Does anyone have a deep fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Does anyone have a deep fissure?

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2007, 12:36

Mine is apparently into the muscle. I am contemplating the fissurectomy that my Dr. is pushing for, but I am still very scared about it, with all of the "side effects" it has. I am trying to learn about Happy's macrobiotic ways of healing, but it's going slow for me.
My question: If you have had an anal fissure that was so deep it was into the muscle, do you know if it was capable of healing on it's own using the creams given you and dietary changes? I so want to avoid the surgery. I'm only 41 years old, and I don't look forward to releasing gas involuntarily in front of others, or being incontinent.
The pain is excruciating. I use ice packs almost every moment of every day, and I use the normally prescribed creams. Please share with me what has happened to you if you've had a deep cut like mine; it is so appreciated.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart,
NW

Re: Does anyone have a deep fissure?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 05 Dec 2007, 13:43

The fear of losing gas control and incontinence is a strong one, especially the incontinence. But this is so rare, I think it is just .001 % of the cases.
My pain was not as severe as yours, it was generally over with in a few hours each day and I could only stand it seven months before I took the "chance."
I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have my life back.
Now, there have been two or three times when a little gas peeped out unexpectedly, but that can happen to anyone. Is that worse than constant pain? No, there is simply no comparison.
I have been on this board for a year and have yet to have anyone say they became incontinent from the LIS. I think the fissurectomy would have even less a risk.
I am not trying to talk you into having the surgery, not by any means, but I do want you to consider you pain vs. the very low risks of serious surgical side-effect.
I would also consider getting a second opinion on the fissurectomy (as opposed to LIS) as the fissurectomy alone does not have a good track record.
From what I have read, anyway...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2007, 15:29

Kim, thank you so much. You are a wealth of knowledge and help.
I am going to the Dr. this Friday, and I'm going to ask her about the differences between the two -- fissurectomy and LIS. I also have a fallen bladder which needs surgery, so maybe I'll ask if it's a good idea for me to go ahead and have that taken care of at the same time.
You've made me feel much more comfortable about the risks, and you are so right -- I want my life back! Right now, I don't have one.

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2007, 15:45

Oh, another thing. Someone asked me to paste a portion of the site of my physician's website regarding her fissurectomy procedure in order to tell if that is what she is doing or if she is indeed doing an LIS. Here's part:
"What does surgery involve?
Surgery usual consists of a small operation to cut a portion of the internal anal sphincter muscle. This helps the fissure to heal by decreasing pain and spasm. Cutting this muscle rarely interferes with the ability to control bowel movements and can usually be performed without an overnight hospital stay.
How long does the healing process take after surgery?
Complete healing occurs in a few weeks, although pain often disappears after a few days.
Will the problem return?
More than 90% of patients who require surgery for this problem have no further trouble from fissures. If the problem returns without an obvious cause, the person may need further assessment including anal manometry testing or an exam under anesthesia. "
There it is! So, I have no idea.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 05 Dec 2007, 17:11

Surgery usual consists of a small operation to cut a portion of the internal anal sphincter muscle. This helps the fissure to heal by decreasing pain and spasm. Cutting this muscle rarely interferes with the ability to control bowel movements and can usually be performed without an overnight hospital stay.

Did you say this comes from your Doctor's website? It is a description of an LIS procedure, the cutting of the sphincter to relieve the spasms. On the other hand, a fissurectomy (notice the -ectomy suffix!) involves "cutting to remove the actual fissure itself."
Notice, with the fissurectomy they would be cutting to remove a cut...a bit of an oxymoron...though it is not as straight forward as that
It sounds like your physician is actually refering to the LIS, which is the more successful oif the two.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Dec 2007, 17:24

I wish I had my LIS as soon as I got my fissure. Three months of pain and stress caused my body to completely go out of balance - now my fissure is probably gone - but my Fibro is back and will have to fight this for years to come : (((.
I would rather be "tooting" in the middle of the Opera House than having to live with this now...
Best of luck !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 05 Dec 2007, 21:57

normalcy - if fear of being incontinent to gas is your only concern with having surgery i just want to say that from my own experience, there is nothing to be worried about. i've had 2 LIS surgeries in 9 months and i have NO incontinence to anything. and i'm ONLY 25.
i believe i must have had a deep fissure as well since the first surgery didn't help anything. now, 9 weeks after my 2nd surgery i'm finally feeling a huge difference. i had my fissure for 8 months before i saw someone who correctly diagnosed me, so that might have contributed to the severity of mine. i know there is no way i could have begun healing without surgery.
make sure you talk to your dr and find out exactly what the procedure would be. in most cases, LIS (sphincterotomy) can give you your life back. either way, healing takes patience. good luck and keep us posted!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36