Fissure torn again after 2 months?!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure torn again after 2 months?!

Postby Leon1 » 19 May 2013, 12:02

Hi guys,
I am 30 years old and i have had hemmoroids and an anal fissure for the past 3 years. It has been a nightmare and i was in constant pain after bowel movements. I would be in pain for up to 12 hours at a time. I also had blood which made it worse. A couple of months back i had 6 hemmoroids banded but the doctor told me that i also had an anal fissure!!. He gave me Rectogesic cream which i have been using once a day along with Movicol. Now that my bowel movements were soft i did not get any problems i thought that my fissure was healed. Untill he other day i had a slighter harder bowel movement and felt a little pain and saw some blood again. I fear that i have may have torn my fissure again! Image I am at a loss at what to do? Has the fissure torn again or is this a minor setback? Any advice would be appreciated! :)
Leon1

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure torn again after 2 months?!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 May 2013, 15:21

Leon1,
The up's and down's of a healing fissure are likened to a rollercoaster by many of us!!
You fissure may well have healed substantially thanks to all the good stuff you have been doing & the Recto, and it's possible you have not torn at all - merely aggravated the area a little, which will cause the pain and blood you describe. If major damage has been done, I suspect you would be feeling it again by now. If you have irritated the fissure, chances are you have regained enough strength in that area to overcome this very minor set-back and within a day or two, you'll be feeling OK again. Only time can tell, but fingers crossed, it will all be fine.
Do not stress unduly over it - Accept that the fissure area was aggravated again but you'll get over it. It is still incredibly fragile down there for a while but just trust that your body is healing - The banding itself was a huge procedure!! 6 of them! and I complain about my one pretty much painless hem!! Just give yourself plenty of time for everything to calm down again, focus your attention away from your bottom if you can and keep up all the good stuff you are doing!
All the very best to you in your healing........ :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Leon1 » 20 May 2013, 16:59

Thanks for the advice Ever the Optimist.
I am glad there is so much support out there. Since the last incident i have had a couple of less painful bowel movements so i am hoping it has not caused as much damage as i thought. Just need to be careful with what i eat, i am always fearful that it might tear again. Your right i need to start to focus my attention away from it! Glad i found this forum though!
Leon1

Postby Luka » 20 May 2013, 17:51

Hi Leon1,
I just wanted to echo what Ever the Optimist said about fissures being a rollercoaster ride. She's spot-on. It's been a few months for me and I'm still healing. I have good days and some bad days still where the fissure gets aggravated for whatever reason. Unfortunately, in most cases, the path to healing is not a straight and narrow one. There will be twists and turns and bumps in the road every now and then. You just have to remind yourself that you're healing and that setbacks are common with this problem. It doesn't mean you aren't healing. So try to keep positive. : )
I wish you well and hope you heal from this very soon!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby snowdog » 22 May 2013, 13:50

Hi Leon1,
I had a fissure a few years back that was treated all wrong by a bad doc and took a year to heal, but now I am dealing with a new one as of one week today. My first fissure I won't even talk about because everything was goofed up about it (although it still healed completely...keep that in mind!)
Maybe I'm being premature with commenting, but I'm not about to talk with my friends about this, so this forum is my only outlet. Anyway, my fissure is apparently on the smaller side compared to others (though I have yet to read about differences enough to know that much) and is being treated with diltiazem/lidocaine and even in the short time I have been at it, it does seem like it goes up and down. I'm keeping all my bm's totally easy, have no bleeding or pain as well. What I am judging mine on is the amount of stinging I get int he shower and when I apply the ointment. Some days it has felt like nothing to do both. Today was knife-like! No rhyme or reason. Hard to keep positive, but the good people on here definitely help matters! I'm no doctor, but it sounds like your hard bm irritated and possibly tore the fissure (since there was some blood). I'd bet you that things right now are not as bad as when you first got it, though -- (pain, amount of blood, etc... all the fun details). Keep that in mind; know you are healing. Our bodies want to heal and are always working on it. Keep positive. Know you are not alone and that there are a LOT of people with fissures not even on here. We can only imagine their stories!
snowdog
Fibre Addict

Postby Leon1 » 29 May 2013, 04:43

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Just to update: since the incident i have made sure all my bowel movements are soft by using Movicol. I have also kept up the regular use of Nitro. I have not had any pain or bleeding since so hopefully i am back on track. Using this forum and reading peoples stories i have realised that this is going to be a long road to healing but i will get there in the end! Thanks again guys!
Leon1

Postby marg6043 » 29 May 2013, 16:01

Leon1, sorry to hear about your fissure re tearing, but like others said before me, that is the hard road to recovery.
Now you have to remember that you have already a procedure for your hems, 6 hems are a lot of banding for the delicate area of the anus, you know that when the hems falls off sometimes it leaves the area ulcerated, so it takes time to heal, top that with a fissure and you are going to be in some serious pain.
Hopefully your hems are already healed and is just the fissure giving you problems now.
Again like others said before me, make sure you keep the area as lubricated as you can to avoid any irritation on an already injured site.
I wish you the best in your healing.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8