Post LIS: Ideal Stool on Bristol Scale?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post LIS: Ideal Stool on Bristol Scale?

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 06 May 2013, 11:28

Hi guys,
A quick question for the board experts: after LIS, what is the ideal stool consistency on the Bristol Scale to aid healing? My CRS says to aim for toothpaste consistency, and I'm not sure where that lies on the scale. On Miralax, stool softeners, fiber, water, etc, I am consistently at a 3 (or if I'm lucky it will have the bulk of a 3 but texture of a 4). What do you think: am I overdoing it on Metamucil (2 tsp/day) or fiber? Do I want to be somewhere between a 4 and 5?
After surgery I took MoM and had two days of 5s. I felt like I was healing. Do I abandon the Miralax and go back to MoM?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Post LIS: Ideal Stool on Bristol Scale?

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 06 May 2013, 16:13

After surgery, my CRS recommended I have stool the consistency of melted ice cream. I reduced my fiber intake to about 10 mg a day and took a full dose of Miralax every morning. That gave me the consistency I was looking for.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 06 May 2013, 16:14

Thanks- I'm gonna give that a shot! I'm thinking I'm fiber overloading.
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2013, 16:16

i just typed out almost the same response as tfckmb ... so, i erased it and i'll just say "ditto" .
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby howtobepositive » 07 May 2013, 00:11

Thats a good question. I had mu surgery a week ago and I have consistently on type 6 and some days a mix of 5 and 6. I take two tablespoons of metamucil clear (benefiber like) and a docusate 100mg every night.
Recently I tried adding a tabelspoon of psyllium to my daily fibre intake and that seems to have helped a little in giving my stools some kind of shape.
Any recommendations? Am I doing too much fiber? I dont want to stop the docusate because I have on that for months now and dread having even one partially hard BM. Other than that my diet is pretty clean, salads, cereal, rice, lentils, homemade East Indian food; I eat very little gluten and no dairy.
My surgeon also said to have them like toothpaste but no such luck yet.......
Any other recommendations?
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 07 May 2013, 16:56

Personally, I am a HUGE fan of Miralax. You may have to experiment with the dose, but it NEVER fails to keep my BM's nice and soft (right now I am taking 1/2 dose every morning). My CRS told me to take it for the rest of my life. I found a coupon online for $2 off per bottle and bought a ton of it at Walmart.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 07 May 2013, 17:09

I think Miralax has been helping me too... which is great because it's flavorless (unlike Milk of Mag) and disintegrates into liquid really well (unlike Metamucil). I understand the fear of changing your regimen... I've been taking Metamucil, which is bulking, and I think maybe I shouldn't be. But I don't want to constipate worse (if I can use it like a verb... :p). If you could get your BMs up to a 5, that would be pretty darn good during your recovery. Sounds like you need to gradually increase your nonsoluble fiber. Perhaps some wheat toast? Oatmeal?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 07 May 2013, 17:38

I agree. I reduced my overall fiber intake (both insoluble and soluble), as I felt it was making my stool too bulky. Obviously, everybody's body is different, but reducing my fiber intake (on the advice of my CRS) has made a huge difference. My stools are now mostly a soft (but formed) 4 or 5 on the Bristol Stool Scale - nice and smooth.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist