How long can you take nifedipine?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How long can you take nifedipine?

Postby thisunpleasant » 28 May 2013, 23:28

Hello all,
Well over 3 months with Nifedipine twice a day here and wondering if it's okay to keep using it every day. Anybody talk to a CRS regarding this? Thanks so much.
thisunpleasant
Fibre Addict

Topics: 15

Re: How long can you take nifedipine?

Postby Kreaybutt » 29 May 2013, 05:43

I have not talked to my crs about it but I did do research on it and patients have done 2,3,5,6 month intervals on it so I would assume its ok to keep taking. My doc did tell me to give her a call whenever I finished mine and she'd call in a new batch to my pharmacy. I've been in it about 2 months
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby Luka » 29 May 2013, 12:46

I take Diltiazem, which is similar to Nifedipine. I've been on it about 5 months now. I tried to stop, but got some pain again, so I continued it. I'm not sure when I'll stop it, but I do know it's safe to take long-term. It won't thin the skin like hydrocortisone.
Some people develop allergies to it by taking it long-term. Usually the reactions are lots of itching and a rash on the anus. If that happens, you have to stop the medication.
As long as you can tolerate it, I think it should be fine to continue to take as long as you need it. You might want to try weaning yourself off it (like taking it just once a day or a few times a week) at some point and see how you do. You can always take it again if you get more pain. In my case, surgery is not an option for me right now (I have no health insurance and cannot afford it), so the Diltiazem is all I can do. It really does help, although I hope I can stop it soon.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby jr2 » 29 May 2013, 12:46

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't develop a skin reaction to it. Remember that when taken orally it is a blood pressure medication that some people take for the rest of their lives. Given that, there is not much to worry about using it topically where the vast majority of its action is only taking place at the sphincter muscle itself. There are people with chronic fissures who keep using topical nifedipine for years.
jr2

Postby guiness » 29 May 2013, 16:20

People with heart problems take it for life. My doctor said people are on it for months as long as you are improving with it.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby thisunpleasant » 29 May 2013, 18:18

Thanks all! Very helpful info here. Take care
thisunpleasant
Fibre Addict

Postby Mrs B » 02 Jun 2013, 04:34

I have been administering Diliatazem cream for over 6 weeks now yet I noticed something on the package that said to 'discard after 28 days'?! Is this now a useless exercise?
Mrs B

Topics: 1

Postby Luka » 02 Jun 2013, 23:40

Mrs B wrote:I have been administering Diliatazem cream for over 6 weeks now yet I noticed something on the package that said to 'discard after 28 days'?! Is this now a useless exercise?

My tube of Diltiazem says "Discard after 6/2/2013" (which is today, as a matter of fact... gotta pick up a refill this week sometime). I got mine in January, so yours should still be okay to use.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby missy moo » 27 Jun 2017, 22:30

Is nifedipine yellow? Does it have flecks in it like spots? Maybe crushed pills? Is it 0.3% nifedipine?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37