Anal Fissure - Any Asians esp from Singapore?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fissure - Any Asians esp from Singapore?

Postby BenHO » 21 Feb 2013, 23:33

Hi all, apologies if the title of the thread sounds a little too Asian-centric, but i was hoping to know people in this part of the world (esp in Singapore, if any) to share experiences and perhaps to also provide advice on the type of diet/even medical references, suggestions so that we can better make sense of this terrible pain!
I've been suffering from an anal fissure for almost a year. Back then I was in Sydney traveling for a holiday when i noticed during a BM fresh blood dripping...suffice to say, the 10hr return trip to Singapore on the plane was not the most comfortable. After I came back, i visit the GP who prescribed suppositories. It helped and the pain subsided and BM was not a problem. But over a period of nine months, the AF returned several times and i had to use suppositories for about one week each time.
Shortly before the delivery of my kid, I decided to visit a CRS to see what other options there were as the AF did not seem to heal. He did a colonoscope and a gastroscope and there was nothing wrong with my body. He also helped me to do an anal stretch as well as prescribed Rectogesic.
Since then (about Jan 2013), the AF seemed to have returned with a vengeance. Over the past month or so, I've been having severe spasms which would last five to six hours after a BM... i've been cutting down on meat (which is very difficult for an Asian-CHinese like myself) and have been subsisting on a diet of vegetables, fruits and other stomach-light food. I am also on a regular supplement diet of Spirulina and Lactobacillus acidophilus, but clearly these are not your usual AF remedies. The best i could achieve was about a week of generally soft stool when i consumed a combination of dragon fruit/prune juice/stool softerner and a teaspoon of molasses before bed time...but the instant such a diet is not being adhered too, my BM would become hard and the AF would begin all over again...
Appreciate any comments/advise you may have. If you are from my part of the world/country, ps write to me too!
Thanks,
B
BenHO
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Fissure - Any Asians esp from Singapore?

Postby suzyljank » 22 Feb 2013, 09:07

Hi and welcome. I'm not from your neck of the woods but maybe I can help. Are you taking any kind of stool softener. It's a must when you have an active fissure. It helps to keep the stool soft and easy to pass when diet alone isn't working. Many on this forum use miralax (movicol) or milk of magnesia. Magnesium supplements are good also. Drink lots of fluids too. Sitting in a warm bath or on a heating pad set on low is also helpful for the spasms you get after a bm.
Hope this helps. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Savaici » 22 Feb 2013, 19:46

Hi there BenHO,
Welcome to the forum!
As you asked if there was anyone from Singapore, I remembered dwarfs8, but she has not been in to the forum since September last year.
Hope that helps.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby BenHO » 22 Feb 2013, 20:12

Thanks for the updates!
Anyway my diet yesterday was as follows:
1. Bfast - Two slices of wholemeal bread with spread+Milo
2. Lunch - A cup of fresh Guava Juice
3. Dinner - Steamed egg with vegetables soup
Post dinner, I had a dragon fruit, prune juice, teaspoon of molasses and two senokot tablets (light laxative). This morning BM with quite smooth and didnt had to strain too much (beyond the initial push). However there was still some blood...btw, anyone of you out there had increased flatulence...realised that is quite common...
BenHO
Fibre Addict

Postby BenHO » 22 Feb 2013, 20:13

Thanks Savici...most likely she has recovered from anal fissure...which is always good news!
BenHO
Fibre Addict