New member, may be headed for LIS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New member, may be headed for LIS

Postby hoping to heal » 30 Jun 2013, 09:49

Wishing you all the best with your Botox results, ownmybum!  
This morning I had a tiny setback--minuscule amount of blood after a couple days unusual irritation, but I feel optimistic moving forward.
The precursors were these:  accidentally losing my water bottle on Wednesday which I think led me to drink less water than usual at the end of this week.  Overeating on Friday night (even though it was vegetarian).  Binging on Pringles yesterday at the beach when someone else picked out the snacks for the trip (too many Pringles was maybe the worst mistake).  Opting for a salad with chicken (meat is often a problem for me) rather than go the extra couple hundred yards down the Boardwalk for a veggie wrap.  Not drinking enough water throughout the day since I was distracted by the beach trip.  Not using any Nifedipine while at the beach and for a couple days before that.  
On the plus side the trend is quite good--6 incidents of bleeding in April, 4 in May, and only this tiny one on the last day of June.
Moving forward, at least I know what do.  Plenty of water, Nifedpine as needed, no more fiberless junk food, and eating small portions every time!  
Hoping to make July and this summer one big fissure free festival.
Also thought it was worth mentioning I went a total of 42 days with no blood, which I think may have been the best streak of no blood in almost four years when I began having fairly chronic anal fissure/hemorrhoid issues.
Last edited by hoping to heal on 30 Jun 2013, 11:21, edited 4 times in total.
hoping to heal
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby hoping to heal » 30 Jun 2013, 09:56

Oh, and hat-tip to Marg, I may experiment with Vaseline as a daily/regular lubricant--I appreciate the tip.  At the moment I don't like the idea of using Nifedpine all the time/indefinitely while I'm in what I'd call "more or less healed mode," but something non-prescription like Vaseline sounds like a great idea to use.  
With Nifedipine I've been transferring it from the prescription bottle to a tiny plastic screw top container that fits in my pocket so I can carry it around with me.  Maybe I'll start doing the same with Vaseline. Despite all the other circumstances I had going on, that might have been an excellent line of defense against what happened this morning.
hoping to heal
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 01 Jul 2013, 21:12

hoping to heal, thanks, Vaseline have been a life saver for me, I also use baby desitin in case I get irritated, I am healed now, but I still get an occasional irritation from the scar tissue and when I have more than one BM or diarrhea that is part of my problem.
I still follow my routine and I guess I will do for ever, just as a precaution and to make sure that if my fissure opens again at least I am ahead of the situation or at least try to be.
About the blood, have you have been checked that is not some internal hems?, because one week after my doctor did the internal exam and told me that my fissure was healed, I had an episode of bleeding and it was a lot, red and even the water was red, but not pain or discomfort, I know that I have a small internal hem and I believe that it was the reason for the blood, internal hems can bleed but they do not hurt, is been a month now and I had no other episodes of bleeding and the area is still pain free.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby hoping to heal » 02 Jul 2013, 08:10

Hi Marg6043, Glad to hear you're doing great a month after that episode.  
I do indeed also have some minor hems which could have been the source of the small problem I saw, though there was some minor pain and irritation in the fissure area.  It could also have been a separate, tiny nick unrelated to the previous fissure.  Either way, I'm back to doing very well now two days later, thankfully.  I'm taking the incident as a reminder to keep to what works a little better!
hoping to heal
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 03 Jul 2013, 13:32

hoping to heal, yes hopefully it was just a bit of hem bleeding, is interesting how the irritation in the area still persist mildly even when the fissure is healed, but is something you can live with because is not even close to the horrible pain of a fresh, in spasm fissure.
My doctor said that the scar tissue tends to get irritated but that is nothing to worry about unless it starts to be painful again.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby hoping to heal » 25 Jul 2013, 23:19

just wanted to report no problems since last posting on here.  keeping up the mostly veg diet, plenty of water, minimal wiping, twice daily metamucil and 200mg/night of docusate.  
marg6043--i think i'm totally on the same page regarding irritation of the scar--i do experience minor irritation that seems to be there most days, but i really do feel safe in saying my fissure healed at this point.  
i may get a refill of my nifedipine prescription which i've let lapse, just to have on hand and to see if i can improve the minor irritation a tiny bit more, but the situation is now definitely livable, and i no longer live in fear of bleeding, restricted activities or needing surgery.  hopefully things will stay that way, though i sense the Botox may be still in effect somewhat (about 4.5 months since i got the shot).  
hoping to heal
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 26 Jul 2013, 11:55

hoping to heal, glad to hear that things are going well, about the irritation, I just went a few days with more than unusual irritated area in my bum, but I just realized that is the tag that I still have in the area from the fissure, if I wipe too hard it seems to upset the tag, my doctor would not touch it when I asked him if he would remove it, and said that is better to leave it alone because it can cause more problems.
But now I am back to no problems, but I guess that sensation of been conscious about our bums after a painful experience will linger for a long time, hopefully eventually will go away.
We just have to be gentle with the area for life.:D 
marg6043
King Fissure