Post Fissure irritation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Post Fissure irritation

Postby dan2012 » 22 Nov 2012, 17:01

Hello all,
You can find my story in my old posts - in this case a happy one!, but to summarize:
had fissure 10 years ago, had a recurrence 6 months ago which sent me to 3 months of pain and agony. Healed with conservative treatment (isosorbide dinitrate, a medicine from the nifedipine/diltiazem family), was back to 100% normal, then bleeding was back but with moderate to little pain.
I posted a few weeks ago about my setback of blood and some pain, and back then the CRS and I thought it was likely internal hemorrhoids along with levator ani syndrome. Well, to make the story short, I got well enough for a full anoscopy without anesthesia and she did it (it didn't hurt at all actually)... the result?
*Nothing*
Fully Healed fissure, and just small internal hemorrhoids. She didn't want to do anything to the hemorrhoids because they were too small to bother - actually she said "we could band the entire state since nobody is completely free of hemorrhoid problems, so it's not worth it unless it's bad"
She did see that my skin was "raw" and "bloody" and basically said that my problem was relatively simple - severe irritation from using the vasodilators for too long, since I kept using it for several weeks after my fissure was healed. She said that moisture and the medicine itself can make the skin irritated and very prone to bleeding, and that was the case with me, since effectively I had been using vasodilators on the area for almost 5 months non stop.
I stopped everything with the exception of a tiny cotton ball to remove moisture from the area, and the irritation got much better - it's not gone for good (although last week was blood, itch, burning and pain free), since I still feel the occasional burning post BM, and the area can get tender and a bit swollen, but it seems to be on the right track for healing.
Anyone experienced this? She didn't give me a time frame for healing but she said it WOULD heal. I read online that this kind of irritation can actually take quite a few weeks to completely go away, but I'd be curious to hear if anything went through this after the fissure was healed.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: Post Fissure irritation

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 15 Feb 2013, 15:53

Dan 2012 I don't know if you are still on here but I am kind of going through what you did. I had lis surgery four months ago. I am still having this raw, irritation, burning and soreness feel on my fissure site and anus. I went to a new CRS two days ago thinking I still have my fissure. She said she did not see a fissure or even my incision site. All she said is that it looked red and inflamed. She said that I would have to go to gastro doctor since she does not deal with that. So helpful right! I have spent so much money with dealing with this fissure and wondering if another dr is going to do anything. I was using coconut oil but that didn't help. I just started using bag balm a few days ago it helps just a bit. It really bothers me when I sit or walk a long time. I do have some leakage which can irritate the skin. I still wear gauze too. Also I get a little bleeding in stool and for no reason a few weeks ago after a walk my butt was bleeding. Does this sound what you have gone thru. Are you still having problems?
Deleted User 1775

Postby coconut » 15 Feb 2013, 18:09

This happened to me because my skin got irritated by the stuff I was putting down there to help with the fissure. My skin doesn't respond well to being wet and a lot of the OTC stuff I was using was in a gel that is wet.
The gastro doc prescribed clotrimazole and betamethasone cream, which is a anti-fungal and a steriod mixed together. It cleared it up in a few days. Now I'm careful to clean up the out side of my anal area after putting cream on. I also use petroleum cream or diaper rash cream on my bum to keep the skin healthy. It works. Its only a little red down there, an I am still using fissure creams.
For a while, I was also using the blow dryer on my bum any time it got wet. It was a sight, I'm sure. lol
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby owmybum » 16 Feb 2013, 03:13

coconut wrote:For a while, I was also using the blow dryer on my bum any time it got wet. It was a sight, I'm sure. lol

Ha... I do that too.... Not very ladylike at all! Image
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sgtsparky » 23 Feb 2013, 23:42

Hey I just discovered this place and am having the same issue. I had LIS about 2 years ago but the rawness and irritation never went away, leaving sore bowel movements and uncomfortable rawness all day. I went to the Dr again and he told me a about 2 creams. Its been about 3 days and it seems they've worked wonders.
I suggest cleaning the area with Balneol on some tp, followed by applying Calmoseptine to keep the skin protected. Both of these can be found at walgreens/cvs, but I bought in bulk on Amazon.
These 2 creams have worked well so far and have kept the sore skin from adding more moisture to the area. I've even gone a couple days without needing anything tucked! Give it a shot
sgtsparky
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2