abcesses

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

abcesses

Postby val » 30 Nov 2007, 02:07

Has anyone had an abcess that bled? And did it heal up with antibiotics? Is it like a one-off kinda thing or once you've had one do they re-occur? Image
:bigbart:
I'm even more freaked about this thing than the fissure!
Thanks, Val
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: abcesses

Postby buttgirl » 30 Nov 2007, 10:52

My abscess bled. Actually it oozed "sanguinous fluid." I was on super duper antibiotics for a month and a half before the surgery. Those did not clear up the abcess--they did make me hallucinate though.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby val » 30 Nov 2007, 11:05

Wow! Did you have to have surgery to get rid of the abcess? Did yours turn to a fistula?
I'm so freaked out about all this, its like when I first got the fissure, because I didn't understand about it all, it was scary, but talking to everyone on here and knowing what to expect helped so much. I don't know anything about abcesses or fistulas, except this thing really HURTS!!
val
King Fissure

Postby buttgirl » 30 Nov 2007, 11:10

The abscess remained an abscess for me. I had to have it surgically drained and that is what I have been recovering from for the past 9+ mos. My dr cut the length of the anal canal down to the muscle. It cured the abscess, but left me with an horrible fissure. The time to heal the initial wound was about 5 mos, but everything is still inflamed and tender and scar bothers me. I also have a bit of a keyhole deformity. The surgery also gave me a hemmie, which turned fissure in June. That is in the process of healing--some days it feels better, some days it stings.
I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. feel free to ask me questions, here or PM.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby val » 30 Nov 2007, 11:20

Thank you- though mine is nothing compared to what you've been through! Was yours a fistula or an abcess? Or are they the same thing? Was the surgery really dreadful, and how long did you have it before the surgery?
My doctor said the skin tag was inflamed too, so I don't know if thats got an abcess too, I dont really understand about this!
thanks for taking the trouble of answering!
Val
val
King Fissure

Postby buttgirl » 30 Nov 2007, 12:30

Mine was an abscess. It didn't tunnel enaywhere, just stayed between the skin and the muscle and grew. Fistulas are like abscesses, excpet they burrow into the muscle and fat in the area and create tracks until they find a place to exit. then there is an abnomral tunnel between the anal canal or the recturm and another part of the body.
It was about 2 mos before the Drs. operated. though I think the abscess had been grwoing for a year. I told my Drs. it felty like I had an infection, but they wouldn't believe me. I recommend getting it operated on as soon as possible. The smaller the abscess, the smaller and less deep the incision.
The surgery was simple. the pre took about an hour, the surgery about 15 min and re post-op 4 hours. they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I could pee. I had a spinal block and a lot of numbing shots, so it took me longer than normal.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby val » 30 Nov 2007, 13:04

Sorry to be so stupid! but does EVERY abcess have to be operated on, or can they just clear up?
Are you still on the AF diet and supplements etc?
That doctor told me not to put any creams on it, but wouldn't something like an antiseptic cream such as bettadine be useful, or is she right?I got prescribed lidocaine but she said not to use it until the infection had gone- I need it NOW!!! Going to the loo is just so AWFUL!! It needs numbing!
val
King Fissure

Postby buttgirl » 30 Nov 2007, 13:36

I know what you mean! The hot soaks really do help. So does ice.
I'm not sure if every abscess needs to be operated on or not. Many do because there is a risk of septicimia and a risk that the abscess won't clear up on its own.
I have been on the AF diet for about 2 years now, since I got the initial fissure--I really wish I would have known to give myself an enema rather than just push with all my might. Ah well! I know for the future.
I would treat the abscess there like an abscess anywhere else on the body.
--I put hot compresses on mine, which seemed to help. I boiled water and mixed that with cold water in a basin until it was a bearable temp. Then I put the washcloth on my bum. When the cloth cooled, I redipped it in the basin. I did this for about 15 min at a time 3X a day.
--You could try betaine. It might help; I dont' know for sure though.
--A dab of neosporin couldn't hurt.
--I'm not sure why she said no lidocaine as there are often anagesics in disinfectants. Any one else know?
--i took pain killers, specifically ibuprofen. This seemed to take the edge off.
--I sat on a heating pad and slept with one under my butt. this also seemed to help. some mornings I woke up and felt almost normal. ALMOST. That is, until I pooed and started the whole cycle over again.
--get some really good rest. This is an infection and your body needs to do all it can to fight the infection off. think of it as a localized cold, and behave as you would when you're sick.
Hope this helps.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2007, 13:58

I know that on the package on my lidocaine it says not to apply on open or broken skin. Maybe too much would be absorbed? I know if probably would try a dab just to see. I can't imagine that it worsen the infection.

I wonder if taking some immune boosters like oregano oil, vitamin c and zinc would help. After I had hemorrhoid surgery I took the oregano oil to help prevent infection. They usually have this in a tincture with a dropper that you can put in water or just put a few drops in your mouth.

I am sorry you are having a rough time. Although I haven't had an abcess, Lord knows that I have had all sorts of other rectal problems. Some even scared the CRS when she saw it. Take the ibuprofen regularly. Don't wait until you are screaming in pain.

Hugs!

Postby val » 30 Nov 2007, 15:37

Thanks BG and Lecia, its so nice to have someone to talk to that knows what you're going through, although I didn't mean its nice for you to have the problems, I wish you both well again, and pray that we can all be better soon. I just mean no-one else seems to understand the total misery and the control this thing has in taking over your life.
I have problems with infections and healing anyway-my dentist is terrified of doing any work on me because it always gets infected and I've had dry socket three times now, an infection in the bone after a tooth extraction. That took over 4 months of antibiotics to clear up!
I'm so sorry for all your problems. I think we all need new butts on our Christmas wish list!
val
King Fissure