Fissurectomy and Hemmroidectomy last week

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy and Hemmroidectomy last week

Postby Juls814 » 15 Jun 2013, 13:32

Hello everyone. 
I wanted to share my surgery and recovery story, I know that I wanted to read as many positive accounts before my surgery and it was much easier to find the scary ones. 
Eight days ago I had a fissurectomy and hemmroidectomy. The hemmroid wasn't really causing me any problems, but my CRS felt that I needed the room since I am narrow. I did not ask why the fissurectomy and not LIS since I trusted my Dr. and given his years of experience and expertise I knew he would make the best desicion when he got in there. He did tell me after surgery that there was no way I would have healed my fissure without the surgery. Whew, glad I got it over with. 
The recovery is not fun, no doubt, but not the terrifiying ordeal that I anticipated. In actuality, the bowel movements have been somewhat unpleasant, but not as terrible as on my worst fissure-flare days, and those spasms lasted way longer. As fissure-sufferers, we really are a lot stronger and more prepared than we think- at least I think so. By the time many of us have chosen surgery we are well skilled at poop- maneuvers, pain relieving mechanisms and whole slew of other things that will help us through. What seemed to work best for me personally is to try to schedule my bm's, and then take a pain reliever about a half hour before. Although I did have a pretty routine schedule before surgery to cope with the fissure pain. Unfortunately, I did have a day or two with diarrea from the antibiotic I was given, and because I didn't know I was going to have that it came while I was doubling my dose of Miralax. I got a little dehydrated and felt like I was going to pass out. I want to say that during my recovery so far, that was the worst part. Mainly because it's scary. I also tried to us a sitz bath for a few minutes prior and this may sound gross, but when I feel like I did not completely have a movement I use the sitz bath, empty it and clean it afterwards. I really believe that this helped alleviate the pain from the bm. However, I did my business and cleaned up and got in the tub. 
The spasms after the bowel movements do not last as long as they did with the fissure, and they are relieved by the tub baths. My CRS did not recommed the sitz baths immediately after as he said that they put too much pressure on the area. 
I also alternated my pain meds between Advil and Percocet. For me, the first day or two the Advil worked best. However, for the slight spams, the Percoset seemed to take the edge off and helped to relax me a bit. 
Since February my life was revolving around my fissure. My work life, social life and family life. I was so weakened by the loss of control over my body that I succumbed to surgery because I felt like I couldn't go on living. Surgery is terrifying to me and I really was trying to avoid it, but thank God I had it done, especially now after he told me it would not have healed. And he was not the type of surgeon whose first option was surgery- we tried other methods first. 
I wish you all a speedy and painless recovery, and thanks to all of those on this board that inspired me and gave me the courage to get my life back. I am not 100% yet, but one day at a time..
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Fissurectomy and Hemmroidectomy last week

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Jun 2013, 15:21

Juls,
Thanks so much for coming back to report on your recovery and well done for getting through the surgery - Hopefully, you are now on your way to much happier and pain-free days again. Absolutely, one day at the time!! and wishing you all the very best in complete recovery - You will get there!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby marg6043 » 16 Jun 2013, 19:29

Juls814, girl you are doing great, what a nice post, to know that is people getting help and feeling well so soon after their surgery.
Your recovery will encourage many fissure sufferers to do what is best for them.
Thanks for posting.Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby torninhell » 17 Jun 2013, 00:17

Congratulations on your recovery, I hope that if I do end up with the same option (I'll find out next week) I have as good luck as you do.
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 17 Jun 2013, 05:22

Juls814,
Congratulations on your recovery you sound like your doing great just like i am. I agree with you we are stronger than we think.
I wish you the very best Image
Deleted User 2543

Postby momof7 » 17 Jun 2013, 16:03

been thinking of you as I am recovering.
I've had some setbacks, but nothing unusual for my surgery. Take care!
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby trieditall » 02 Jul 2013, 10:13

Juls, Just wondering how you are doing now that it looks like it's been over two weeks for you! I just had a fissurectomy and botox injection yesterday and am feeling a little desperate on the second day. I was told I'd be numb for 2-3 days but the numbness has already subsided and I wasn't given pain meds due to constipating effect. I am just a little discouraged about how long it will take to heal so I'm wondering how you're doing 2+ weeks later. Wish you well!
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10