Prunes

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Prunes

Postby Luka » 23 Mar 2013, 15:13

I've been trying to eat prunes lately (which I actually really like!) to promote softer bowel movements, but I can only eat one at a time. If I eat more than one (even just two), I seem to get bad cramps later in the day. No diarrhea or anything like that, but just bad cramps. Is this normal? Do I just need to adjust to eating them?
If you eat prunes, how many do you usually eat and at what time in the day? Do they help you?
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Prunes

Postby Jackmaniac » 23 Mar 2013, 16:17

I eat a few around the time that I go to bed, but only 2 or 3. They dried kind. I'd eat so many of them if it weren't for the possible consequences later.
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 23 Mar 2013, 18:20

Yes, this can happen to many people. The reason prunes have a laxative effect is because they are high in sugar alcohol, which is indigestible and will cause GI irritation and diarrhea in anyone depending on the amount ingested (and abdominal pain in many of those). Some people are just more sensitive than others. Continuing on from the other thread, just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it isn't without the potential for adverse effects.
Last edited by jr2 on 25 Mar 2013, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Luka » 24 Mar 2013, 00:14

Thanks guys. Yeah, jr2, I'm sure it's the sugar alcohol that gives me the cramps. It's too bad, too, since I'm really starting to enjoy prunes. : ( Guess I'll stick to one at a time for now. I don't think I will even touch prune juice, since I think that's more potent than regular prunes.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements