Multiple Abscesss and Operations, however no Fistulas.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Multiple Abscesss and Operations, however no Fistulas.

Postby Josh83 » 02 Jun 2013, 09:58

Hi, I'm a 29 year old who has been suffering with an abscess since January 2012. It all began in January 2012 when I started suffering with pain in my right buttock cheek. The pain began on the weekend and got worse in the two days, I saw the doctor on a Monday, who referred me to a Colorectal doctor. I saw the Colorectal doctor on a Tuesday who suspected I had an abscess in my right cheek. He perscribed me antibotics and asked me to go for an MRI scan. I went for a MRI scan on a Wednesday and was in immense pain with a high temperature. As soon as the doctor saw the scan I was admitted to hospital on a Thursday for drainage. The abscess was deep within my right buttock. The doctor told me a had a supralevator ischiorectal abscess.
Since then, I had had 10 more operations and the doctors are unable to find a fistulas. I have been on antibotics, painkillers and been off work for a long time. I really need so help. I do not have Crohns or IBD, i have numerous blood tests and colonscopies but the doctor are unable to tell me why I keep getting the abscesses.
Is there anyone else who is in the same position?
Josh83

Topics: 1

Re: Multiple Abscesss and Operations, however no Fistulas.

Postby Savaici » 04 Jun 2013, 11:50

Hi Josh83,
Sorry that nobody has got back to you that might be in the same position as you, but Image to the forum anyway.
Your situation sounds a little difficult to offer any advice on, with the medical history that you have behind you already.
I have not heard of abscesses that do not develop into fistulas, but then I confess not to knowing much about this at all.
My only thoughts:
Are you confident in the Colon and Rectal Surgeon that you have seen?
Have you had a recent MRI to see if there is a track from the abscess now?
When I look up this type of abscess on the internet, I only come up with five entries, and these are all in Danish! (lived in Denmark, so recognise that much).
Could it be some sort of infectious disease that they have not tested you for? I am just taking 'stabs in the dark' here, but I have had so many infectious diseases in my time that I do not take anything for granted. So, could you suggest that to your CR surgeon?
Really feel for you. If you prefer, I can move your post into the Fistula part of the forum where it might get more attention, though cannot be sure. Can leave a shadow of this post behind too. You could also post yourself under the fistula section, if you prefer.
Am also giving you some links to posts on here that might be of some interest to you to look through. Of course, like you, these are mostly people in pain, but you might find it useful:
http://anal-fissure.org/search?search_keywords=Abscess
http://anal-fissure.org/search?search_keywords=Fistula
We are here for you, whatever we can do to help. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jun 2013, 13:38

Josh83, I read your post and I have to say that you have more experience when it comes to having procedures due to abscess than any of us here with or without LIS.
You have lots to teach and advise us on how to keep a positive outlook in the face of so many challenges.
Welcome and please tells us more of your life experiences.
For your post I understand that the abscesses are within the skin in your buttocks no internal, right?
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby jr2 » 05 Jun 2013, 11:21

Hi Josh,
This is the rarest kind of abscess in the anorectal area and can be a real challenge to treat, and if the entire abscess isn't drained it will commonly recur and require more and more treatment. Do your doctors know the origin of the abscess? Was the origin peritoneal or anorectal? It definitely could be worth seeking out another surgeon to get some input since you're not having much success currently after 10 procedures!
Wishing you all the best.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jun 2013, 14:03

Hi Josh,
Sorry to read of your ongoing treatment of this issue.
I've posted a link below of a case study of an individual suffering a recurring supralevator ischiorectal abscess (and healed) - These are rare but you're not alone....They are difficult to treat and from what I've researched, unfortunately do require several (but minor) operations to treat them. It also appears a lot of the success is down to the method by which the abscess is surgically drained & treated and as Jnr2 says, it may be that the issue has recurred so often because it has never ever been properly treated/ drained. (In which case, can you seek an alternative & recommended CRS?) It might also be that whilst the medics are looking for a fistula as the cause of the abscess that this might not be the cause at all - Not all abscesses develop fistula tracts.
I would definitely seek another opinion on this and all the very best to you. I hope you find the help you need very soon.
http://www.hindawi.com/crim/surgery/2012/871639/
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here