Hemp Protein Powder, Miralax, and Coconut Oil Suppositories

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Hemp Protein Powder, Miralax, and Coconut Oil Suppositories

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 04 Feb 2013, 15:23

Hi all,
I've never taken any fiber supplements before, but I decided to try hemp protein powder to increase my fiber intake. It seems to work wonderfully so far in terms of smooth and consistent size/shape of BMs when added to smoothies and oatmeal. Hemp protein has a lot of vitamins/minerals (zinc, iron, magnesium) and fiber, so it's great for increasing nutrients and fiber at the same time. It is mostly insoluble however, so it's important to balance it with even more soluble fiber to make sure it's soft. I cook the oatmeal very soft and add a lot of water and almond milk as well as a whole banana and a few figs (which are great for making soft poos). It's hard to tease apart what exactly is working and not working, but I've been eating about the same breakfast for months and the hemp fiber has been about the only change, aside from making the oatmeal more liquidy.
Per so many recommendations about Miralax, I decided to try it a couple days ago and it is certainly a savior. It has eliminated the hard-tipped-stool problem which had been my real foe in this battle (I had gotten everything else soft except that first morning BM, and just the tip of it). As long as I take it in the evening with dinner, I am able to evacuate any stool I've built up since the morning BEFORE bedtime. I think this has solved the hard-tip problem (because it then doesn't have as much time to dry out). It seems like two teaspoons per morning and night is the right amount. I dissolve it in tea so I can drink it slowly. Also anti-gas pills!
Thank you to whoever mentioned the coconut oil suppositories! I ordered the molds and they've been perfect. BMs are now way less painful (sometimes hardly at all, which is hard to imagine when they were unbearable a week ago). As soon as I get up in the morning, I do a hot sitz bath for 10 minutes or so, then dry off and put one in and wait another 10 minutes with butt in the air so that it doesn't leak out, and by the time I have to go there's almost no friction at all. They stop the itchiness too.
Anyway, I don't want to be redundant, but this forum is a blessing, so I wanted to share what has been working.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Hemp Protein Powder, Miralax, and Coconut Oil Suppositories

Postby Port » 06 Feb 2013, 22:36

Thanks for posting the things that worked for you Crayon. Hemp fiber is new to me, will have to check it out. Miralax was probably the biggest single factor is getting rid of my nuclear tipped poop, seemed no matter how much water I'd push, I'd always seem to extract too much from inevitable large problem child near the door Image I'd heard figs were good, going to give em a try too.
Last edited by Port on 07 Feb 2013, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make it read correctly
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Hemp Protein Powder, Miralax, and Coconut Oil Suppositories

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 07 Feb 2013, 07:37

Port: Exactly! For the first week after my diagnosis I completely overhauled my diet to be only soft and soluble fibrous, and drank even more water (I already drink too much water as it is probably), and nothing would stop the nuclear tipped poo. My doctor didn't mention Miralax, so I was relieved to find out about it and see that it works perfectly. Haha, "large problem child near the door." :D
Figs do help (I almost said "doo," this is terrible). Dried organic/nonsulphured apricots and peanut butter too (together they're really good).
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5