Magnesium for post anal fissure pain?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Magnesium for post anal fissure pain?

Postby RichLen4 » 10 Apr 2013, 13:35

Hi All. I went from having a hemorrhoidectomy using the THD treatment to an anal fissure (as apparently stage 4 hemorrhoids and fissures go together). After four months of Niphedipine the AF was healed but I was having continued tightness and soreness as well as awful nighttime cramps. These wouldn't go away. My CRS told me the fissure is completely healed and said it's the underlying tissues that over such a long period of time have been effected. I likely have either Levator Ani Syndrome or Proctalgia Fugax. It didn't really matter which as both are a tightness of the sphincter or rectal muscles and there isn't much that can be done. They are basically Charlie Horses of the rectum and that's just what it feels like. I began taking Magnesium pills as magnesium is used in the treatment of charlie horses and is a natural muscle relaxant. Wouldn't you know, with 1000 mg of Magnesium a day, POOF the tightness and cramps were completely gone immediately. The bad news is I get wicked diarrhea. When I take less Magnesium the tightness and returns. Anyone have a solution to this...I want the healing to continue. After 2 years of Hemms and AF it was like a miracle when it suddenly lifted. Are there types of magnesium that don't cause diarrhea? or an alternative med?
RichLen4
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Magnesium for post anal fissure pain?

Postby jr2 » 10 Apr 2013, 15:14

Since these conditions can be really difficult to treat, and the magnesium was helping you so much, it definitely would be nice for you to be able to continue with it.
I take a form of magnesium (both for a heart arrhythmia and for migraines) called Magnesium Asporotate that is made by Solaray. I suffer with chronic diarrhea problems due to severe digestive dysfunction, but I've never had this form of magnesium cause me any diarrhea problems out of what is ordinary for me (in other words, it doesn't matter if i take it or i don't take it). I only take 400 mg though, so I don't know if 1000 mg would have that effect or not. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass that along for what it's worth.
My cardiologist also mentioned trying a brand called Slow-Mag which is a time released, highly absorbable formula that might be something to consider. Since I don't have a problem with the Solaray one I haven't tried anything else.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby galamat » 10 Apr 2013, 15:22

Hi RichLen4
I read this article yesterday is called "Magnesium: The Most Powerful Relaxation Mineral Available":
Apparently there is a type of magnesium that doesn't cause diarrhea.
"• The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.
• Avoid magnesium carbonate, sulfate, gluconate, and oxide. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).
• Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate."
I have the same symptoms. And I feel that when the fissure is getting better the tightness begins to attack, specially if I'm close to my Menstrual Period.
Here is the full article in case you want to read it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/magnesium-the-most-powerf_b_425499.html
I'm very glad to read that magnesium has worked for you
galamat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby momof7 » 10 Apr 2013, 17:27

So, I'm thinking out loud here...
Time to do some net research.
Does high intake of potassium cause electrolyte imbalance, e.g. magnesium levels too low?
I know that it happens with protein compounds like arginine and l-lysine. (People who have simplex-2 and overeat chocolate end up with a fever blister, then take l-lysine to remedy the blister.)
If so, that could be part of my problem. I've been using artificial sweeteners and they are high in potassium.
momof7
Salt Bather

Postby Anonymon » 10 Apr 2013, 17:49

momof7 wrote:So, I'm thinking out loud here...
Time to do some net research.
Does high intake of potassium cause electrolyte imbalance, e.g. magnesium levels too low?
I know that it happens with protein compounds like arginine and l-lysine. (People who have simplex-2 and overeat chocolate end up with a fever blister, then take l-lysine to remedy the blister.)
If so, that could be part of my problem. I've been using artificial sweeteners and they are high in potassium.

I think I developed an electrolyte imbalance from taking large amounts of Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) before bed, and taking potassium supplements actually helped me with it. The hydroxide is poorly absorbed, but if you take a lot of it all at once with nothing else on an empty stomach... it certainly hit me after a week.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby momof7 » 10 Apr 2013, 17:53

well, I remembered that calcium is on the see-saw with magnesium.
But with all the hours in an epsom salt bath, I doubt my mag levels are low.
Learning to manage these things is arduous work.
momof7
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 10 Apr 2013, 20:44

Hi, while magnesium is a good supplement 1000 mg. is over the daily recommended dosage no matter which type you take. I have the same symptoms as you do, the Charlie horse up the butt feeling. It's beyond awful. My CRS explained to me that the scar tissue left behind after hemmie surgery and lis stops the muscle from stretching when you have a BM. When you try it just feels like it gets tighter. If it's mild, dilation can help but if it's more extensive removing the scar tissue and replacing it with a flap (like a skin graft) may be the way to go. I'm having the flap procedure in a few weeks. (And I'm terrified). I think the worst pain in the world is that Charlie horse feeling. Have you tried sitting on a heating pad when it happens. It helps. If you have a hand held shower head, spraying really warm water on your bum while it's happening helps too. I hope you find relief soon. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic