3.5 Weeks Post-Op Fissurechtomy, LIS, Skin Tag Removal

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

3.5 Weeks Post-Op Fissurechtomy, LIS, Skin Tag Removal

Postby lmaci » 02 Apr 2013, 14:34

I am a healthy, active, 44 yr old female, diagnosed first time at 19 with a fissure, as you can see I was able to manage it for years, had been to CRS 8 years ago again in concern and of course he recommended manage with nitro or surgery.....well, Boom, it hit me hard out of nowhere and within 5 weeks was approved to have surgery.
Had a Fissurechtomy, LIS, Hemmoroidechtomy and large skin tag removed almost 4 weeks ago, feel pretty great considering, healing has gone through different stages. First week stayed home mostly, had people around and did little walks after day 3 as instructed. Took it easy week 2 as well but more active, each week more active. Went to the gym light workouts started after 2 weeks, but did long walks in the interim.
Only discomfort still having, I still have a little discharge but not much, still wear pads, I still have swelling where it looks like skin tag was removed as I do see some of the dissolvable stiches still there. Feel like just today swelling has gone down a tad. I have passing of gas at night and before I get out of bed in the morning.
Wanted to know if anyone has experienced my discomforts and how long they lasted?
Thank you
No pain at all from BM's, still do 2 sitz baths for cleanliness a day.
lmaci
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 3.5 Weeks Post-Op Fissurechtomy, LIS, Skin Tag Removal

Postby suzyljank » 03 Apr 2013, 14:54

Hi
You sound like you're doing really well for all you had done. Are you taking pain meds or are you able to get by without them? With all the procedures you had I'd say at 3 1/2 weeks you doing better than most. LIS usually takes 6-8 weeks with full recovery at 6 months to a year. Adding a fissurectomy, tag removal and hemmies surgery I would think it would take a little longer to recover fully. Keep your bms soft and continue with sitz baths. I think it's wonderful that surgery is behind you're on the road to recovery. Take care Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby lmaci » 03 Apr 2013, 22:21

Hi Suzy,
I am grateful that I feel this good, but it took a lot of stages still some twitches of healing down there for sure, passing gas in the evening, and still looks a bit swollen and can see the stiches that have not dissolved yet, not completely normal, and still sometimes feel the need to BM which my doc said was normal for any rectal surgery your brain thinks you have to go, but I am functioning well able to workout and feel comfortable to start work again as I start a new job in a couple of days. I was out of work when all of this came to a head so I was able to take it easy.
Crazy, I only took the Percoset the first 3 days after surgery, then switched to Advil 2 every 4 hours, I was too scared to get constipated. Honestly I was in so much pain the first 2 days the pain meds barely worked. I have not taken Advil in almost a week for pain down there.
I had a really good CRS who does this surgery all of the time and the whole hospital staff knows him and sees him there every day, I had seen him 10 years ago for this so I trusted he would do a good job and certainly knows what he is doing.
Did you have the procedure?
lmaci
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 04 Apr 2013, 07:53

I had LIS a few years ago. It didn't help me much. I have too much scar tissue from hemmie surgery I had a long time ago. I'm scheduled for anoplasty in a few weeks and am very scared of the pain. I'm not in pain much right now but because the area can't stretch much another tear is just around the corner and the last one took me months to recover from. My bms are pencil thin and will never get better unless I have the scar tissue removed. I'm glad you're doing so well. Hope you back to 100% soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby lmaci » 06 Apr 2013, 09:16

Hi Suzy,
I will have to look up anoplasty to find out what it is, but I wish you the best, I hope you have a trusted Doctor? The large skin tag that I had removed was of course a lot of scar tissue from years of my body trying to heal the fissure, having that removed was necessary, it has taken the longest noticeably to heal but now that I am 4 weeks post op, I see a huge diff. I have not been constipated in a long time which was my culprit from 19 years old.
ok well good luck and yes that scar tissue (aka) skin tag (aka) sentinel pile needs to go...
lmaci
Fibre Addict

Postby momof7 » 06 Apr 2013, 15:10

Imaci, thank you so much for posting.
As soon as school is out, I'm probably going to have everything done that you had done. I have several skin tags and several hemmies that my doc described as vertically existing from internal, through the anal wall skin to external. They get so huge after difficult BM's but reduce before too long. My bottom looks like a grape cluster.
These spasms hurt so bad, and I CAN feel the internal hemmies even though most folks say they are not usually symptomatic. But I'm so fearful that the surgery recovery is going to be unbearable. Your post gives me hope that I can make it. I feel confident that *one day* it will be worth it.
Wish I could go ahead an get it over with. :)
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby lmaci » 07 Apr 2013, 19:04

Hi momof7,
I am glad my post helped, I was helped by many posts on this site. If I would have had it done years ago I would not have had this attack of sudden unbearable pain and the Skin tag or Scar Tisssue that developed from it. But my fissure pain, was so on and off over the years until 3 months ago and that's also when I really noticed the large skin tag.
I was totally scared/anxious have never had any surgery or general anesthesia. Thought of what he was going to do was so freaky. I knew I had no choice it was at the point healing itself was not going to happen.
I am healthy and active to begin with and have always eaten pretty good and drank tons of water. I will say that I would tell anyone to give themselves 2 weeks off, no way if I was working could have worked until at least 2 weeks post op. The first few days are weird and painful but Just try to go with it and know there will be different stages of healing and follow the post op instructions EXACTLY. I did not want to but I got up and walked around the block and built up to walking more by day 5, not to sweat but to keep things moving, blood flow, bowels...
I did stay at a families house the first week since I live alone and needed someone the first 2 days and it was just nice to have close people around since you are resting a lot and need to and I really was determined to heal.
Everyone heals differently and take suggestions on how you can prep for it, get a good CRS ask questions, I brought a list with me, they are used to that....
If you have any other questions, I am happy to help from my experience....
lmaci
Fibre Addict

Postby lmaci » 07 Apr 2013, 19:09

Hi Suzy,
I am sending you positive vibes for your upcoming Anoplasty, I researched a bit, it looks intense, but I did see that it has a great success rate, I am sorry you are going through this and I truly hope this will resolve the issues your having and you will rest and heal well :)
lmaci
Fibre Addict

Postby Rachael 1984 » 08 Apr 2013, 03:05

Good luck Suzy, I hope this can heal you for good. You deserve to be happy and healed and be able to put this behind you. You are a strong person to go through all of this, and I am sure you will keep getting stronger. Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!