? Qtips for Nifedipine ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

? Qtips for Nifedipine ?

Postby alesme » 12 Feb 2013, 19:25

Hello all, I was just diagnosed today and given lidocaine 5% and Nifedipine .2% ointments. I was told to insert the qtip into rectum and rotate the swab around. I did, painfully and drew blood. Is there a better way? Thank you in advance, I am so glad I found this forum!.
-Dave
alesme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: ? Qtips for Nifedipine ?

Postby suzyljank » 12 Feb 2013, 19:40

Hi, I use a qtip, put some ointment on the outside of your bum first. Give it a chance to relax the muscle, then lubricate the qtip with more ointment insert just a little bit and slowly. You don't have to rotate it, slowly remove and that's it. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby alesme » 12 Feb 2013, 19:51

I will try that, thank you. One more question though should I wait in the AM until I've had my BM or should I apply before BM?
alesme
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 12 Feb 2013, 19:54

If you use it before you go your muscle will be more relaxed, but it's really up to you. I use it after I shower and before I go to bed.
suzyljank

Postby alesme » 12 Feb 2013, 20:14

Again, thank you! My wife suggested something and I'd like your thoughts. She suggested using finger cots on my pinky, at least I could feel my way in and not be poking in the wrong spot. what do you think? Pinky still too big?
alesme
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 12 Feb 2013, 20:16

I don't know, for me it would be but maybe not for you. You could try and if it was too uncomfortable just stop. Good luck. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby coconut » 12 Feb 2013, 21:58

I use a pointer finger, but my hands are very small. It is a lot easier if you put a small amount on the outside and wait for ten minutes, and then go in further. After a few days, I no longer have to wait. My rectum is more relaxed. I defiantly feel like I can do better with a finger than with a q-tip. Fingers let you respond better to the sensation of the sphincter relaxing in response to you entering. You can tell better when to ease up and when its OK to push in.
Also - defiantly important to lube your finger. I use coconut oil. If you use Vaseline or other petroleum products as a lube and wait ten minutes, some finger cots will break down and tear when you go back to push more medicine in. Just an FYI. With cheaper finger cots, the latex breaks down very quickly. I also worry that petroleum products will keep the medicine from sinking in, but I base that on nothing.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby sotiredofthis » 13 Feb 2013, 15:30

I am allergic to latex which is what the finger cots I bought were made of and I had some terrible irritation. Now I buy the non-latex gloves and just cut off the fingers and use that to apply the nitro with my pointer finger. I never tried the q tips. I didn't think I would be able to feel what I was doing and would possibly cause more damage and pain. My nitro is cut with Vaseline from the pharmacist so it hasn't been hard to insert with a finger. Just go slowly and let your muscle relax a little as you insert your finger. That's what has worked for me.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby coconut » 13 Feb 2013, 16:04

I actually use whole gloves. The finger cots just don't work for me and gloves are not that expensive. Its neater to just pull off a full glove if you know what you are doing.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12