sentinel pile is so annoying!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

sentinel pile is so annoying!

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 03 Jun 2013, 17:32

While the pain from my AF is calming down (hurray!!!!!), I'm more aware of my big external lump (the CRS types I consulted thought it was a sentinel pile). It's so big! It bothers me when I walk, which I do moderately for 30 to 40 minutes or when clothing gets up against it. I haven't opted for surgery (yet) and was told they don't usually remove these because 'it can be worse.' Are there any home treatments that might move along shrinking this giant blob? OK, it's not giant, but maybe the size of a squished pea. Does steroid cream work on these? I'm in-between doctors (and insurances) so asking you all for help! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Re: sentinel pile is so annoying!

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jun 2013, 14:52

Just 'Pain' Tiredhey there, I also have a large sentinel pile from years suffering from on and off fissures.
They do cause problems with swelling, irritation, burning and can enlarge substantially when the fissure is active.
But they shrink back when the fissure is under control, mine is so large it can cover the entire anal cavity, but like you said doctors will not remove them to avoid side effects and complications, my doctor already told me that if I get LIS he will leave the pile alone as is only skin.
Right now mine has turned into a piece of skin just hanging there as its no swollen anymore, but is not as large as it was when my fissure was active.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Jun 2013, 15:11

Hi Pain,
As Marge says, as your fissure starts healing, the pile starts to shrink and although it will possibly never disappear fully, hopefully with time and care, it will reduce to literally a tag of skin in that area. My CRS would leave this well alone if it's not causing excess pain or irritation as the removal of a tag can lead to the formation of another fissure....
I also have one but it has also shrunk considerably and although I can "feel" it now & again, it's really nothing now. It might be worth googling natural Witch hazel or Aloe Vera as natural remedies to help reduce the swelling and discomfort. Witch Hazel is supposed to be very helpful in treating piles, although I've not personally tried this.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 04 Jun 2013, 23:16

Thanks, guys! I think I had a very small skin tag dating back a long time. Maybe to childbirth. ??? Then since onset of the dreaded AF it's been a second, large thing. The first GP thought it a thrombosed hemmie! It's been pretty darn big ever since. I know I used steroid cream for the internal AF borders and just thought maybe it would help the pile. I still have some left and just wondered if I should try it. Any more thoughts fellow sufferers? ???? Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jun 2013, 14:41

Hi Pain,
You could certainly try it but I wouldn't use any form of steroid cream for long-term use. I doubt it would do any harm for very short-term use. I also have another small skin tag (also I believe related to childbirth!) but that doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore. Honestly, don't worry and try to be patient - it will calm down :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 05 Jun 2013, 23:30

Thanks, as patient as I've been, I have to remember more is needed! I've been having unexpected sensations and emotions as my pain levels have gone from very bad (i.e., needing to bite something during am BM) to manageable (not normal but under a 6 on the 1 to 10 scale). So, the pile has been more annoying. The am MB does not come out easily or normally (like before the AF). I think my sphincters are still shot! And I've been emotional, tearful every day. I think it's because I've let go of the ceiling, so to speak, and have fallen to the floor, in a collapsed pile. Grateful, tired, and noticing the annoying sentinel pile for the first time in weeks!! Can anyone relate?
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Jun 2013, 12:56

Hi Pain,
I think so many of us have hit your level with a fissure and when you're feeling low, stressed, frustrated and overwhelmed with it all, every single little ache, twinge, pain, annoyance feels 100 times worse than it possibly is. It's the time when you have to try and do whatever you need to do to readjust your focus - OFF your bottom! It's easier said than done I know but distraction works miracles...A change of scenery really helps. So many of us who perhaps go on holiday, get lost in another interest or issue, find that because that focus has been shifted off our bottom and onto something else, we actually feel a lot better! I've read so many times of people who go away and feel they are healed, only to get back to the same environment (and bathroom) and start to become consciously aware again of their issues......I also got so obsessed with my bottom in that when the fissure pain felt better, I'd start focusing on a pile that hadn't bothered me in ages and that began to bother me. When the fissure pain itself reduced, I'd notice perhaps more the pressure pain in my anus that I also experienced at that time & vice versa. It's almost like you're looking and waiting for the next thing to bother you in some perverse way!! We torture ourselves.
This happens under heightened stress levels, so if you can find a distraction, get some more rest, get out in the sun, take up an interest, these things really help. If it gets too much, even seeing your GP for a chat can be really helpful.
I can definitely relate but you do get there in the end :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 06 Jun 2013, 23:49

Thanks Ever, I had another day of low/medium pain discomfort but just as I'm heading off to work I'm noticing stretching and 'granola up the butt' type sensations. I thought, damn, can't I have one day of not noticing sensations in this part of my body!??? I do have distractions (e.g., meaningful work). I think it's more like because the big pain is gone I can feel all the other pains. Just a theory so far!
I'm also trying to be careful, because I have suffered a huge set-back after feeling normal for a month. So, for example, today was beautiful, I love to walk for exercise and getting outside. I felt so good I thought I would do my normal (pre-AF) walk up more hills than normal. At the same time I'm thinking, should you do this? I have re-torn badly twice after walking (!!) so it's really hard. The rational an irrational are too similar! I made it quite comfortably through the walk, but then felt I had made things worse with that granola sensation, which stuck with me through an afternoon of engaging, meaningful work. In my humble opinion, the physical realities of Miss Sentinel and Mr. AF do cause problems even if my emotional state seems quite good.
In the meantime, I'm trying the steroid cream at night and a sitz every morning and waiting, patiently, patiently, patiently. At about six months and counting....
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist