain after surgery actually will slow the healing process because of the stress it is causing. When we are under that much stress from pain our body circulates increased levels of stress hormones, counterproductive to healing. Your pain levels need better management, so I would suggest a call to your surgeon to ask for a better plan for your pain.
On the encouragement side, yes, yes, yes, the pain IS going to get better. It seems impossible to believe right now. I haven't had LIS butI have had 3 painful surgeries for other health problems, so I know how it feels to be in that phase where you are overwhelmed and desperate with the pain. It IS going to get better. You've got 7 days under your belt. That is really good. You'll never have to do those same 7 days again.
Sending you a big hug.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby toomuchpain » 31 Jan 2013, 10:06

jr2, thanks for the kind words. :-) I am taking percosets and aleve. They do nothing to help with my pain during and after BM. My doc said i am lucky because some people have constant pain :-( what do u think about the fact that i had almost no pain during BM first few days but now i have extreme pain? BM are still very soft too.
toomuchpain
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 31 Jan 2013, 11:12

It actually isn't that surprising to me to hear you are having a spike in pain now, and actually felt less pain earlier on out. If you consider the different stages a wound goes through as it heals, and how those stages will both occur in different times and last for different amounts of time in different people, it isn't at all that uncommon. As healing begins, the body first takes care of blood loss and controlling that. Then there is the inflammatory phase, then the laying down of granulation tissue (proliferative phase), then a remodeling phase. During these phases there can be a variety of different levels of pain, and different kinds of pain. Given that the anal area isn't allowed to rest, it is little surprise that these phases are going to have some variability for different people. Plus, we are all wired a bit differently with nerves, etc.
Have you tried varying the timing of your pain medications? Like, if you know you usually have a BM in the morning, have you tried taking the meds an hour or so before you anticipate a BM? Also, you could ask your doctor if he coukd switch you from Aleve to Toradol to see if you get extra relief. Another idea would be a low dose of Valium to help your muscles (and you) stay relaxed through those more painful BMs, but along with Percocet your doctor might not want to go that route. Toradol is an anti-inflammatory, but it seems to work better on post-operative pain than Aleve for most people.
Don't you just love doctors? I'm sure you're feeling really "lucky" right about now! Shame on him! ;-)
jr2

Postby toomuchpain » 31 Jan 2013, 16:13

yes. i always have BM in am. so i take pain med as soon as i get up. Yesterday i held some in because i was afraid to go again. this i will not do again because it made it worse today. My doc did mention a adivan but i have kids that i need to be awake for. Well, today it hurt like heck but im either used to the pain or i think it may have hurt a tad less :-) heres hoping!!!
toomuchpain
Fibre Addict

Postby toomuchpain » 04 Feb 2013, 10:55

Just wanted to say at day I had almost NO PAIN after BM!!! Image And have had several pain free since!!! YAAAAY!
toomuchpain
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 05 Feb 2013, 11:31

hooray!
jr2