Define spasms from fissure pain please?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Define spasms from fissure pain please?

Postby The End is Nitrate » 08 Apr 2013, 20:40

Hi- I've read so much here about pain and spasms but I'm wondering if folks would define their experiences of pain. I would consider myself to have anal pain that has various stages and levels etc. but I would like to know fully so I am defining my experiences on par with others and I'm not speaking at odds with the generally perceived meaning. Thanks in advance
The End is Nitrate
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Define spasms from fissure pain please?

Postby Luka » 09 Apr 2013, 00:52

I am curious about this, as well. When I think of "spasms," I think of cramps. I don't get what I call cramps in my butt, though. I'm thinking most fissure pain comes from the internal sphincter muscle getting tighter and squeezing the open wound. I found one colon and rectal surgeon's analogy online that said it's like having a finger cut and constantly squeezing and putting pressure on it. That's the main source of the pain, from what I've read. That's why LIS helps so much with the pain and allows the fissure to heal.
For my fissure pain, it comes and goes. I can only think of this as the internal sphincter muscle acting up and tightening around the wound. Is that what people refer to as spasms?
I'm curious what others have to say about this.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby CrackinUp » 09 Apr 2013, 02:13

Spasms can feel different depending on what's going on 'down there'. It's possible to have spasms which are controlled by your mind only without any cut or sore skin at all. This is classified as Levator Syndrome. A spasm with no fissure is still very painful and does feel like cramp in your ass. Like a very pressurised feeling ranging from uncomfortable to really painful.
Add an acute fissure to this situation and wow, you have through the roof pain levels and knife-like pains. I believe this is because the muscle pulls on the edges of the open tear as the muscle spasms. Also, this prevents the tear from healing for obvious reasons. Mine were so painful they would reduce me to tears. Whilst they were still painful post healing, the pain never brought me to tears.
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby momof7 » 09 Apr 2013, 05:24

Warning...graphic descriptions...
There are no hard and fast rules for what is what, but....
Since my fissure doesn't hurt when actually having a BW, though I can sense it's presence, I believe most of my pain comes from spasms of the sphincter. Before the nifedipine I also had levator spams (though not confimed by the doc because I didn't discuss all the varying symptoms). My spasms also create internal hemorrhoid pain. But I think I have decided which is which.
The spasms begin as prickling sensations or quick knife jabs, and quickly turn into a tightness in the anus that resembles a strong need to have a BM. But there is nothing to move. (Applying the nifedipine confirms the anal tightness and the absence of stool.) This tightness can actually feel like contractions in the anus, or it can become a burning sensation. (match size, cigarette size, cigar or even golf ball sized area of heat from nagging warmth to burning hellish heat)
My fissure in at the posterior midline, where most are located, and I have no discernible pain there during spasms. When the spasms are really bad, it gives the sensation that if I could place something in the anus to give it something other than itself to "squeeze" it would feel better. (Doesn't work.)
I also have a particular area to my left side which hurts especially bad during spasm episodes; it originates with my largest hemorrhoid that spans the spectrum from internal, through the anal opening, to external. The hemmie tissues in the opening get squeezed so that it produces sharp , deep pain in a very pinpoint location.
When I had the levator spasms I also had a full time sensation of heaviness or fullness in the rectum, the vagina, and the perineum. I realized once those spasms stopped that I had been having trouble relaxing to urinate. But after 7 live births, there are all sorts of misshapen pathways in the pelvic floor.
Also, another type of pain is the feeling of something "rolling around" in the rectum, like raw flesh on raw flesh. It also feels like sitting on about 18 toothpicks at times. I have learned for me that this means there is stool in the rectum, not enough to pass, but enough to cause discomfort. If the stool is hard and dry it causes more stabbing pains, when it is soft and unformed it causes a duller prickly or rolling sensation. I believe these to be because of my internal hemmies more than spasms, but this pain will trigger the spasms.
Hope that was helpful for some.
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 09 Apr 2013, 11:38

My AF spasms were just like the ever popular back spasms.
For no apparent reason you feel a shooting throbbing pain. Literally it feels like the muscles around the fissure ( epecially that darn sphincter) start contracting.
I've had them in every situation, while walking bam!! ouch!!! where that pain come from.
While sitting yikes!!! ouch!! what did I do wrong.
Nothing; as they say over use is one of the causes of spasm and we all know everything down there is overused.
Like the little twitch in your arm or leg. These are like miniature spasms. Of course theres no discomfort in these miniature twitches because they are not twitching next to an open wound and they're so small.
And back spasms are so painful because of the nerves they are pinching in the lower spinal column.
I've heard people who are not suffering from AF complain of their Sphincter spasms and interesting they do not mention any terrible pain associated with it.
I'll put that thread over in the www section here
Update...yep, from what I'm seeing, muscle cramps charlie horses are indeed forms of muscle contractions or spasms, may feel a bit different with our sphincter because of its circular structure
HTH
Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2013, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adds