Spasms?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Spasms?

Postby just John » 24 Mar 2013, 20:10

Ok, new here and kinda emberassed. A few months ago, I started having burning pain just inside rectum, mostly isolated at a specific area. I have never had hemorrhoids, so I assumed thats what it was. Every OTC medication was not helping, so I went to see my practitioner.
My pain felt like a combination of constantly sitting on a hot poker and being sliced opened with a knife. It was the worst thing ever. I was getting concerned that I may have a fissure. She examined me, able to feel the exact lump/spot, but was concerned because there was obvious blood and wanted me to follow-up with GI doc. Rx for Proctofoam and I was on my way.
Forked out the $80 for the foam because I was in so much pain. No help at all. managed to get into see GI doc who examined me digitally. Told me he didn't think it was a hemorrhoid or fissure. Thought a 'tightened muscle spasm' but wanted to do a colonoscopy and an MRI to r/o an abcess. Gave me Rx for nitro ointment and 2.5% lidocaine Long story short, colonoscopy showed "mild proctitis". Nitro ointment seems to help. Worse pain when I am standing. Feels better to move around. Sometimes the wrong chair will cause pain, sometimes it helps. Most mornings I wake up feeling good. Then after BM, it's on. Burn city. Image Don't know what to do. I am miserable, my wife is miserable, I've even missed a few days of work (initially) because of the pain. When I stand still, its the worst and I feel the lump inside feel like it gets 'heavier' and like it wants to fall out of me or something and it does seem to respond to digital massage. Most things irritate it, but not the nitro. Of course that is compounded, so it is expensive for me. Any alternatives?
If I don't have the fissure, why do I still have blood-tinged stool with burning? How long can I expect this pain? Am I alone? I am fixing to vacation in NYC. Is this going to be the death of me? I'm 42, have had chronic back pain and other issues, but this is the worst. And nobody seems to understand....Anyway, thank you for any responses or advice or help or....
just John

Topics: 1

Re: Spasms?

Postby JHH » 25 Mar 2013, 02:49

Sounds a lot like what Im going through. Im sure you have a fissure.
Give the nitro time to work. For me it took 14 days to feel a difference. Even now after a month on nitro, I still get bad days, so have patience.
Another very important thing, is to keep the stools soft. Do some reading in here to see what others do.
Best of luck!
JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby 3 years now » 25 Mar 2013, 08:46

stars out as a fissure, you muscles down there start tightening - the body is trying to "protect itself". Once the tightening starts, the cycle begins, your are tight, you have a BM, puts stress on the tight muscles and the fissure - ouch - here we go.
So yes read the board, follow what others do - gotta watch what you eat, limit stress..coconut oil helped me a lot with the burning, give it a try.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby hendrick181 » 25 Mar 2013, 20:58

How do u take the coconut oil? It comes in a jar and it has the texture of candle wax. Do u heat it up to liquid form or just chew it?
hendrick181
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Rachael 1984 » 26 Mar 2013, 07:49

You can take it Hendrick, as it is. Or blend it into a smoothie maybe?! I take it straight from the jar on a spoon. Not too bad tasting.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby marg6043 » 26 Mar 2013, 08:43

hendrick181, the texture is terrible, I found out that warming the coconut until it turns into oil taste a lot better, much better, like roasted coconut flakes, depending what grade you buy.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby 3 years now » 27 Mar 2013, 09:02

after a bm, just spread the oil on your rear end, it melts quickly and does absorb into the skin somewhat, it is quite soothing down there, helps with burning.
Also you can take it internally, mix it with warm to hot water, it will melt, then add a bit of juice and just drink it down - easy.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 27 Mar 2013, 10:04

What you're describing could be a hemorrhoid or a fissure or both. But it's a little confusing as to why the colonoscopy didn't pick up either one. If you weren't having bleeding it could also be levator spasms, but the blood has to be coming from somewhere.
You definitely aren't alone. There are many many tips on this site to try out and experiment with from many people going through the same thing. So, you've landed in the right place to find others who know exactly how hard it is to live with anal pain, and sometimes how hard it can be to get a diagnosis nailed down.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sterlingbird » 27 Mar 2013, 19:37

I put coconut oil in my oatmeal or smoothie. I use it when I bake gluten free oatmeal cookies in place of butter but I just eat it by the spoon ful too.
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby hendrick181 » 27 Mar 2013, 22:59

Thanks for the tips guys. To just John, it sounds like a fissure to me... I went thru hell and probably halfway back and finally had a botox injection. Doc to me before it he didnt know the end result..... That the muscle all tightened up was causing the extreme pain, and colonoscopy and exams could find no fissure. then after i woke up after botox he told me he finally found the fissure... Was just too swollen to pick up on any exams or digital scans etc....i think a colonoscopy looks further inside to rule out any more dangerous problems...
hendrick181
Salt Bather

Topics: 2