100% Healed Naturally - Here's my story.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

100% Healed Naturally - Here's my story.

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 May 2013, 12:31

Just reposting this to provide a little global hope & inspiration to a few members currently going through "lows" with their fissures right now or worrying about/ suffering re-tears
Hello everyone,
Today my chronic fissure was confirmed 100% healed. Here's my story......
I'd been dealing with my chronic fissure for 1 year and 5 months to be precise.
It started at the beginning of December 2011, I was in sheer knife-stabbing agony with it until the end of January 2012, when I was admitted for an emergency appointment. Following an immediately scheduled Examination Under Anaesthetic (EUA) the fissure was diagnosed and I was put on a 7 week course of Diltiazem cream.
In the meantime, I acquired an abscess & a fistula, which took a lot of focus off the fissure and I underwent a simple Fistulomy to treat the Fistula in June 2012 (another story but with a very happy & successful ending).....
Prior to the Fistula op, and some time in March 2012, I came off the Diltiazem and the difference in the way I physically felt was unbelievable. My pain levels were hugely decreased and although I continued to have some spasms and a feeling of pressure in the anal area for a couple of months after, everything was manageable. I felt I was getting my life back on track.
Just to add that I have suffered huge stress-related issues with the fissure to the extent I was prescribed AD's because I wasn't coping and hit rock bottom mentally. These also played a major role in my healing, "lifting" my moods back to a level where I gained renewed strength and more determination than ever to beat this thing. They are not for everyone, but they worked for me.
Following the Fistulomy, I was pretty much focused on the Fistula recovery - Incidentally, and for anyone who is wondering, this had NO link at all to the fissure. It was a totally separate and unfortunate occurence.
I healed extremely well from the Fistula surgery. It took about 4-6 months for complete healing and to the point I would never have known I had suffered a Fistula.
The Fistulomy was performed under GA and it was also revealed at that time that I had two small internal piles.
In the meantime, the fissure continued to heal, slowly but surely, week by week.
Things got better & better. I was having no pain with BM's, I never bled although I continued to get mild twinging from the fissure site - just a gentle reminder that it was not quite healed and for me, a valuable warning to ensure that I continued with all the good dietary and toilet habits that I had learned through the whole thing and NEVER ever to strain or push again during a BM. I did however start to experience a whole new change of symptoms - feelings of general soreness, itchiness and "pricking" sensations, which I initially assumed were related somehow to the fissure as the main sensations were coming from the fissure site. These were not major, infact nothing compared to that original fissure pain but enough for me to feel the need to go back to my CRS today for an update.
The "twinges" from the fissure I was experiencing finally stopped.
In the meantime, I drew my own conclusions on those sensations and with a lot of valuable information acquired on this very site and a lot of internet research, I self-diagnosed my internal Sentinel pile, which was never particularly visible! I would never ever recommend anyone self-diagnosing anything but with the amount of knowledge I feel I have acquired over the last few months and the fact I now know my bottom so well, I just knew and sensed that I was correct in my thinking!
This morning, I saw my CRS. He performed a thorough internal investigation, which unlike previously, was painless.
He confirmed that the sensations I have been feeling were a result of minor scar tissue and the formation of the classic Sentinel pile! The fissure was 100% healed and the piles have shrunk hugely. He was beaming and so was I!!! He said he never wanted to see me again in the nicest possible way!
Going forward, he had two pieces of very important advice:
1) Never allow your body to get constipated. Continue always & forever with good diet habits and never ever force a BM. Do whatever you need to do essentially to keep those stools soft!
2) If I ever had a recurrence of major fissure pain, he advised me to get straight to a GP for Nitro/ Diltiazem and use it religiously for 6 weeks but he did stress that if I followed the above step, a recurrence was not likely.
So this is my story and I now have hopefully the final hurdle to overcome - the reminder of the fissure! - The classic Sentinel pile - but, my CRS did advise that even that with time, this would very possibly shrink and become less bothersome. He strongly advised me that he would NEVER consider removing it and was also against any form of pile-banding because these can create further issues in such a delicate area.
To anyone dealing with a chronic fissure, never ever give up hope!
Chronic fissures heal and even if you do have to take the surgery route, you will get there.
We are all so unique and heal in our own way and in our time, but have faith in your bodies' healing powers.
Positivity, patience and inner strength are key in the recovery process.
This is what helped me:
1) Diltiziam Cream (7 weeks constant use & internally applied twice daily or after every BM. I applied it as internally as I was able to)
2) AD's (not lightly recommended) but for me personally & with previous issues of depression & anxiety, these helped "lift" me from the big black hole I felt I had fallen into and renewed my strength/ positivity & determination more than ever to get through this.
3) Pre-lubricating the anal area prior to every BM with Vaseline to protect the tear and assist in easy passage of stools.
4) Using a shower head only for post BM clean-up. No tucks, tissues, No soap, No baby wipes - Simply a hand held shower hot ( alternated between hot & cold water to thoroughly clean the area)
5) Jumping into a hot bath after cleaning-up to promote blood flow to the area (sometimes with/ sometimes without plain Epsom Salts)
6) (This one I discovered a bit later on but would have helped a lot if discovered earlier) Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil after every BM, inserted a little into the anus and externally. Wonderfully soothing & moisturising.
7) Change of diet to totally fissure-friendly foods, eliminating red meats/ alcohol/ caffeine/ "white", fatty, convenience, spicey, fast & processed foods and replacing with wholegrains & browns. Firm favourites for me have included Oranges (or OJ with the "bits") Beans/ Tinned fruits/ Brown Rice/ Plums/ Spinach & Believe it or not - Chocolate!)
Image Drinking a large glass of water after EVERY meal and regular daily fluid intake of water/ juice or herbal teas
9) Lactulose as a stool softener (twice daily)/ Tbsp Oil orally at night. I supplemented with Magnesium recently after finding this to be excellent.
10) Have always taken Vit C/ Zinc/ B Complex
11) Making a conscious effort to reduce my stress levels generally and to be calm & mindful when having a BM.
12) Distraction! - To remove constant focus off my bottom!
13) Squatting instead of sitting on the loo.
14) Eliminating Straining & changing this as one of my bad toilet habits.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: 100% Healed Naturally - Here's my story.

Postby galamat » 29 May 2013, 12:43

thank youuuu!!!
galamat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Asore Arse » 29 May 2013, 13:12

Thank you too!
Just a quick question .....why are caffeine and alcohol not fissure friendly?
And .....how do you do the squatting? Do you use a bowl? Or do you climb up on top of the loo? I'm interested to know as I read an article a while back about squatting, them promptly forgot it till I read this tonight....interested to try but what r the logistics? ... Thanks
Asore Arse
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 May 2013, 15:11

Hi AA,
Too MUCH caffeine (and to be honest a cup or two would probably not cause a great issue) narrows the blood vessels (a vasoconstrictor) and you need to try and keep those blood vessels as open as possible to promote the blood flow and healing in the area. It can also be dehydrating, again if taken in large doses, but it's all to do with moderation and I would probably drink additional water if drinking a lot. Alcohol, again in moderation. Too much alcohol again dehydrates (which is why when I have a glass of wine these days, I always drink a glass of water too) I do notice a link with a slightly harder and darker stool after drinking alcohol.
So, I'd just say, in the early days with a painful acute fissure it's probably just best avoid these or take in moderation until things have healed a little more.
As for squatting, I simply balance myself on the toilet seat in the squat position (not too low because that seems to exert more pressure on the anal area) I've got pretty good at it now! I almost get myself into a meditative state as soon as I adopt the position now, where I find I am able to balance with no issues and just focus mindfully on the stool passing smoothly down the anal canal and expelling painlessly. For me personally, everything falls out far more easily, quickly and completely. I find it more comfortable and am less likely to strain in any way....I think every squatter probably has their own way of doing this! I've read of people that make adjustments to their toilets to make it squat-friendly, some use trays/ bowls - I guess it depends on what works best for each individual. The link below is a good read as to why squatting is recommended.
http://www.toilet-related-ailments.com/squatting.html
All the very best to you in trying it out! You've definitely nothing to lose....
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Asore Arse » 29 May 2013, 15:24

Hi ETO
Many thanks for your response and explanations. I have cut out alcohol, as I've noticed that for me it makes my stools loose and unformed, so in an effort to firm up a bit (but not too much!), I've stopped drinking alcohol for now, oh hum.
Thanks for letting me know about the impact of coffee....will consider more moderation, I have one day at the mo....but maybe will have one caffeine free days. Thanks also for letting me know about squatting, I'm impressed that you can balance on the seat, WOW, inspiring......not sure I will manage this..... But as you say there re other ways to start trying this out.....and yes nothing to lose! Thanks for the link you posted also I will check it out soon. Image
Asore Arse
Salt Bather

Postby marg6043 » 29 May 2013, 16:16

I am glad that you have been healed,Ever the OptimistI am already on the 11 month mark of my fissure problems and while is no gone is a lot more manageable than in the beginning and I don't spend all day thinking about it anymore.
I guess I just have to give it a littler more time to see if will be gone for good or not. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby guiness » 29 May 2013, 16:29

I think i got mine from drinking too much for too long, too dehydrating. Avoid drinking with this condition.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 May 2013, 02:03

Marg,
Image From following your posts and based on my own experience, I think you are doing incredibly well, if that's any consolation to you.
Just not thinking about it all the time, is a really positive and encouraging sign!
Keep up all the good work and I'm sure you will get there, and hopefully as soon as possible too..... :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby Guest » 30 May 2013, 05:02

Oh wow... you have been through a lot. A fistula? I can't imagine anything down there other than a fissure. I am very sure, your post will help a lot of fellow sufferers who either, have already been, or are currently going through this ordeal. Your post seems quite promising and reassuring, especially on the dietary strategies that one must consider for prevention.
Chocolate ! Now that's the word that caught my attention ! I wish, I had known that. I would've had lots and lots of it to overcome depression.
Thank you for sharing that info.

Postby marg6043 » 30 May 2013, 06:57

Ever the Optimist Thanks, I am a fighter, I never let anything get me down too much, If I fall I will stand up and keep on going.
I will not let a fissure take over me again, like it did for a few months in the beginning of my fissure journey. :D hopefully it will go away eventually.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8