New here, really wanting some relief! Here's my story..

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here, really wanting some relief! Here's my story..

Postby Kreaybutt » 12 May 2013, 21:08

I'm 24 years old and gave birth to my first daughter 5 months ago. After having my first BM I got a fissure, it healed in about a week and didn't bother me again till 5 months after when I got ANOTHER fissure after getting a little constipated. It's been bad for 2 weeks and just started to bleed today and I think it tore a little more :( I feel like I eat alot of fiber but my BM'S are so big and bulky, only in the mornings though. What gives? Should I use Miralax? Can you use it long term? I've been so depressed everyday about it that it takes time away from fully enjoying my daughter. Also, I'm a big foodie! I love all food and miss eating whatever I want!! I'm naturally very thin and since having my fissure I've went from 107 to 97 lbs... What kind of food can I eat to help gain weight? Would Ensure drinks irritate fissure? Sorry for so many questions but I feel like you guys are the only ones who understand and can really help! Thanks in advance
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: New here, really wanting some relief! Here's my story..

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 12 May 2013, 21:56

I hope you can find a little time to browse the posts on this site! I think the recipe is a little different from person to person. I just tried Miralax for two days and hated it! Made me 'too loose' (ie the runs, even at a half dose). My advice is to start drinking plenty of water, keep eating (it seems counter-intuitive but you need the strength and nutrition), but focus on a good balance of soluble and insoluble fiber. I am really sensitive to stool softeners, like Colace or Miralax (apparently). I take just one Colace in the mornings now. I take a small psyllium husk supplement, but mostly just include fiber along with protein and healthy oils. I find eggs and fish and chicken just fine to digest. Don't make my mistake and take too much insoluble fiber along with fiber supplements (even with lots of water)--can make for bulky stools (ouch!). Best of luck! :D
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Re: New here, really wanting some relief! Here's my story..

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 May 2013, 13:34

Hi Kreaybutt,
First congratulations on your baby! Wonderful news but yes, a real shame that your fissures are distracting you from 100% focus on your little one.......
Diet-wise just be careful not to "overbulk" on fibre - too much bread/ pasta is not great and never white - Switch it for brown or wholegrain and minimise to a couple of pieces a day. Red meats are hard to digest and fatty/ processed foods too. Try to imagine all the natural foods you would give your daughter as she weans - lots of pureed fruits/ soft veggies/ rice (only in your case - brown!) and this is kind of what you should be aiming for as they are all gentle to digest and fissure-friendly too. Drink at least 2.5 - 3 litres of water a day (perhaps more if you are breast-feeding) I know how hard it is when you love your food, but it's quality rather than quantity that counts - I eat huge portions of fruit/ veg/ salads/ soups/ fish and then average portions of chicken/ turkey/ brown pasta/ rice/ beans etc. Whilst the fissure's acute, you have to cut down the harder to digest stuff and eliminate the completely no-go foods (junk food essentially) The one food I have never had an issue with is actually chocolate (specifically the darker cocoa laden variety) and I love it! Great for putting on calories I also lost, and full of Magnesium for keeping your stools soft. Of course, I might be just lucky I get no issues with it but maybe you are OK with it too??........After the birth of my daughter, I tore badly and was prescribed Lactulose as a Stool Softener, which has always worked great and I was also advised to take Fybogel (1 sachet per day) Just experiment with this as I now actually get enough fibre from my diet alone so don't have the need for Fybogel .Lactulose is completely safe for breast-feeding mums and can be taken indefinitely.
The Ensure range looks really good actually (just googled them!) but it looks like different drinks are aimed at different needs, so I'd just be sure to consume the ones that will be relevant to you (like the fruity ones and the ones with all the Omega3 & Bio additives)
All the very best to you!!! (& always use lots of Vaseline pre BM to help lubricate that delicate area!)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again