Two CRS said fissure is healed but why the burn?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Two CRS said fissure is healed but why the burn?

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 20 Mar 2013, 14:46

Ok anyone one have answers? I had my lis surgery in October of 2012 and still have the burn mostly after going to the bathroom all day. The only time I don't feel anything is when I lay down or sleep. but two CRS said the fissure is healed. I do have a small amount of leakage enough that I have to wipe a few times a day. Could that cause the burn/soreness all day? My surgeon said he could put me under and take a better look and he could put this injection to stop the leakage but I don't want that. I asked him about nerves and he didn't really have a answer for me. He was a little puzzled. Any one have any answers or been through this please let me know.
Deleted User 1775

Re: Two CRS said fissure is healed but why the burn?

Postby suzyljank » 20 Mar 2013, 16:05

Hi, if you have minor leakage it could be irritating the skin. Have you tried using coconut oil. I've been suffering for almost 5 years now and I also had lis. I never tried the coconut oil until this year. I tried calmoseptine because I've heard good things about it but I didn't like it, I tried A&D ointment and vaseline but it's hard to clean it off the skin so after the first of the year I decided what the heck, I bought some coconut oil and within a week I noticed a difference. I don't know why, maybe it's because it's natural and not a chemical. I love it. I use it after a shower and before I go to bed but if I've had a lot of bms in one day I'll use it more. Hope you figure out what's causing the burning and can get back to just living life. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby sgtsparky » 20 Mar 2013, 20:45

Yup same story with a few of us here. I just discovered Balneol works great for cleaning without irritating and Calmoseptine to keep it cool and from irritating. Also cut the coffee if you drink it
sgtsparky
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 06:58

jdchurch Sorry to hear that you still have some irritation, but I will add to the list, desitin (baby rash cream), it will protect the skin from the leakage, now be careful and only wipe with baby wipes also.
Paper can be also irritating if you are still sensitive in your bum.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby becsbum » 21 Mar 2013, 07:55

Jdchurch - so did you see both the crs and the gi already? I think you said you were going this week. Weird that the crs didn't know anything about nerve pain. Well I guess mine didn't know much about it either - just that it was a possibility and that I should try seeing a physical therapist as my next step.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby becsbum » 21 Mar 2013, 20:09

I had a thought for you. My crs said sometimes if the nerves are busy feeling something else, they can't feel the pain. I have found a heating pad to be very soothing - I realized I can drive with no pain if I sit on a heating pad! I am going to try to do this more often in the hopes of re-training my nerves, as I do believe that is the problem in my case. I also sometimes use an ice pack to just numb it up entirely, as that gives me a nice break.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 25 Mar 2013, 16:21

Thanks everyone for your input. My skin gets so irritated no matter what I do. I have been trying the balneol it helps but still get the irritation. Becsbum I am going to pm you with some questions.
Sgtsparky: is your fissure healed and for how long and you said you get irritation? Is it after a movement and the rest of the day? Walking a lot and sitting make it worse. Does this sound like you?
Marg: did you have lis and when? Do you still have irritation? Your fissure healed?
Deleted User 1775

Postby Alyssa » 31 Aug 2014, 10:55

My fissure is healed but I still have hot burning pain (all around the anus) Everyday while going to the bathroom (pain varies) and then it starts up again when I've been sitting for longer than 30mins to an hour. Does anyone have any updates on how you got on and what if any you tried to relieve these symptoms?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby suzyljank » 03 Sep 2014, 20:33

I saw the doctor today and asked about the burning and soreness I get from time to time after double flap surgery. She said it's hyper skin sensitivity and is quite common especially when there a lot of nerve ending involved. This can last for quite a long time after surgery. It's an individual thing. It should gradually get better but like she said each person is different and it's not uncommon for skin to remain sensitive for a long time. This can include burning, and general soreness especially after too many bms, or irritation from diarrhea or from chemicals such as soap or lotion. It's not advisable to rub the tender skin too much either. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Alyssa » 03 Sep 2014, 22:11

Suzy,

How long ago did you have the surgery? How many times a month would you say that you get this burn?

I have the burn, ache pain all day everyday ... Some days the pain is tolerable other days its not... This is not normal... When I have a bm, I feel as though I am pooping a hot coal out (pain scale 5/6) of my bum. Once it's out seconds later the pain decreases to a 3 (dull pain)...
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26