Trying to Stay Optimistic

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Trying to Stay Optimistic

Postby Peppermint Patty » 08 Apr 2013, 10:48

Hi, fellow AF sufferers! First of all I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum. Your words, stories and advice have been such a big help and comfort to me over the last few weeks.
My story starts on Jan. 21 when a slight itching and burning quickly turned to horrendous pain (especially during bms). My cousin recommended I see her GI doctor, so I went to see him on Jan. 28th. He diagnosed me with a thrombosed hemorrhoid (one with a blood clot). He gave me some hydrocortisone cream to use and advised me to use stool softeners and take warm baths. He also said things should improve over the next 3-4 weeks.
Well, the swelling subsided but the horrifically painful bms continued. I called the GI, and he recommended I see a colorectal surgeon. I was a bit reluctant to see a surgeon (the idea of surgery terrified me!), but I just couldn’t deal with the pain anymore. I saw the CRS (who luckily was wonderful – very patient, very reassuring), and he told me that the clot was gone (Yay!), but that I’ve now gotten myself an anal fissure (Ugh!!!) and that’s what was causing the excruciating bms. He told me to take warm baths (I bought myself a sitz bath, which has been a great help) and use Miralax once a day along with the ducosate sodium I was already taking (twice a day). I’m also drinking more water than I ever drank before! (I’m not a big fan of water, and I’m not quite at 8 glasses a day, but I do get about 5-6 in.) I’m also gradually adding more fiber to my diet, and I’m forcing myself to get up and move more throughout the day. (I work as an office assistant, so most of my day is spent sitting – not good!)
Well, anyway, I went to the CRS for a follow-up a couple of weeks ago, and he said the fissure is healing nicely. (It doesn’t always feel like it’s healing, though. I am sleeping better at night, and I’m walking more like a normal human being again, but sitting is still quite an issue. Hopefully that will improve with time, too. I’m trying to be optimistic…)
I do live in constant anxiety of the dreaded bm, though, and I wake up every morning literally shaking with fear, not knowing what to expect from the day ahead. My stress levels have gone through the roof! How much pain will I be in today? Will I be able to manage it? I have to admit once I started taking Miralax my bms have become so much softer, but I still live in constant fear that things might not go so smoothly.
On the bright side, even though the fissure is a constant concern, it is making me live a healthier life. I’ve always had a terrible diet, so adding fruits and veggies is a good thing and more water is a good thing, too. At 42 I knew I was getting older and should take better care of myself, but I just wasn’t doing it. Guess I had to learn the hard way!! I’ve lost 10 pounds in the last two months, and people are telling me I look wonderful. (Now I just need to FEEL wonderful!!)
Anyway, once again thanks to each and every one of you. I’ve been reading this forum every day since my AF was diagnosed, and all your advice has been invaluable! Best wishes to you all for pain-free days ahead!!!
Peppermint Patty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Trying to Stay Optimistic

Postby marg6043 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:07

Peppermint Patty hey there, I am glad that you got a proper diagnostic and now you know what to do to minimize the pain and while healing.
Fissures are like an open sore specially in the mouth, the usually get worst when they are healing.
Just make sure that you get enough lubrication before a BM to minimize irritation and that the stools are soft.
Hopefully because your fissure is new it should go away soon and things will get better and back to normal for you.
Next step is to make sure that you keep the hems under control so they do not thromboses again.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Re: Trying to Stay Optimistic

Postby Peppermint Patty » 09 Apr 2013, 07:33

Hi, marg6043! You're right, a fissure is just like an open sore in the mouth. Such a horrible place to try and heal anything!
I've decided to look at this as a wake-up call to get myself to a healthier lifestyle because I certainly don't want the hems or the fissure to flare up again. And I've also developed a lovely skin tag to act as a constant reminder!!
And you're also right about the fissures getting worse as they're healing. Mine's been acting up like crazy today - trying to get some things here at work done while doing my best to ignore the discomfort from the fissure. What a life...
Hope all is well with you, and thanks for all your posts to the forum. Some of the best advice I've found here has been from you! Image
Peppermint Patty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1