6 days post-LIS - constipation central :(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 days post-LIS - constipation central :(

Postby canadianmaple » 06 May 2013, 03:34

So apparently the whole LIS thing isn't the magical cure I wanted it to be! I've been staying positive until today, but after reading a bunch of your comments, it doesn't seem like all the pain I'm experiencing with the BMs is normal.
The thing is, I've been taking medication (Movicol and stool softeners) for a couple years to manage the fissure pain and constipation has been very rare for me until now. The doctor prescribed me 'Laculose' and I was advised to use it instead of Movicol. Maybe that was my mistake, but anyway, I haven't had an easy BM since the surgery and only yesterday did the external pain from the wound lessen enough for some light walking.
I've been very strict with the dieting. Smoothies, salad, juices, lots of water, roasted carrots and sweet potato, soups, a tiny bit of chicken and a granola bar. That's it! So why does it feel like I've been feasting on pizza and big macs? Ugh!
I've switched back to Movicol this morning. Ditching the Laculose is about the only thing I can think to try. I'm supposed to be back at work in two days but between the long bathroom breaks and self pity crying episodes, I don't think they'd want me. Anyone have this problem? Or not have this problem, but feel like giving me a bit of advice and/or consolation?
-Aly
canadianmaple

Topics: 2

Re: 6 days post-LIS - constipation central :(

Postby suzyljank » 06 May 2013, 04:46

Hi, I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time. Are you taking pain meds? If you are they can be quite constipating. A single dose of miralax or lactulose may not be enough. You may want to add a dose of milk of magnesia to get yourself going. Surgery itself can also slow you down. If you can walk well enough moving around helps too. If you're still having a hard time talk to your doctor again. Hope this helps. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby ravians » 06 May 2013, 05:14

gud advice from Suzy..... constipation ruins lis. nature of every body is different so try different things to keep ur bm soft n not constipated.
try fresh it also contains insoluble fibre n psyllium husk. n try increasing dose of ur laxative. hope u will get it through.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby canadianmaple » 06 May 2013, 06:30

Thank you both for your support and suggestions :) I've got some prune juice in, and I'll see about the milk of magnesia. I'll probably overcompensate, but I'll up the laxative meds too. I'm only taking the typical drug store painkillers, but I'm trying to limit my usage to as little as possible. Agh! I just don't know how this happened.
canadianmaple

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 06 May 2013, 12:38

Oh, Aly! Hang in there. I'm also struggling 7 days post-LIS to manage my BMs- they're like clockwork but too hard (until today... I'm on my third go and, although the consistency is where it ought to be, they're now too frequent). This is rough... I thought the surgery was going to be this miraculous procedure that would give me my life back in a few days. I've been taking Miralax along with stool softeners and Metamucil, and clearly I overdid it somewhere.
We'll both get this this down pat. I've had more than a few self-pity parties, and I'll be the first to admit they don't help. Try to stay positive- or at the very least stoic- that you will beat this. Be patient with yourself, and you'll get there. Maybe Milk of Magnesia will be more effective for you!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Anne37 » 07 May 2013, 19:46

I'm sorry to hear of your setbacks too, Aly. I agree that LIS was not the quick fix I was expecting, but still try to remind myself I'm in a much better position pain-wise than I was before the LIS. I am 12 days out of surgery and still having pain with BMs. Each day seems to get the teeniest bit better, and I can definitely say the duration of the pain is much shorter. I am also struggling to get the perfect BMs. If I use enough stool softener to get them the consistency I want, then I'm going 3 times a day, only hours apart. If I cut back the stool softener my stools are less frequent and harder than I'd prefer because I am so afraid of re-tearing. I've also noticed that lots of fruits, veggies, soups, and water work great for me (but again up the frequency of my BMs) and whole grains make my stool extremely bulky - ouch! My fissure was a result of frequent constipation so I have it in my head that I'd rather have too many BMs each day as long as they are softer.
I also gave myself more time than you are as far as going back to work. I went back 10 days after my surgery and could not imagine going back any earlier. It took me a full week before I even saw a glimmer of hope that things were getting better! It took 8 days before I thought "okay, I can survive if I go back to work." If you need more time and can take more time, you may want to consider taking at least a few more days off. You're body has been through a lot! Best of luck!
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Postby Kristy38 » 11 May 2013, 11:28

Hi Canadianmaple,
I've been going through an extreme amount of pain after 2 hemorrhoidectomies, anal fissures and an anal fistula. After 5 surgeries and 7 admissions, I'm about to have LIS surgery this Thursday.
Just wanted to mention how I have been coping with keeping the BM's at a reasonable consistency. I think you will find that either just Movicol or just Lactulose will not be enough. In hospital, they prescribed me with the following laxative combination, which mostly works for me, but I find if I deviate from this routine, it causes me grief.
Every morning, I take 1 x Movicol sachet, 40mls Paraffin Oil (Parachoc), and 20mls Lactulose (Actilax). Then at night I take another 1 x Movicol sachet. Sounds like a lot, but its the only thing that works for me, as I have chronic constipation, plus with all the problems I have with my bum, I'm desperate to keep it soft!
I was advised not to take fibre, as it bulks up the stool, and if you are not drinking enough water, it can make things worse. A low-fibre diet is apparently good while you are healing.
Hope that helps!
Kristy
Kristy38
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?