Anioplasty Flap

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Anioplasty Flap

Postby Cueball3335 » 02 Mar 2013, 11:36

To start I have had on and off anal fissure problems since March 2012 probably before then too. I was told by a general surgeon that it was healed but still had dull ache pain. I have been on dilatezem since the beginning if January and it hasn't helped much.
My CRS has suggested I have an anioplasty flap instead of LIS. I was surprised because I thought LIS was the first line of surgical defense. In doing a little reading it appears LIS has shorter healing times with high success rates vs anioplasty which had 12% or so failure rates. The main advantage of anioplasty is no incontinence risk, but it is not recommended for people with high pressure down there which is what I think my problem is. I don't suffer from hard stools and my stools are very controlled once a day no tearing no blood. This is why I don't understand how I haven't made any progress in healing. Although I have had no tears or hard stools all soft and easy I still have gotten worse in the pain department. I take miralax now to guarantee super soft stools. Has anyone had a similar experience. I want to do LIS at this point but my CRS is bent on anioplasty. I need toget back to work ASAP because I am new and haven't really used any sick leave and don't want to raise any flags. I also am in grad school while working full time so the recovery time has to be as short as possible. Thank you for any information provided.
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Anioplasty Flap

Postby Cueball3335 » 02 Mar 2013, 11:42

By the way I have a sentinel pile which I believe indicates a chronic fissure
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict

Postby Tash » 02 Mar 2013, 12:14

Hi sorry to hear about what you have been going through. I had a chronic fissure for a year and just had the LIS done on Wednesday. I got 3 options from different drs before I did the surgery. So that is something you might want to think about doing before you decide. My dr was very cautious and had me try creams then I tried botox before I ended up having the surgery. I wish you the best.
Tash
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Cueball3335 » 02 Mar 2013, 12:27

Thanks Tash, I have had two opinions on it. One is a general surgeon who specializes in colorectal and he wanted to do lis. I opted to see a colorectal surgeon who is board certified after reading up on this forum. Unfortunately Albuquerque has limited options as far as colorectal surgeons so iam kinda stuck right now with the two opinions I have. The guy iam seeing now is board certified and I believe he might do the LIS If I insist. I need to find out because I have a window in May when I get a break from school so I think I will call on Monday.
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict

Postby Tash » 02 Mar 2013, 12:37

I would defiantly call on Monday and see. My CRS Dr said everyone heals from LIS at a different pace but I have a follow up in 4 weeks and he said I should be better by than. That's what I'm praying for. I know it take about a year to completely heal. It seems like everyone I have talked to on the forum that had the LIS is glad they did it. So I hope your Dr will do it for you and you will be back to normal quickly. Keep me posted on what you find out.
Tash
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Cueball3335 » 02 Mar 2013, 13:48

Ok I will thanks again.
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 02 Mar 2013, 17:11

Cueball3335 I wonder if your doctor went inside the anal area to check the fissure more in-deep.
Sometimes the outside look healed but the inside can extend farther than the doctor think because you can no see in there from the outside, sometimes it is inside where the bigger problem is located.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Cueball3335 » 03 Mar 2013, 04:04

He used something I am assuming a scope, but I could not see what he was doing he said there was scare tissue
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 03 Mar 2013, 14:09

Cueball3335 perhaps calling the doctor to know what procedure he did to diagnose you with fissure is better before making your decision for the procedure he wants to do.
Also it doesn hurt getting a second opinion just in case if it don't feel right with you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Cueball3335 » 06 Mar 2013, 10:09

Right, I guess they are really busy so I scheduled my next appointment for April 3rd. Thank you for the reply.
Cueball3335
Fibre Addict