May resort to fasting...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

May resort to fasting...

Postby Beautifun » 26 Mar 2013, 17:04

Hi, there!
I'm a 22 y/o woman, and I've been suffering with a recurring AF for about 2 years now, where my latest episode began about 2 months ago, and it's still in effect now. This is by far the worst experience I have had in my life, and I'm growing weary of my own mental state (feeling depressed, suicidal thoughts, breaking down at a whim) throughout all this. I've hardly been eating anything except soft-steamed vegetables, my health has been gradually declining, and the doctor ruled me out as anaemic (but couldn't prescribe me iron supplements since they constipate).
I can't say for sure why my fissure came back stronger, but I've been a vegetarian for a few years, and a vegan since Jan 1st (it was a resolution of mine). Maybe I haven't been getting enough protein?
Anyway, I bought an enema kit a while ago, and hopefully I'll be using it to make sure I have nothing lingering in there while I juice-fast. I'm sure fasting isn't the best way to deal with it, but I feel I'm well out of options. D:
Has anyone fasted before? Experiences? Love to hear what others have to say.
-Tana
Beautifun

Topics: 1

Re: May resort to fasting...

Postby Luka » 27 Mar 2013, 00:14

Hello Beautifun,
I can understand what you're going through. The pain from AFs certainly takes a major on your mental health. I've been very depressed and anxious since this all started for me in late December (Christmas Day, no less!) from a bout of loose, burning stools and a history of shy bowel syndrome (fear of using public restrooms). When the pain was the worst, I was also having suicidal thoughts. But I pulled through it somehow and eventually the pain eased.
I can understand not wanting to eat (I barely ate anything when the pain was the worst for me). I'm down to 98 pounds because I don't eat very much and everything I do it doesn't have many calories (veggies, fruits, fish, chicken). I've never been a big eater, but with this, it's even worse.
As for fasting, I don't have any experience with it, but I really wouldn't recommend it. You'll still have to poop, even on a liquid diet, as far as I know, and you really need all the nutrients you can get while your AF is healing. Also, you run the risk of getting constipated since you aren't getting any or much fiber. Maybe others can chime in with their experiences with fasting, but from what I've read on here and heard from others, it rarely results in full healing. The most important thing is to keep BMs soft, as well as easing the spasms.
Have you been to a CRS yet? If not, I highly recommend you do so. They can prescribe you ointment that relaxes the internal sphincter muscle so that your AF has a better chance of healing.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Beautifun » 29 Mar 2013, 17:11

Hi Luka,
it's been about three days since my fast, and I've been using the enema as needed. I'm a little nervous about breaking the fast too soon, but if I have to break it, I think I'd have to go with blended fruit.
I totally understand the constipated part - I remember going a few days without food once, and then eating an avocado. BIG MISTAKE.
CRS? Like a butt-doctor? If so, yes - I was recommended a steroid ointment (anusol) in the past, to which the doctor said, "take this, and your fissure will go in about a week."
It sounded too good to be true, and it -was-. It didn't do smack. Same with anujesic(spell?).
Luckily, I'm due for a sphincteroctomy on the 1st, which is in about 3 days from now. I'm not sure how it can ever help me (I feel like nothing can), but here goes. :S
Beautifun

Postby Luka » 29 Mar 2013, 18:18

Yes, a CRS is a colon and rectal surgeon. Usually you are prescribed creams that relax the muscle and increase blood flow first. Steroid ointments are worthless for fissures; it does nothing to help them heal, although it may relieve the pain a little bit. I'm honestly surprised you weren't prescribed Nitro or Diltiazem (these relax the internal sphincter muscle) as a first line of treatment before surgery since they do work in some people, but I'm not your doctor.
I really hope the sphincterectomy works for you and that you feel better very soon. It should relax the internal sphincter muscle, preventing the spasms that are preventing it from healing. Hang in there and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Juice fast worked for me

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2013, 08:20

"Please" keep up the fight, we are pulling for you. You can do this.
So during my recurring AF's over several years I fasted a lot with the juices. I would use the protein powders for my healing.
The juice fasts were the best way for me not to re-tear, as I would stay on it for days at a time with no ill affect.
HTH........stay strong
Last edited by Guest on 30 Mar 2013, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: force

Postby Beautifun » 03 Apr 2013, 12:57

Hey guys!
It's been day 2 since I had the LIS. The doctor saw a fresh wound at the time, so he made two more inscisions to balance it out.
My canal has been nicely loose!
BUT!
I have this stupid problem with going to the bathroom more than once a day. I go about three times, and it's tearing my incisions! Is there any way I can stop myself from going this many times? This is really upsetting me, and messing up my recovery time. :C
Beautifun

Postby Luka » 03 Apr 2013, 14:37

Hi Beautifun,
Did you just get LIS or did you get a fissurectomy, as well?
Since I haven't had surgery, I'm not familiar with the increased bowel movements. Hopefully someone can chime in that has and give you some help. You can also try posting in the surgery section.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Luka
VIP

are you getting your protein to help healing???

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2013, 11:26

Is there any way I can stop myself from going this many times?

So I would try switching up your eating times to see if that helps. That seemed to work for me in changing my bm's.
Sometimes just cutting back a little on our consumption will change our bm patterns.
After your LIS are you still doing all liquids? Are you as a vegetarian getting your protein to help heal the wound?
Keep your spirits up, we share many of your sorrows. We need you to stay strong so one day when you beat this you can then strengthen others.
HTH
Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2013, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adds

Postby Beautifun » 05 Apr 2013, 07:22

@Luka, I got the LIS - but I'm not sure what a fissurectomy is though. Problem is, I've had this 2-3 times/day movement even before the surgery. But maybe as Buttastic recommended, I should consider planning my meals.
@Buttastic, I stopped the fast on the 3rd day in, as hunger overcame me (such weakness!). Since then I bided my time until the surgery day though. If my problem persists for another few days, I may have to consider getting back on the fasting bandwagon, no matter how hard it is.
As for protein, I've been eating plenty of almonds, beans, seeds, etc. Otherwise, it's steamed/cooked vegetables as a staple!
It's awfully frustrating when when you get retorn, but I'm certainly trying to be positive about it! I'm very thankful I had the LIS.
Beautifun