6 mos. postpartum and bleeding more every week

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

6 mos. postpartum and bleeding more every week

Postby IsabelBroken » 11 Mar 2013, 19:59

Had a BIG baby and blew out both exit routes. :oops:
My OBGYN has been trying to patch up the other problem, and she just gave me an Rx for Anusol suppositories and suggested I go next door to the colorectal surgeon. I've been bleeding rectally off and on since delivery, steadily getting worse, and now I'm bleeding when all I'm doing is sitting down to urinate. Three months ago was the worst pain, but much less blood. Now it's not very painful at all, but it looks like Carrie is camping out in my toilet bowl.
Is this anybody else's story? Any theories OTHER than anal fissure? I haven't been diagnosed yet. Been doing fiber and staying super-hydrated. Using Prep H wipes. Etc, etc.
IsabelBroken

Topics: 1

Re: 6 mos. postpartum and bleeding more every week

Postby coconut » 12 Mar 2013, 13:16

I have never had a baby. But I can say this, the standard care for anal fissure is to not use steriods or hemmroid creams. Both of these will make your fissure worse. So the anusol and the prep H wipes would make a fissure worse. Moist wipes are recommended. You can use the same one you use for your baby!
If you want to use a suppository, my doctor recommended Calmol4,, which is very soothing. Some people here use coconut oil suppositories which they make themselves. I've done that and it also very nice.
Anal fissure is a common diagnosis after child birth. I can't say whether its what's going on with you.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby marg6043 » 12 Mar 2013, 13:58

IsabelBroken, hi there, sorry to hear that you have problems after having your littler one, but hey they are worth it.
Now, if after 6 months postpartum you are still bleeding rectally, is better if you get a CRS to make sure that everything is ok and to get the proper diagnostic for the bleeding problem, be a fissure or hem.
I guess your baby doctor seems to think that is just a hem problem, but like coconut said if is a fissure hem creams will not help you heal.
I hope everything goes well and you don't have to worry so much, that takes away from enjoying your bundle of joy.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby coconut » 13 Mar 2013, 07:23

It may be comforting to know that most CRS's don't seem to recommend surgery right away. Most of them start with the creams and with diet regimens. So don't think that a visit to a CRS is an automatic surgery. Its a doctor who knows how to treat fissures, unlike most doctors, who are clueless. if I had a million dollars laying around, I would start a campaign to get doctors educated. Its really disgraceful, considering how common this stuff is.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby delasama » 13 Mar 2013, 10:37

That is so true coconut! My doctor didn't even recommend a softener like miralax. He said fiber and water and that's is probably JUST a little fissure lol. Then he referred me to a gi doc that is booked for next six months! Called a crs and he saw the sentenial tag at 6 o'clock position and gave me a list of foods to eat and said to take miralax morning and night. It's been over a month on miralax and soft foods and my fissure feels a lot better. Definitely not healed, but I don't think about jumping off a bridge when I have a bm anymore. I spent hundreds on doctor and crs visit and all I got out of it was to use miralax lol.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby IsabelBroken » 13 Mar 2013, 20:32

Thanks! I'll set up an appointment with the CRS.
IsabelBroken

Topics: 1