Milk of Magnesia AND Miralax AND Mineroil Oil?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Milk of Magnesia AND Miralax AND Mineroil Oil?

Postby Anonymon » 26 Mar 2013, 11:57

First, I just want to say this is my current favorite site. My doctor almost killed me with misguided or limited advice which made all of this worse!
TLDR; can I take a full dose (4 tbsp) of MoM at night and Miralax throughout the day safely? And can I add mineral oil to that safely?
I'm very athletic and earn a side living on it, so my problems that caused my fissure(s) were actually from eating too much fiber and being on a low fat diet cycle that made it all rock-hard and overly frequent. At first, it was just pain during BM and blood, which I can handle. But soon after following my doctors' advice against my better judgement by eating more fiber and taking a Docusate stool softener, I had rock hard and large poops that literally tore my anus wide open Image. That was my first experience of the dreaded spasms that can make this a temporary disability, and took me out for hours in agony. Then I had another BM soon after and it took the whole day.
Condensing weeks of agony and not even being able to work—since lowering my fiber (to more reasonable levels) and upping my fat while eating less protein, it did help, but not enough. From there, I discovered Milk of Magnesia. A little helped immediately, and the full dose last night made everything slide out in a watery fashion that for the first time in more than a month that didn't feel like it reopened the fissure! The spasms after we're comparatively minor, and it's the best morning I've had in a while.
My issue now, however, is that I most always double poop. Once in the morning, then again after exercising and my first major meal. What comes out then is not the watery dream of the morning, but larger soft things that aren't as bad as they were, but still a setback. It seems like the MoM only works on what's presently in the colon, and whatever gets shot there after a meal isn't similarly watered down.
Since Miralax takes a while to work its way in, I take it that it hits the food more in transit. MoM, for me at least, seems to hit the food in the colon. I'm wondering - would it be safe to take MoM at night at full dose as I have had recent success with, and Miralax throughout the day to get what is shot into there throughout the day? I can't space the MoM dose because anything less than the full amount seems not to be enough for me, and I worry what would happen if I took more than that in 24 hours.
Additionally, would lubing all that up with mineral oil on top of that help? Or hinder the poop's ability to absorb the water from the MoM as I've read can happen with Mineral Oil?
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: Milk of Magnesia AND Miralax AND Mineroil Oil?

Postby Jackmaniac » 26 Mar 2013, 13:25

I think I'd skip the mineral oil. I know you can't take it with docusate sodium which works sort of in the same way as miralax. You could try some suppository things just to lube up your rectum ?
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Anonymon » 26 Mar 2013, 13:35

Jackmaniac wrote:I think I'd skip the mineral oil. I know you can't take it with docusate sodium which works sort of in the same way as miralax. You could try some suppository things just to lube up your rectum ?

Would mineral oil be safe for that?
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby Jackmaniac » 26 Mar 2013, 13:47

Apparently you can use it as an enema, but then it sounds like it works like a stimulant laxative. Might not want that effect.
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 26 Mar 2013, 15:56

I'd skip the mineral oil too. If you want to supplement with oil, coconut oil or flax oil or even olive oil would be a good choice.
For lubrication of the anal area, a lot of people here use Vaseline or coconut oil or olive oil or cocoa butter suppositories. You just have to experiment with what works best for you.
But yeah, you don't want to take both docusate sodium with mineral oil. The docusate sodium may cause you to absorb the mineral oil, which can have detrimental effects on your health.
jr2

Topics: 15