Fissure returned 8 yrs after surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure returned 8 yrs after surgery

Postby jrb » 08 Feb 2013, 13:46

Hello--I'm 36 years old and had a bilateral spinchterotomy for a fissure in 2005. I felt a million times better within days. My doctor told me I could pretty much never get a fissure again after having the surgery. So years later, I started feeling familiar twinges of pain after a bm--and unfortunately I ignored it. It would last a few days and I'd be fine again.
So to my horror, I started having pain every day and often at night and knew I had another fissure at the beginning of 2013. I tend to have pain for several hours after a bm. Blood w/ every bm--the toilet water is bright red. And then sometimes I wake up in pain during the night and can't sleep. I find there are many different kinds of pain, ranging from stinging, throbbing, to stabbing--depending on whether I need to have a bm, just had one, or maybe went but didn't get it all out???
I went to the doctor as soon as the pain became bad. I followed her instructions to increase fiber, drank tons of water, etc., applied hydrocort/pramoxine cream, and used Camphol 4 suppositories and I was taking baths 3-5xs/day depending on the pain and my bm schedule.
I did all of this and was still in so much pain 4 weeks later, feeling worse some days, definitely no better.
I've been reading all of your posts and am thankful for new ideas of things to try--I tried coconut oil, taking probiotic supplements and magnesium...
BUT i'm finally starting to feel better--I made some radical diet changes and noticed a difference w/in days. I'm thinking I should post that info in the Diet section on this board? Thanks!
jrb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Fissure returned 8 yrs after surgery

Postby Savaici » 08 Feb 2013, 13:57

Image to you! It would be great if you post what has helped you.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby delasama » 08 Feb 2013, 16:13

I hope your new fissure heals with diet alone!
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 08 Feb 2013, 17:55

Jrb, question for you. Do you recall why you got another fissure? Change of diet, constipation etc. just curious since I had lis surgery a few months ago.
Deleted User 1775

Postby jrb » 09 Feb 2013, 05:46

I think I just got lazy about my fiber intake. Too many white breads, pastas, etc, although i always ate lots of veggies. but I'd be constipated a day or two each month. I'm sure it's rare to get another one after surgery. I had pain a couple of days ea month for 6 months, before it became a full blown, intolerable fissure. I should've changed my diet at the first signs and I bet I would've been fine. Good luck to you!
jrb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6