Why did it heal before but not this time?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Why did it heal before but not this time?

Postby howtobepositive » 27 May 2013, 00:35

So Ive been dealing with an AF for 6 months now and went through LIS 3.5 weeks ago, still hasnt healed and I do have the pain but not the spasms :(
But I was wondering why is it that before it used to heal within 2-3 weeks with using diltiazem or another cream and without me watching my diet. The first time I had it was in 2009, then once in 2010 and 2011. Each time, the pain was only while BM and then discomfort at other time but no pain and no spasms and I was able to get on with my life and it would resolve itself without me having to worry. Through out those years, I had prolonged period (usualy a few weeks) where Id get discomfort but no pain and it would be resolved by the use of an ointment called nifedipine.
But this time my experience has been way more complicated and intense with tons of pain and spasms when I first tore 6 month ago. Then it started to get better with diltiazem and nitro and fiber supplements to the point where I was feeling good again and consistent use of nitro would give me almost all day pain free. But I didnt want to use it for the rest of my life so went through LIS, but sadly event hat hasnt resolved the situation yet.......I actually feel worse off, but Im comparing apples and oranges because the only reason I felt good before LIS was the consistent use of nitro, who knows how bad it would have been if I wasnt using that. But what dont understand is that the LIS and nitro do the same thing - relax the sphincter - nitro temporary and LIS permanent - then why is that I would have no pain while using nitro as long as I used it consistently every few hours. In other words, the nitro and LIS do the same thing which is relaxing the sphincter and not actually fix the fissure itself, then why do I still have the pain, because supposedly the sphincter is relaxed and there is no spasming......
After the LIS I dont have any spasms and only a little bit of pain while BM but a lot of discomfort and moderate knife edge/burning pain almost all day. It comes on approx 2 hours after a BM and then gets worse slowly, then tapers off later in the day........
Is it just that this is a more nasty one? I also want to mention that my overall health has declined a lot over the last 2 years so may be that is a contributing factor as my body isnt able to deal with this as good as it used to be able to. Another thing is that with this and other health concern, I have become a "worrier" and I do have an anxiety issue - could that be it??
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Why did it heal before but not this time?

Postby ravians » 27 May 2013, 01:39

About ANXIETY I would say mother of lot of diseases it causes ur body ri release a lot of chemicals in brain n blood stream that disturb the normal functioning . so first if all don't get depressed thoughvery much natural reaction in ur situation.
did u c ur crs n ask about this pain n healing post op . by now it should start getting better. n don't regret u choose the right option LIS will help healing. n try any pain killer for few days it will help keep ur mind off the fissure pain n relax ur body. n don't eat fried n frozen food in my case I noticed it worsen up things.
keep posting updates n Di visit ur CST to discuss.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby ravians » 27 May 2013, 02:14

About ANXIETY I would say mother of lot of diseases it causes ur body ri release a lot of chemicals in brain n blood stream that disturb the normal functioning . so first if all don't get depressed thoughvery much natural reaction in ur situation.
did u c ur crs n ask about this pain n healing post op . by now it should start getting better. n don't regret u choose the right option LIS will help healing. n try any pain killer for few days it will help keep ur mind off the fissure pain n relax ur body. n don't eat fried n frozen food in my case I noticed it worsen up things.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ravians » 27 May 2013, 02:19

ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 27 May 2013, 06:49

Hi HTBP, I definitely think Anxiety contributes to the whole Fissure cycle. I have been a lot better since taking anti anxiety meds.. I will continue to take them as long as needed until i heal(God only knows when that will be). I was so anxious and depressed i didn't want to get out of bed, and i was a total wreck.I am dealing with it a lot better nowadays.I am sorry you have has LIS already. Can you talk to CRS and see what other options are available to you...? Maybe another LIS or Botox. Keep going and maybe consider taking some meds for the anxiety. Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!