Another new person--VERY ITCHY

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Another new person--VERY ITCHY

Postby erMINI » 04 Apr 2013, 10:04

Hello friendly fellow butt sufferers...I just joined after lurking for a few days. I have Crohn's disease, fully remitted at present (no symptoms) but found a skin tag last spring. This next part may gross you out (yeah right), but I had a "very good friend" at the time tie it off for me. We didn't get the whole thing, but most of it. It had no feeling then, just extra skin that I didn't like. Now it's a real fissure "with residual tag," I think it's a new tag, and maybe 2. I see a lot of you have spasms and pain, mine is more just a crazy itch. First visit (ever) to CRS has confirmed that I need an internal sphincterotomy, scheduled for May 8, but I don't see how I'm supposed to wait that long. I'm doing my best to not scratch because it makes it so much worse, but also gives me a great couple seconds of relief. I've been scratching it while I'm sleeping which I can't really help. I got a Kabooti pillow (like a hi-tech donut) a few days ago and am using it in the car and at home. I like it.
I've always had great success by using Nupercainal for any pain caused by irritation from too much Crohn's diarrhea, but it's not helping this--this is a different animal. CRS prescribed Proctozone (Anusol) which is also not helping, just makes a bigger mess when I scratch!! I've been waking up in the middle of the nights to take warm baths but I wonder if the heat makes it worse. Last night I slept with an icepack and it felt wonderful, but it's a bit awkward. Still, if it's the only thing that helps, I will keep it up. Yesterday was the first day I really felt like it was affecting my life--I was grumpy while out with a good friend, and she doesn't deserve that. Today I cancelled plans with another friend. I'm supposed to go on some long road trips (two in April) that I'm hoping not to need to cancel.
I've been reading all your things about fiber, Miralax, prunes, vaseline before poops. I've been eating a LOT of prunes (thought I'd try that in lieu of Miralax) which has definitely softened things and I'm not bleeding when I poop anymore, but the itching is worse. I'd rather hurt and bleed than itch. I haven't tried the other tricks--but ANYTHING that will help itching would be most welcome. I think the skin around my butthole is going to break down if I keep this up. Image
One more thing--surgeon (of course, this is how they think) said that he'd only be making 2 tiny cuts that should heal in a few days. Only part of me believes that, especially after
reading everything here. But he says that he doesn't go all the way in and do 1/2 inch or more. Kind of just like papercuts. I have become an unreliable friend lately and I don't like that.
Thanks for listening, I know this was long. Glad to know you guys are out there--although sad that we all have to go through this.
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Another new person--VERY ITCHY

Postby erMINI » 04 Apr 2013, 14:48

Update: this may very well be an allergic reaction to the Anusol (Proctozone) that the surgeon started me on last week. It wasn't bothering me then, except when I pooped!
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Apr 2013, 15:34

Hi erMINI,
It's really interesting you mentioned you could have developed a reaction because I was thinking along similar lines....People do report itching with fissures but it tends to be now and then or at particular stages during the healing process, sometimes it can be just a bit of fecal debris in the area, which can be easily remedied by washing off...Yours sounded far more extreme compared to anything else I've read and people do develop reactions to the various ointments used in treating or relieving the fissure, whether Anusol or Nitro or whatever. Hopefully stopping that will help your situation immensely! I'm always a bit wary about putting anything on that area because it is so sensitive. I've used Aloe Vera straight from the plant, which I found incredibly soothing and stronger products when the pain was worse but always alternated them so I didn't develop a reaction or became so used to something that it became ineffective. I've been reading so many positive reports on Coconut Oil lately that I've been quite excited about trying it out to see if it helps with various things!
Hope all goes well with your surgery, keep us updated and true friends will stick by you thick & thin, so don't worry about your unreliability as a friend - you just need to focus on yourself a little more right now :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby erMINI » 04 Apr 2013, 17:11

Thank you for such a patient, nice response, Optimist. It's definitely on the mend now--not going to put anything except ice on it until it settles down completely and then I'll do Nupercainal again as needed. Wow that was scary. Sorry for the enormous rant! But ranting is one of the purposes of this community, methinks? :)
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby Rachael 1984 » 05 Apr 2013, 04:49

Feel free to rant erMINI whenever you like!
I have used so many creams on my butt that it is shot!
Finally had the Botox yesterday, waited 2 months from initially seeing the CRS! Damn NHS waiting times!
Then when I came around from the anaesthetic he had banded 2 internal hems, which I didn't know I had!
I have posted on my experience yesterday on the forum.
Sorry to hear you have crohns too, I have IBS, my poor sister in law is under investigation at the moment for suspected crohns and she was told the other day she has fissures now too. We talk butt problems to each other. This helps, so does this forum.
I have cried and cried over this. Good luck with your surgery, keep us posted. Xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby erMINI » 05 Apr 2013, 10:42

Last night was as bad as the nights before. I changed my bedsheets in the middle of the night thinking maybe there is some Anusol in the bed from the several bad nights. Taking cold baths now. Slept OK after changing. I wish I could stop peeing and pooping until this is handled.
erMINI
Fibre Addict

Postby erMINI » 10 Apr 2013, 16:50

Finally cleared up enough to use my beloved Nupercainal again. I have a bumpy rash there now but as long as I leave it alone it's tolerable. After having this episode of disgustingness, I think I'm going to postpone my surgery. So I have a little pain when I poop. Whoopdedoo. As long as I keep eating prunes, I don't bleed, and CRS said it was totally elective. I am dreading any possible itch post-op. Thanks for the support 'round these parts (no pun).
erMINI
Fibre Addict