Please tell me this will someday stop:(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Please tell me this will someday stop:(

Postby aimonaali » 21 Feb 2013, 09:43

It's been a little over three months since I had LIS done. At first everything seemed fine, the fissure healed quickly. For the last month I've been experiencing leakage of stool after BM. I'm not sure but I think it's getting worse. And my ass still hurts from the surgery!:(
This is really bringing me down and affecting my quality of life. I don't really even go out on the weekends anymore because this is making me feel depressed. Is there any hope for me to get better? I'm only 28 and if my ass is leaking now I don't even dare to imagine how it is when I'm fifty. I'm going to see my doctor again next week. Somebody just please tell me this will get better?:/
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Please tell me this will someday stop:(

Postby jr2 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:11

aimonaali.
I'm so sorry to hear you are having these problems several months after your surgery. It's really too soon to start thinking this will be a permanent problem though. Keep in mind that the sphincter is at its weakest point during the initial days, weeks, and months after surgery. That is what helps the fissure to heal. As more time goes on, however, the muscle begins to regain strength again. At the one-year mark after LIS, the sphincter tone is usually back up to approximately 80% of where it was prior to surgery. You also have age on your side. Because you are in your 20s, your healing capabilities are even better.
It's really hard when you're in the middle of the deepest struggle to hold on to the idea that this too is going to pass, but it's important to mentally keep reminding yourself that more than likely this isn't going to be permanent. If, however, the problem was to continue on, there may also be treatment options available to you down the line that could help you, so even in the absolute worst case scenario, there is no reason to lose hope that this is it.
Has your surgeon had any advice or input on this?
jr2

Postby aimonaali » 21 Feb 2013, 11:44

Thank you for your answer. Do you know if the muscle keeps getting stronger even after that one year mark? Do you or anyone else happen to know if there are surgeries to fix the possible damage from the previous surgery?:/ Also is it "normal" that the leakage seems to have started about two months after the surgery and not right away..?
I haven't talked to my surgeon yet. I have an appointmen to see him next tuesday. I will let you guys know what he has to say.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 21 Feb 2013, 12:40

The research pretty much only looked at a one-year followup. I don't think it's beyond reason to speculate that the longer out you get from the surgery the stronger the muscle is going to get though.
As far as the delay you mention, tough to really speculate on that. It will be interesting to hear what your surgeon says and what his suggestions are. You'll want to know if the area looks okay on visual exam and looks like it has healed well and there isn't something obvious going on to explain the leakage.
If all looks good, after some amount of time has passed, there are some options to consider that probably begin with things like anal ultrasound and possibly a manometry test to determine sphincter tone. Physical therapy can do some amazing things for these kinds of problems. There are always all kinds of new things coming out using all kinds of different treatments, and yes, there are surgeries if it comes to that.
But it could all turn out to be something really simple, and it could just be a matter of waiting it out longer. It could also be worth getting a second opinion from another surgeon. Combining knowledge and exerience is always worthwhile.
please do keep us updated!
jr2

Postby aimonaali » 21 Feb 2013, 13:05

I really hope my surgeon has something positive to say... Well I guess the fissure has healed so that's positive. Just not sure if it's worth this new symptom.
I'm not sure what to make of the fact that the incision site in my butt is still hurting. Maybe when the incision wound finally heals the leakage problem will resolve too. Maybe not:/
Anyway thank you so much for your answers so far jr2. I hope others will share their knowledge too. I'm going to give an update next week when I see my surgeon.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 21 Feb 2013, 14:06

Aw I'm sorry to read this aimonaali. I can't offer much advice really as I have only had botox and fissurotomy, my CRS didn't advise me to have the LIS. I had an appointment today and they are doing an MRI as I seem to have different pain now, and I am fissure free apparantly! I am 29, and this has been going since I was 27 so I know how you feel. Don't give up, keep asking the questions and pushing for answers. Get other opinions! I went to a different GP in the surgery, he recommended this guy who I went to privately (who appears to have sorted my initial problem) and because he knows him personally my GP has got me in to see his clinic within 5 weeks on the NHS. Don't give up, you just need to find the right person to help. I know how down it can get you, I had counselling to help me through all my health problems and I have come out the other side much stronger emotionally. Luckily what I'm dealing with is less painful than before. There will be an end to it all and you WILL get better. I will keep checking here to see how you get on :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby aimonaali » 22 Feb 2013, 10:57

Thanks for the encouraging words Sue.
I was wondering... If there is leakage three months after LIS does that mean that something went wrong in the operation itself? I'm horrified about the thought that my surgeon might have cut too deep or something like that. Or is leakage just something that sometimes happen to some patiens without any apparent reason?
The surgeon said he has made over 200 LIS surgeries and he has over 30 years of experience but you never know...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 22 Feb 2013, 15:56

I will be honest, after my fissurotomy I had some leakage which worried me. I still get some if I have an upset stomach but it is only a few days a month if that. Mostly ok with me (as I was told a fissurotomy is a semi-cut like LIS). I would guess that something hasn't gone wrong as such, it may just be a side effect which improves with time. I think some have had some leakage for a while until things settled down. I'm sorry I can't tell you anymore! Hopefully someone else will have some more advice, try not to worry and wait to see what the surgeon says. It's easy to worry yourself when it may just be temporary Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby aimonaali » 26 Feb 2013, 12:10

So I just came back from meeting my surgeon and I must say I don't feel good at all. Firstable he explained that the leakage is just something that can happen after the surgery. The reason was that because they removed scar tissue from the fissure site the anal is a little "disformed" and can leak. It was devastating to hear that the problem isn't probably going to go away.
And to top it all when he examined me he was kinda rough and managed to get the fissure bleeding again even though it's been closed for three months :( I really feel like poop now. I afraid the fissure will now open up again even though he said that's very unlikely and the minor tear he had caused will probably heal soon. Also I got some diltiazem and white vaseline to use.
He said the fissure site will never be the same and I will probably sometimes have issues with it for the rest of my life.
If anyone has anything encouraging to say it would be much appreciated...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 26 Feb 2013, 12:47

Just remember, in fissure world it's still early days... Things can turn around, and more often than not they do!
Try to stay positive... Start with the diltiazem .. Continue with the stool softeners, sitz baths, pain relief if needed, and rest as much as you can.
Please don't loose hope... And don't take the words of that crs as gospel... Everyone heals at a different rate!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !