Oops I did it again...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Oops I did it again...

Postby MomOf2Monkeys » 06 Apr 2013, 16:19

Hi everyone. I'm a 31 mom of 2 kids. So happy to have found this board as I have been going through this alone for so long. My husband doesn't understand and it's not really something you discuss with friends.
I was diagnosed with my first fissure shortly after the birth of my daughter 4 years ago. At first I was told I probably just had hemorrhoids and was sent home with cream which of course, did absolutely nothing. After begging my doctor to do something else for me, she finally sent me to a surgeon who then told me it was not hemorrhoids and was actually two fissures, mostly likely caused during childbirth.
I guess I was relieved to have an answer but when she told me my options, I didn't feel so great again. Surgery or "let it heal". Well I did not like the idea of surgery so went with the 2nd option. I took the internet and over time, I found some things that helped a bit and over a few months I eventually seemed to heal. I never was quite right again down there, and would often have little twinges of pain if my BM was a little larger than normal or I didn't drink enough water. So I have been very careful and thought I was pretty much passed it all.
But it happened again. We went on vacation over March break which meant a lot of eating bad food, alcohol and and no exercise. This also meant that I got backed up and when I returned, I just knew. Before I even went to the bathroom that day, I knew it wouldn't be good. My stomach was in knots for days and I knew every day was just getting worse. I finally tried one of those overnight laxative teas but it was too late. The next day I went but it was very thick and dense. I definitely tore again and this time I think worse than the last based on the amount of blood.
So now I'm back to the start. I'm about 4 days in and unfortunately my next few BM's after that one were just as thick and dense which definitely didn't help. I finally got a chance to run out to the pharmacy today and pick up a stool softener. I made a fruit & greens smoothie which I find always helps as well and I emailed my doc asking for another prescription for the cream she gave me 4 years ago (I can't remember the name but it was for the spasms and it had heart meds in it?). I found it was quite effective in helping the spasms stop.
So I'm going with my plan that worked last time, although I'm excited to read these boards and see if there are more suggestions I haven't tried. What worked for me before was for me to make sure my stools were as loose as possible (without being diarrhea because that just ends up stinging really bad and is harder to keep the area clean I find). After each BM, I fill the bath with about 6 inches of warm water and just sit in there for a few minutes to make sure the area is clean - I believe I used epsom salts too so I should pick up some of those. And the part that helped me the most, which I'm sure sounds so ridiculous but I swear by it... stand up to take a BM.
So please send me healing vibes and I will do the same. :)
MomOf2Monkeys

Topics: 1

Re: Oops I did it again...

Postby FLhopeful » 06 Apr 2013, 16:33

I'm so sorry, MomOf2Monkeys. I hope you heal well.
The thing that has helped me the most has been Miralax. It made my hellish spasms mostly go away.
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby marg6043 » 06 Apr 2013, 17:13

Welcome MomOf2monkeys, sorry to hear that you are having fissure problems again.
Sadly one of the things with fissure is that they seem to come back again and again.
Even when we believe they are already healed they find a way to flare up on and off.
My fissure or lets say this round of fissure problems started 10 months ago, when I was properly diagnosed with a fissure, it got better after 6 months, to the point that I believe to be truly healing, then I got the norovirus and after two days of not BM because 4 of nothing but diarrhea my fissure opened again and my stools were no even hard just bulkier.
Now it hurts again to go.
While I am avoiding my CRS recommendation of having surgery I had the feeling that at the end that is going to be the way to go for me to see if this problem goes away for good.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby MomOf2Monkeys » 06 Apr 2013, 18:46

marg6043, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I also would like to avoid surgery but I do accept that I think one day I won't have a choice if this keeps up.
FLhopeful, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not at the point where I want to start using laxatives on a regular basis as I find they make me feel sick but I'll keep the suggestion just in case. :)
Wondering, has anyone found that polysporin helps at all with the healing? I bought some last week for another reason and it was sitting on my bathroom counter and I was just thinking maybe it's worth a try? I can't see how it could hurt at all I guess.
MomOf2Monkeys

Topics: 1

Postby marg6043 » 06 Apr 2013, 21:17

MomOf2Monkeys, I have never tried the brand polysporin but I have used neosporing I believe to be the same, it does helps temporarily to ease irritation.
But also desitin baby cream, this creams coat the area where the fissure is and the relieve comes when the stools do not get to irritate the raw fissure.
That is why I make sure I lubricate with vaseline or vitamin E Carlson suppositories before a BM all the time, then a sitz bath.
Most of the irritation can be avoided like that, creams that are for baby rash, lubricants that contain an oil base will help.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby guiness » 07 Apr 2013, 07:40

It seems like even one bad meal is enough to ruin the next day for me. I had one glass of white wine and some pasta and i was burning, spasm all day. I think i retore yesterday but not as bad as the first time.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 07 Apr 2013, 13:15

Hi momof2,
I do exact same as you I stand while having a BM I find it doesn't sting as much & I'm too scared to sit down. I'm on 2nd round of Botox. Couldn't live without movicol you should try it, it's very easy on tummy.
Good luck with your healing 😊
Deleted User 2543

Postby Guest » 07 Apr 2013, 14:17

Hang in there MomOf'
I fought my fissures for well over a decade before I beat them. I too kept thinking I would not have any more problems then....BAM!!!Round 300 or whatever.
Luckily for me I beat it with a balance of diet and exercise alone without resorting to surgery.
Enough re-tears will eventually make many of us very conscious of what goes in and to take stock of everything that can be causing these little ass-assins.
Hope your fight will not take as long as mine did, but after finding the cause I am now walking head high too every "John" in the USA knowing that Mr. Fissure is not waiting for me.
At our jobs they have signs saying "Attitude is everyhing".
Well, dealing with AFs "Fortitude is everything".
Keep up the fight. Yes, smoothies are our friends as I lived on liquids during many a healing fissure.
You say..
make sure my stools were as loose as possible (without being diarrhea because that just ends up stinging really bad and is harder to keep the area clean I find).

Some people refer to all loose runny stools as diarrhea, is this how you refer to them?
When I would go on a strict LD, my stools would come out like pee, without any stinging. But of course there would be other times that my bowels were very loose with stinging. Sometimes it was diarrhea, but other times it was the food I ate.
Never could pinpoint what caused the stinging, but the liquid diet never did.
HTH
Last edited by Guest on 08 Apr 2013, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: add

Postby 3 years now » 08 Apr 2013, 08:36

Buttastic - could you please give us an overview of your liquid diet.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 08 Apr 2013, 14:51

Sure
For some meals I drank pure fruit juices, orange, apple, grape and the mixed type.
Other meals I would take nothing but milk, V8 and some yogurt and protein shakes.
I would also pop a multi-vitamin just in case I was missing something.
Some people may think of a LD as throwing their meal in a blender for a thick smoothie, complete with all the added condiments additives and other irritants.
Perhaps if thats the case then I can see if they would have burning loose stools.
HTH

Last edited by Guest on 09 Apr 2013, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add