Anyone had a 2nd LIS and this time it worked?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Anyone had a 2nd LIS and this time it worked?

Postby jdhouseholder » 07 Apr 2013, 09:08

I had LIS surgery back in May (10 months out). Never felt I really healed the fissure all the way but had many pain free days and had gotten my life back! But last week, had a rough BM and tore it again. I had a few minor setbacks during my recovery, my Dr. said that his first cut could have been too conservative. I think he knew how bad I feared the incontinence issue. So my question is this, I need any advice on having a second LIS done. Please if any of you have been through this share your stories with me. I know I cannot live with this unbearable pain and would love to hear from you about (hopefully successful) 2nd surgeries. I really appreciate it! Image
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Anyone had a 2nd LIS and this time it worked?

Postby suzyljank » 07 Apr 2013, 09:42

HI, I'm so sorry your pain has returned. I had LIS a few years ago, mine too never healed me completely but I managed until last year. I tore again and while I used to heal in a few weeks it was taking months and I'd retear again. I finally went back to my CRS, he told me my fissure was a symptom of an underlying problem, I have anal stenosis (scar tissue). I asked for a second LIS but he explained that I need to address the scar tissue. I need anoplasty. He will remove some of the scar tissue and create a flap using healthy tissue to take it's place, (a skin graft type of thing) giving my bottom tissue that will actually stretch when I have a bm. If your bottom can stretch properly and you keep you bms on the softer side you reduce the chances of tearing. I'm schedule for the 26th. I'm scared though, I wake up in the middle of the night terrified of surgery again but if I don't fix this it will not get better on it's own. What's the hardest for me is that right now I'm not in pain, but my bms are very very thin because of the scarring. I never knew I'd know so much about my own butt at this stage in my life but you learn fast because of the pain involved.
There are a lot of things to take into consideration before a second LIS. If you're not sure get a second opinion before you do anything else. There have been a few people on this forum that had LIS twice and did well but I don't remember there names. Whatever you decide to do all the best. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby jdhouseholder » 07 Apr 2013, 10:25

I'm so sorry you are going through this Suzy. I would be scared too. Thank you for the suggestions and I think I will try and get a second opinion. My problem was that I cut back significantly on the miralax and had a very hard stool. I do not think I have a problem with passing large stools, just a problem if they are hard, usually the first part of my BM. I wish you the best of luck on your surgery! Just ready to be pain free and get my life back just as I know you are too. I can't believe I know more about butts at the stage in the game either. Please let me know how your surgery goes.
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 07 Apr 2013, 11:39

I haven't had LIS, but I have read of a few people on the board who did go through a second LIS and it finally did the trick for them. Fissulyna is one member who comes to mind if you want to do a search for some of her posts in the advanced search area of the site.
This was her success post.
http://anal-fissure.org/t1659-the-end-of-my-story
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby jdhouseholder » 07 Apr 2013, 13:05

Thanks so much for the info jr2! I'm checking it out now.
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Postby andyk123 » 09 Apr 2013, 09:08

I have had the surgery twice, check my thread called travelling for surgery
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jdhouseholder » 13 Apr 2013, 19:30

Thanks andyk.
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Postby jdhouseholder » 13 Apr 2013, 19:41

Ok, I read your thread but never saw how you are doing now andyk. Did this second surgery do the trick? My surgeon said he would like to try Botox before doing another surgery because it is temporary and if I have any incontinence issues we would know and instead of cutting again. Hoping I heal with Botox. We shall see.
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Postby Alyssa » 12 May 2014, 14:06

jdhouseholder wrote:Ok, I read your thread but never saw how you are doing now andyk. Did this second surgery do the trick? My surgeon said he would like to try Botox before doing another surgery because it is temporary and if I have any incontinence issues we would know and instead of cutting again. Hoping I heal with Botox. We shall see.

Do you have any update on your situation? And if Botox has worked?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26